SFF.Network [SFF Network] Welcome to SFF Network

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah it finally happened! Congratulations guys, I hope this will work out for us all. One question, though: How will SFN sustain itself? There are no ads on the and the domain and server need to be paid for. What are your long term plans in that regard?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's something we're investigating currently. In the short term, operating costs aren't so high that there's much of a risk of us being unable to cover expenses, but we do feel that everything will have to pay for itself in order to be robustly "sustainable". We just want to find the balance between achieving that, and not compromising the experience of using either website (by blanketing everything in ads, for example).

TLDR: We're working on it, expect to hear more about this in the coming months.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It currently costs a bit under a $1 a day and I don't drink coffee so it's easily sustainable for now :p

Reactions: iFreilicht

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very nice to see this milestone reached for Kimera Industries, but hopefully for the entire SFF community. Up until now it has been a very enthusiastic world with awesome design and engineering from the same enthusiasts. Unimagineable potential. I am very excited to witness this.

PS: I am no human before I've enjoyed my morning triple-shot espresso :oops:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It currently costs a bit under a $1 a day and I don't drink coffee so it's easily sustainable for now :p

It's worth noting that, of the three of us that have been working on this, Aiboh has probably invested the most with respect to time and cost. And confusis is basically the person that kicked this whole thing off, by approaching us and by bringing in a lot of stuff (URLs, content, and so forth) that made the sites possible. I have tremendous respect for what they've invested, and will continue to invest, in something that's ostensibly not for themselves, and takes even more time away from their (already) busy lives.

Very nice to see this milestone reached for Kimera Industries, but hopefully for the entire SFF community. Up until now it has been a very enthusiastic world with awesome design and engineering from the same enthusiasts. Unimagineable potential. I am very excited to witness this.:oops:

SFF Network and SFF Forum are distinct and separate from KI, and that's really as it should be - we're hoping to create a home and resource that fosters the sort of community that we think SFF enthusiasts can become. That mission really transcends any individuals, companies, etc.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Congratulations on the official launch guys. SFF was very much a niche when I started LOSIAS so many years ago. In many ways, it still is. That said, the market segment is definitely growing. You've got an opportunity here to capitalize on that and take it farther than I ever had time for myself. I look around and see quite a few familiar names. Those whom I've spoken with in the past, and those for which I've not had the pleasure. That's the thing though, at the core is a group of guys who've been part of this for years. Their passion for SFF has carried them through and they now have another place of their own to call home. LOSIAS and SFFr were my passion for a long time. Although my busy life and other side projects no longer allow me to pursue those endeavors the way I had always hoped, I'm glad some of that DNA can be carried on here. It's more than community, it's about family. I wish you the best of luck!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Congratulations on the official launch guys. SFF was very much a niche when I started LOSIAS so many years ago. In many ways, it still is. That said, the market segment is definitely growing. You've got an opportunity here to capitalize on that and take it farther than I ever had time for myself. I look around and see quite a few familiar names. Those whom I've spoken with in the past, and those for which I've not had the pleasure. That's the thing though, at the core is a group of guys who've been part of this for years. Their passion for SFF has carried them through and they now have another place of their own to call home. LOSIAS and SFFr were my passion for a long time. Although my busy life and other side projects no longer allow me to pursue those endeavors the way I had always hoped, I'm glad some of that DNA can be carried on here. It's more than community, it's about family. I wish you the best of luck!

I'll just allow myself to tell you, in the name of all the "new guys", that we're more than happy to carry your legacy! We'll do our very best to bring SFF to the next level.

Reactions: craigbru

craigbru

LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I'll just allow myself to tell you, in the name of all the "new guys", that we're more than happy to carry your legacy! We'll do our very best to bring SFF to the next level.

Thanks! I appreciate it! As young as this forum and network may be, I really love what I'm seeing so far. That's why i'm trusting you with the legacy. Years ago I tried to buy Sudhian. It was the de facto forum for SFF and Shuttle computers for almost 10 years. It turns out that Jasper (the founder) wasn't interested in money, he just wanted to archive the forums and keep them as a static reference. Now there's just a landing page and everything that was once there is gone. I wanted something more for what I started. I believe it's in good hands.

craigbru

LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
he just wanted to archive the forums and keep them as a static reference. Now there's just a landing page and everything that was once there is gone. I wanted something more for what I started. I believe it's in good hands.

I hope there's a backup somewhere. The Internet Archive has chunks of the site and forum but not everything so it'd be cool to have a read-only archive of it available one day.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com