confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Physics is a fair but harsh mistress. For while the heatspreader on your CPU - and the base of your CPU cooler - may look smooth, flat and able to make perfect contact, this is far from the case. Microscopic surface imperfections present on all metallic surfaces work against the movement of energy, by preventing proper contact and thus reducing the efficiency of heat transfer. And while this can be improved with better machining (and in extreme cases, careful lapping of the surfaces), us mere mortals must suffice with the use of thermal paste to bond surfaces together.

Read more here.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I just apply a drop or a line, the heatsink does the rest, even though I used to belong to the people that went overboard on applying it perfectly.

Also, don't buy more than 3g syringes unless you need to reapply 50 times in a year. I bought some premium stuff at 15g and it just dried out after 4 years in.

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
I remember using a Zalman thermalpaste which were in something similar to nail-polish. With a small brush that you applied it with. Was not that good though. Now I have been using regular thermal paste and apply it with the "rice-method".

EDIT:

Found a picture

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Thanks for testing this. It would be interesting to know how these regular pastes compete against premium stuff like arctic silver. I guess it won't make much of a difference in the end.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Sony A6000 with a macro lens?

I ripped an 860k out of its socket last year while removing a cooler. It was my first experience with AMD CPU/MBs but fortunately I learned to be more careful with them after that.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Sony A6000 with a macro lens?

I ripped an 860k out of its socket last year while removing a cooler. It was my first experience with AMD CPU/MBs but fortunately I learned to be more careful with them after that.

Nope, not even close on the camera guess ;)

I've done the CPU ripped out of socket many times, from Socket 478, 462, 940 up through nearly every socket!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah a camera upgrade would be good! Samsung's are really cheap now that they're bugging out of the market. You could get an NX500 and a prime lens for around $500!

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
$500 is way out of budget at the moment unfortunately. Trying to make do with what I have until finances improve :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There are people that crowdfund this kind of thing. Considering it's to improve review quality, it could encompass noise measurement equipment, temperature sensors and what-not as stretch goals !

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
We already ask enough from our subscription model, I feel that it would be rude to ask for any more :)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I would tend to agree with the basic sentiment, but on the basis that you are pretty much a non-profit organisation at this point, it's an idea worth considering. Maybe we have a few wealthy members on the forum that would really like to support you more than they currently do?

On the other hand, do we really need better pictures? I feel like the pictures we've seen on articles are absolutely sufficient in getting the point across, and quality of pictures isn't as important to the quality of an article as the quality of the writing and of the testing.

Reactions: confusis

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I feel that the written content should be what is carrying the content - it's easy to google image search for things if required. My priority for now in content is ensuring that it is thorough and well written, with solid testing to back it up.

On the other hand, working towards a better camera can lead to video reviews and the like :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
On the other hand, working towards a better camera can lead to video reviews and the like :p
Argh where is the "Back This Project" button ? *click* *click* *click* *click* ...

I'm supporting the reasoning that words need to do the work for reviews though.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think the images are good enough quality for now. If we do some video reviews it's worth it to upgrade. Phones are also catching or have caught compact cameras in image quality so buying a slightly better camera may not be a good investment, although it might be awhile before they catch an NX500 or A6300....

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Reeven RT-Pro added to the line-up.

In future, new thermal paste products will likely be added to this article. Without in-depth technical and chemistry knowledge, it is very difficult to write a full length article on such products.

Reactions: Phuncz

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think some other sites did reviews on Thermal Paste and found a almost no difference between many different brands. If something new on the market it would be worth investigating though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The issue with testing thermal paste is that some have a "cure time" (hours to days) and that it's often tested with one platform/TDP. To be accurate, one should include two TDP platforms, for a more mainstream 50-60W and a more power-hungry 90-120W. Along with a curing period of about 3 days with 50% load. But I'm not confident curing will yield much different results for most paste.

Also, a Noctua cooler should be used as these have in my experience the best distribution of pressure and you can wind these down completely without torque or warp/bend being a problem. Didn't you have an NH-L12 ? Those have the SecuFirm 3 mounting or what's it called.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thanks for the article, @confusis!

I've pretty much been only using NT-H1 because it never sets--which is nice because I have to replace coolers for corp customers yearly as part of service plans. I wonder if there is a "significant" difference between it and the other TIMs you tested after a long operating period?

I wish you had unlimited funds so you could test this :D

As a side note does anyone here have good sources to delidding performance? I've seen lazily done delids that are (sadly) useless for figuring out if they are worthwhile. I'm trying to get better at overclocking and on my testbench I think I have run into a bottleneck of my heatspreader/die as even the top of my waterblock runs at ambient.

Peace, and thanks again for doing this type of stuff!!!