SFF.Network [SFF Network] Plextor M8Pe PCIe NVME SSDs priced and specced

We referenced the upcoming Plextor M8Pe series of PCIe NVME SSDs in the Computex SSD Roundup and now Tom's Hardware spotted the drives on Newegg, revealing the price and specifications for the new drives.

Check out the Tom's Hardware post for all the details but basically look forward to M.2 and PCIe add-in card drives in capacities from 128GB to 1TB and sequential read/write speeds ranging from 1600MBps/500MBps for the 128GB up to 2500MBps/1400MBps for the 1TB.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
10$ for a heatsink/strip-of-aluminium is a no-brainer for SFF builds, but I'm very happy to see they offer bare drives for notebooks and fringe PC builds that don't have room for it. Well priced too and Plextor is a top brand in my regard.

Reactions: Soul_Est

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I would be cool if companies started making cheap M.2 drive heatsinks. Like the generic aftermarket RAM heat spreaders.

Well the cheapest would be a slab of 1 or 2 mm of nicely anodized aluminum with a 0.5mm or thinner thermal pad. The BOM would be under a $ but right now it can be considered a USP so extra $$$ is easily gained until every single M.2 SSD gets one.

Reactions: Tek Everything

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
A bit cheeky that the heatsink is $10 extra for the 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB drives, but a $50 premium for the 1TB drive.
Yeah, I saw that. Kinda shitty.

I would be cool if companies started making cheap M.2 drive heatsinks. Like the generic aftermarket RAM heat spreaders.
That would be nice, though at the moment at least there's a variety of sizes and shapes that come close enough if not for the SSD as a whole at least for each individual chip.

What we really need is for companies to stop putting their stickers on the top.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Stickers on top I can deal with. Nobody wants to have to remove Every Single Drive when doing a drive audit because the barcode is on the underside. That's enough of a pain when companies do that with their 2.5" SSDs.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Well the problem is that the companies also like to void your warranty if you remove the sticker since that's where all the inventory control information is printed.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well the cheapest would be a slab of 1 or 2 mm of nicely anodized aluminum with a 0.5mm or thinner thermal pad. The BOM would be under a $ but right now it can be considered a USP so extra $$$ is easily gained until every single M.2 SSD gets one.
Too bad the market will "demand" images of dragons, red pointy ends and RGB LED lighting at a bare minimum (according to Marketing).

Reactions: Tek Everything

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's for the box art, of which 80% of the front side is for stickers of features they forgot to obscenely emphasise.

Reactions: jeshikat

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well the problem is that the companies also like to void your warranty if you remove the sticker since that's where all the inventory control information is printed.

Depending on where you live, that is actually not legal, just like EULAs are null and void some places when they're not available easily without buying the box.

In Germany at least, removing a sticker from a product is not considered a potentially harmful modification, so you don't lose your warranty if you do it. In some cases, even broken seals will not void your warranty, for example with prebuilt PCs. Depending on how scummy the manufacturer is, you could make a video directly after removing the sticker to prove that didn't damage it.

Reactions: jØrd