SFF.Network [SFF Network] Intel's 5x5 is Making a Comeback

A while back, Intel previewed it's 5x5 form factor, designed to be smaller than M-ITX. New boards and cases have been released for the form factor, with a new name - Mini-STX.

At CES, ASRock discussed its upcoming H110M-STX Mini PC that will use the form factor.

Read more here.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I'm all for the rename from 5x5 to mSTX

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Asus should do an RoG version, prrrftt XD
"now with 20 daughter boards, including daughterboard hub !"

This has serious potential and apparently some traction with manufacturers already. I like that it has the front panel ports on the board, 2 less cables and headers to worry about, but also less future-proof. On the other hand, it's not like the jump from USB 2.0 to 3.0 was simple with a new header and new ports...
Pretty soon we'll be needing GPUs to be sold in MXM format or the GPU will be the next biggest component.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Stick an MXM slot on the back and add a GTX 980 MXM board, sandwich the thing in heatsinks, and sit an SFX PSU alongside it. Tiny!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Are there any specifications on mSTX already? It seems like an awesome form-factor to me wich could potentially replace thin mITX in some instances and NUC in others. From what I've seen, there's no I/O aperture for replaceable covers, which allows placing vent holes or mounting points for other hardware in that area.
The front I/O of the ASRock is proprietary from the looks of it, but I'd like to know what Intel has planned to do here.
Are there fixed positions for SATA connectors which allow better planning of cabling? Are there additional keep-out zones or component height limits that would allow or disallow certain additional the use of certain components or cooling solutions? Is the socket position fixed by the specs? How much freedom is granted in the layout of the back I/O? Is there an internal power connector for the boards? Are they allowed to only run off 19V or are they supposed to have a wide input range of 12-19V like Gigabytes thin mITX boards or 12V-25V like some NUCs?

I really like this formfactor and its potential uses, but I feel the actual use we can get out of it highly depends on the final specs of it.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A good point, if more ports have designated locations, this could allow maximum usage of the case volume. I can already see the benefit of the front I/O, having a standard location for removable storage (SATA) and possibly a GPU with MXM layout, this could become a nice <5L platform.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That board on Page 11, isn't that Socket 2011 ? XD

It seems the SO-DIMM sockets are atleast not fixed, that same board has them mounted horizontally, while the AsRock board has them vertically. Also, the I/O is a little different (2x USB Type-A) and the various headers are on a different location.

It may also be a pre-production board from before the specs were made final, or maybe manufacturers will adhere to some standards without them being in the specs.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
While standards are the obvious important first step, and it's neat to see stuff like this being made, the real trick is getting REAL PARTS in the consumer space.
Tiny ass prebuilt machines that still have a fair bit of power is nothing new, but for the most part, even when the parts are actually standardized rather than proprietary, most of those parts can only be (easily and affordably) acquired by OEMs.
See such things as All-in-one PCs where many systems use the thin mini-ITX form factor, but there are few motherboards and chassis obtainable on the mass market. Basically, that just makes it easier for the manufacturers to make sure everything slots together.
I do hope this doesn't fall into the same hole; I want to be able to easily buy a case, motherboard, cup, etc. and build my own rather than this just existing so I can (theoretically) replace the motherboard in my Zotac.

On a side note, as someone who thinks power bricks are dumb, I hope there's also an internal header in the specs not just an external DC input.
I also hope they might add an MXM slot to the standard, though, admittedly, MXM GPUs suffer from the exact problem I mentioned earlier, they are expensive and hard to find for normal consumers.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I hope there's also an internal header in the specs not just an external DC input.
This could be a solution:

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Internal-160W-AC-DC-Adapter-with-Active-PFC-and-19VDC-Output.html
You could split one pair of 19V DC wires to a seperate PSU for a GPU or storage even.

Or just a laptop PSU you could hide anywhere in the case.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
There is some info in this
http://files.linuxgizmos.com/intel-idf15-rpcs006-101f.pdf
it appears at least the CPU socket location is fixed

Thanks! That document makes me almost certain that thin mITX will be replaced with mSTX. Unfortunately not too many details, but knowing that the CPU location is fixed is very helpful.

Interestingly enough, it looks like CPU coolers for regular LGA115x sockets will not fit on mSTX board due to different mounting hole locations and keepout zones. But, as is said in the presentation, the case and cooler should be complementary parts, so there's probably not much reason to install a regular heatsink on mSTX boards anyway.

That board on Page 11, isn't that Socket 2011 ? XD

It seems the SO-DIMM sockets are atleast not fixed, that same board has them mounted horizontally, while the AsRock board has them vertically. Also, the I/O is a little different (2x USB Type-A) and the various headers are on a different location.

It may also be a pre-production board from before the specs were made final, or maybe manufacturers will adhere to some standards without them being in the specs.

Looks an awful lot like 1151 to me. It doesn't make much sense to draw conclusions from the ASRock board anyway, as it seems to be rather proprietary in more than one ways. Right now we can only speculate, but I would like to see board manufacturers have a bit more freedom this time around, it feels like thin mITX boards were so standardised in every regard, there wasn't much a manufacturer could do to differentiate.

While standards are the obvious important first step, and it's neat to see stuff like this being made, the real trick is getting REAL PARTS in the consumer space.
Tiny ass prebuilt machines that still have a fair bit of power is nothing new, but for the most part, even when the parts are actually standardized rather than proprietary, most of those parts can only be (easily and affordably) acquired by OEMs.
See such things as All-in-one PCs where many systems use the thin mini-ITX form factor, but there are few motherboards and chassis obtainable on the mass market. Basically, that just makes it easier for the manufacturers to make sure everything slots together.
I do hope this doesn't fall into the same hole; I want to be able to easily buy a case, motherboard, cup, etc. and build my own rather than this just existing so I can (theoretically) replace the motherboard in my Zotac.

On a side note, as someone who thinks power bricks are dumb, I hope there's also an internal header in the specs not just an external DC input.
I also hope they might add an MXM slot to the standard, though, admittedly, MXM GPUs suffer from the exact problem I mentioned earlier, they are expensive and hard to find for normal consumers.

If Silverstone shows an enclosure for this formfactor, I highly doubt it will be limited to OEMs.

I'm totally with you hoping for an internal connector for power input, but all three boards we've seen so far didn't have one, which is a bummer and seems to indicate that there won't be such a connector on the board.

This could be a solution:

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Internal-160W-AC-DC-Adapter-with-Active-PFC-and-19VDC-Output.html
You could split one pair of 19V DC wires to a seperate PSU for a GPU or storage even.

Or just a laptop PSU you could hide anywhere in the case.

That doesn't solve the problem of the boards missing a connector to plug this PSU into, though. Of course, you could just solder a DC jack to the cable, run that outside and plug it into the back of the board, but that is a rather dodgy solution.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
That's WHY a header is needed, so I can connect the output of something like that to the board internally.

Thanks! That document makes me almost certain that thin mITX will be replaced with mSTX. Unfortunately not too many details, but knowing that the CPU location is fixed is very helpful.
Not necessarily. While smaller machines get mention in Intel's stuff about thin ITX, the form factor's main purpose is AIOs and digital signage (ie. putting the pc into the display chassis) which is why there are a number of connectors for LCD panel power and control. I don't see mSTX replacing that without similar requirements, and mSTX seems aimed more at standardizing the mini-PC market.

If Silverstone shows an enclosure for this formfactor, I highly doubt it will be limited to OEMs.
I wasn't saying that I expect the entire formfactor/platform to be OEM exclusive; I was voicing concerns that it might have an overly limited market. Like with the example of thin mITX I gave, it's by no means OEM exclusive, but much of the (good) hardware available in that formfactor IS OEM only. Of course, I'm actually more concerned it's going to turn out like MXM: barebones mini-PCs will start using the standardized motherboard which you can theoretically replace, like with laptop GPUs, but the parts will be hard to find and have a significant cost premium.

Still, that someone besides a system integrator has hardware is a good sign, and may help adoption. SFF is a niche market, and the problem with nice markets is manufacturers are often hesitant to develop products for such a market due to lack of customers, but customers won't enter the market as readily without having those options available to them; it's something of a circular dependency. Having parts available at the outset rather than just prebuilt system might, hopefully, spur consumer adoption.

I'm totally with you hoping for an internal connector for power input, but all three boards we've seen so far didn't have one, which is a bummer and seems to indicate that there won't be such a connector on the board.
That is a bad sign, though it doesn't rule out the possibility there IS a prescribed location.

Seriously, though, I don't get why you'd want a separate power brick. For laptops, which can run on batteries, it makes sense since it improves portability when running on batteries, but if you are chained to the wall anyways, why have extra bits hanging off? (Though I will concede, that's also a point in favor of just going with an AIO for a small system since you also require a monitor). Also those of you using power bricks, you're cheating if you don't include it in your volume measurement.

Maybe one of these days, someone will manufacture a power strip that outputs DC voltages, so it can replace multiple wall warts and power bricks.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Not necessarily. While smaller machines get mention in Intel's stuff about thin ITX, the form factor's main purpose is AIOs and digital signage (ie. putting the pc into the display chassis) which is why there are a number of connectors for LCD panel power and control. I don't see mSTX replacing that without similar requirements, and mSTX seems aimed more at standardizing the mini-PC market.

I was more talking about the consumer side of things. As you said, there is a disconnect between the OEM and consumer market, which especially shows with thin mITX. It seems to me like mSTX is meant to be used in machines that thin mITX was currently used in, which aren't AIOs, where display control, LVDS, backlight power and other various things thin mITX required to be present are of no value whatsoever.
But yes, I should've worded that differently, and thin mITX will probably stay around, especially in the OEM market.

I wasn't saying that I expect the entire formfactor/platform to be OEM exclusive; I was voicing concerns that it might have an overly limited market. Like with the example of thin mITX I gave, it's by no means OEM exclusive, but much of the (good) hardware available in that formfactor IS OEM only. Of course, I'm actually more concerned it's going to turn out like MXM: barebones mini-PCs will start using the standardized motherboard which you can theoretically replace, like with laptop GPUs, but the parts will be hard to find and have a significant cost premium.

Still, that someone besides a system integrator has hardware is a good sign, and may help adoption. SFF is a niche market, and the problem with nice markets is manufacturers are often hesitant to develop products for such a market due to lack of customers, but customers won't enter the market as readily without having those options available to them; it's something of a circular dependency. Having parts available at the outset rather than just prebuilt system might, hopefully, spur consumer adoption.

You are absolutely right, that is a possibility and it would be a shame if mSTX found similarly bad adoption in the consumer market as thin mITX did. But, as I said above, mSTX throws out a lot of unnecessary complications that manufacturers had to go through with thin mITX boards, so maybe they will be less hesitant to design a board around that formfactor and at least test the waters a bit.

If I trust any manufacturer to bring mSTX to fruition by sheer stubornness persistence, it is Silverstone. They were pioneers for SFX PSUs and consistently put out cases that took full advantage of that form factor. I'm pretty sure we'll see others, especially Akasa and HDPlex, jumping on that form factor. Even Intel themselves noted how good mSTX suits itself for passive cooling, and if the early adoption rate of it is at least half decent, it could become quite popular.

That is a bad sign, though it doesn't rule out the possibility there IS a prescribed location.

Seriously, though, I don't get why you'd want a separate power brick. For laptops, which can run on batteries, it makes sense since it improves portability when running on batteries, but if you are chained to the wall anyways, why have extra bits hanging off? (Though I will concede, that's also a point in favor of just going with an AIO for a small system since you also require a monitor). Also those of you using power bricks, you're cheating if you don't include it in your volume measurement.

Maybe one of these days, someone will manufacture a power strip that outputs DC voltages, so it can replace multiple wall warts and power bricks.

Will you be my partner for a circlejerk around this topic? I am completely with you on every point you mentioned.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Seriously, though, I don't get why you'd want a separate power brick.

I think they offer advantages as well as disadvantages. We both are aware of the disadvantages so I won't go into those.

I like being able to change power supplies super quickly without redoing all my wiring from a practical standpoint as well as an enthusiast that likes to experiment. I like that breaking up the volume allow the chassis to be transported easier in some cases. I like that DC-DC designs are generally much cleaner and easier to get creative with because removing a big box with an octopus attached to it helps me at least focus on other aspects. Finally, as someone who owns multiple power bricks I do think it helps make my systems more mobile. I just move a chassis that is light and small to the location I want and I already have a brick there. I have one for my backpack, one for my TV, and one for my workstation space.

I loved my Silverstone SG05, but even without a brick it could not do this:

Also those of you using power bricks, you're cheating if you don't include it in your volume measurement.

I agree if you make any claims about being "the worlds smallest" or something along those lines. I don't judge anyone for making claims like that because its hard to get your product out there in this red ocean but they are impossible to define anyways. I will say though I am not afraid of that challenge because after reducing the volume of wires and fan space, and by choosing a brick that fits in nicely to my packing scheme, I can still come under if I was going for that title. Personally I think we should just have respect for each other and stop using language which makes this kind of thing be a competition.

This is a genius idea. I would pay $500 for this product without even blinking...as it would save me money. It also has some disadvantages, like all products, but overall this is something that would be absolutely killer!

One of the reasons I love this community is that we have all sorts of creative people who have different ideas about how to do small and everyone is quite friendly and supportive. I'm not pushing my point of view on anyone, but rather defending it for the sake of creativity. I would love to be able to do everything internally...I have done AC/DC mods by chopping up power supplies before, but for the sake of the end user I think that power bricks can have their place. :)

Veritas (2010) - A fully integrated, hand-built, SFF design (<9.5L) with premium liquid cooling, internal PSU, and gaming graphics.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think there is a place in the world for both trains of thought on the subject. Personally I feel that critical components shouldn't be offloaded to an external add-on. On the other hand, an SFX PSU is a large block that needs to go somewhere in the case and with stuff like a PicoPSU + brick being smaller, this changes things.

The problem is that SFX is still too big.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I was more talking about the consumer side of things. As you said, there is a disconnect between the OEM and consumer market, which especially shows with thin mITX. It seems to me like mSTX is meant to be used in machines that thin mITX was currently used in, which aren't AIOs, where display control, LVDS, backlight power and other various things thin mITX required to be present are of no value whatsoever.
But yes, I should've worded that differently, and thin mITX will probably stay around, especially in the OEM market.

You are absolutely right, that is a possibility and it would be a shame if mSTX found similarly bad adoption in the consumer market as thin mITX did. But, as I said above, mSTX throws out a lot of unnecessary complications that manufacturers had to go through with thin mITX boards, so maybe they will be less hesitant to design a board around that formfactor and at least test the waters a bit.

If I trust any manufacturer to bring mSTX to fruition by sheer stubornness persistence, it is Silverstone. They were pioneers for SFX PSUs and consistently put out cases that took full advantage of that form factor. I'm pretty sure we'll see others, especially Akasa and HDPlex, jumping on that form factor. Even Intel themselves noted how good mSTX suits itself for passive cooling, and if the early adoption rate of it is at least half decent, it could become quite popular.
Part of it may also be the preexisting market segment. AIOs have more or less been a market where you buy a prebuilt, plug it in, and expect it to work, and upgradability isn't a focus; the mini-PC, while having a lot of those, also has a fair number of barebones systems where you still have to add stuff like storage and memory, so that might help both consumers and manufacturers be a bit more adventurous, though I still suspect a big portion of the market segment will be barebones, just add CPU/memory.

I do think they missed out a bit by not having at least a prescribed MXM slot location and for someone to have showed off one of those small systems with a discrete GPU.

Will you be my partner for a circlejerk around this topic? I am completely with you on every point you mentioned.
HEH

I think they offer advantages as well as disadvantages. We both are aware of the disadvantages so I won't go into those.

I like being able to change power supplies super quickly without redoing all my wiring from a practical standpoint as well as an enthusiast that likes to experiment. I like that breaking up the volume allow the chassis to be transported easier in some cases. I like that DC-DC designs are generally much cleaner and easier to get creative with because removing a big box with an octopus attached to it helps me at least focus on other aspects. Finally, as someone who owns multiple power bricks I do think it helps make my systems more mobile. I just move a chassis that is light and small to the location I want and I already have a brick there. I have one for my backpack, one for my TV, and one for my workstation space.
Fair enough, though I can't say having multiple power bricks is normal, and I'm not sure the majority of people build or buy small PCs for portability aside from LAN rigs.

I agree if you make any claims about being "the worlds smallest" or something along those lines. I don't judge anyone for making claims like that because its hard to get your product out there in this red ocean but they are impossible to define anyways. I will say though I am not afraid of that challenge because after reducing the volume of wires and fan space, and by choosing a brick that fits in nicely to my packing scheme, I can still come under if I was going for that title. Personally I think we should just have respect for each other and stop using language which makes this kind of thing be a competition.
I think it is something of a competition. As far as the actual market goes, case makers like to advertise the diminutive size of their product to stand out to buyers. In the DIY space, while I don't see people using the smallness of their PC for bragging rights as much, or to win something, I do see a lot of people wanting to be smaller than the next guy because of the challenge of achieving it.

This is a genius idea. I would pay $500 for this product without even blinking...as it would save me money. It also has some disadvantages, like all products, but overall this is something that would be absolutely killer!
Ah only if I had a degree in electrical engineering, I'd totally do a kickstarter for that kind of thing, though I think one of the things that interferes with the idea is that there's a lot of stuff that takes different voltages, and plenty of things that will straight up burn out if you plug the wrong brick into them.

I do have to say, if I ever build (or seriously renovate) a house, the wall sockets are going to sport USB ports.

One of the reasons I love this community is that we have all sorts of creative people who have different ideas about how to do small and everyone is quite friendly and supportive. I'm not pushing my point of view on anyone, but rather defending it for the sake of creativity. I would love to be able to do everything internally...I have done AC/DC mods by chopping up power supplies before, but for the sake of the end user I think that power bricks can have their place. :)
Indeed. plenty of creativity here.
Also there is definitely a case for separating the AC-DC and DC-DC components apart, and cable management is much eased by eliminating most of the wires. I do think a large portion of the presence of bricks is a lack of options, though. I haven't seen too many AC-DC options internally, there's a couple from HDPLEX and one or two from various other places, but it's really hard to find something besides a brick to power a PicoPSU that you don't have to wire up yourself.

The problem is that SFX is still too big.
At least Flex ATX seems to be (slightly) on the rise.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
FlexATX for the win! Up to 500W in 0.5L (which is smaller than the 300W bricks, IIRC). Of course there's a noise-problem with those small 40mm fans.

We all know there's no "best" solution. In my eyes, the biggest advantage of power bricks is the passive cooling, but everything Josh said is absolutely valid.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
SFX-L 125x130x63.5 = 1.032L
Flex-ATX 150x81.5x40.5 = 0.495L
120mm x 25mm fan = 0.36L
Flex-ATX + 120mm fan = 0.855L

So the main volume difference between SFX-L and Flex-ATX is the 120mm fan (I know the SFX-L typically uses a 15mm-ish thick fan...)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Not really, though. Even without from your own argument that SFX-L uses 15mm or maybe even 10mm thick fans, there's still at least an additional 0.2L volume SFX-L has to work with, which is far from insignificant with electronics. There's a good reason why we'll see 700W SFX-L and 650W SFX PSUs in the near future with good and hopefully silent cooling but the only short 500W FlexATX PSU on the market is crammed to the brim and probably rather loud under full load.