SFF.Network [SFF Network] In-Win Chopin Review – A Concerto in Black

In-Win, known for some time for their creative (but generally unremarkable) SFF designs, has been branching out as of late. From their H and D Frame cases, to more sedate variants, the company has begun to make inroads towards the mainstream market instead of the traditional OEM and system integrator markets.

Today we are looking at the In-Win Chopin, a premium take on the BQ series. This case features an integrated 150w PSU, a mixed aluminium and steel design, and an interesting design element that we may have seen before, which we’ll discuss below.

Read the full review here.

musikmann

Efficiency Noob
Nov 5, 2017
Thanks, I was really surprised how quiet it is (even with default settings), and by tweaking the fan control a bit, I cannot hear the system at all :)

lesmurf143

Efficiency Noob
Feb 4, 2018
hi! has anyone tried to fit a Cryorig C7 in this case? I know the cooler clearance is 43mm but i noticed the metal mesh protrudes abit (maybe just enough for a C7's height)

jaxter

Chassis Packer
Mar 20, 2018
I found this thread very interesting and wanted to show you my In Win Chopin setup:

I am using an MSI B250I Pro Motherboard with an Intel Pentium G4600 CPU.

MR Tidy over here, thats a really nice clean set up, im sitting here envious as someone who loves sff but is so hamfisted (after seeing me use my hands most people refer to me as sausage fingers lol) most of the tiny builds i see on here are cleaner then my full size atx case.
Ive got a chopin on the way and have kept the build real simple 1 m,2 rive 2 sticks of ram and an 2400g so maybe this is the build i'll finally get looking pristine, one can dream.

Reactions: Nanook and confusis

delivereath

What's an ITX?
Apr 29, 2018
Just bought two Chopin and I'm really suprised by how loud the PSU fan is. I've been reading everywhere that it's almost inaudible.

My setup is idling at 17W, so only 11% of the PSU max load. Yet it seems that fan is running at its maximum. I've got the same behavior on both PSUs. Has anyone here had a look at the PSU fan type ? Mines are Sunon MagLev.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's odd, I can't say I've ever heard my PSU's fan over the CPU fan. I can't say what fan it is, it's buried in there and I never opened it up either.

Sildrax

Efficiency Noob
Jun 7, 2018
Hello,
I have also just bought a Chopin and I have to say I am very disappointed with the noise level that is coming from the psu fan. A lot of people have said that it's basically silent but it is no where near silent. Does anyone know of a reason or solution to this?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hello,
I have also just bought a Chopin and I have to say I am very disappointed with the noise level that is coming from the psu fan. A lot of people have said that it's basically silent but it is no where near silent. Does anyone know of a reason or solution to this?

What's your ambient temperature, and what's your config + CPU cooler?

Sildrax

Efficiency Noob
Jun 7, 2018
What's your ambient temperature, and what's your config + CPU cooler?

Around 20C ambient temperature. AMD 2400g, Gigabyte ab350n, SSd, hdd, dual channel 3000mhz memory, and Noctua NH-L9a cpu cooler. I realise that this could be drawing a bit of power. Do you think if I was to reduce the power consumption by removing the hdd/ underclocking it would help? I've also been looking at the HDplex 160w. Could it be possible to replace the current Psu with that? I think I could get the internal AC adaptor in the case with some cutting.

Forgive me if any of this seems obvious as I am new to this.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Your ambient temp seems to be OK. Does it go *EDIT* loud when you load it, or it's loud even when idle (light browsing, office works etc)?

I've been comparing that InWin PSU - HDPLEX dimension a few times; and from that calculation, it seems that the HDPLEX fits.

Around 20C ambient temperature. AMD 2400g, Gigabyte ab350n, SSd, hdd, dual channel 3000mhz memory, and Noctua NH-L9a cpu cooler. I realise that this could be drawing a bit of power. Do you think if I was to reduce the power consumption by removing the hdd/ underclocking it would help? I've also been looking at the HDplex 160w. Could it be possible to replace the current Psu with that? I think I could get the internal AC adaptor in the case with some cutting.

Forgive me if any of this seems obvious as I am new to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Sildrax

Efficiency Noob
Jun 7, 2018
Your ambient temp seems to be OK. Does it go low when you load it, or it's loud even when idle (light browsing, office works etc)?

I've been comparing that InWin PSU - HDPLEX dimension a few times; and from that calculation, it seems that the HDPLEX fits.

I'ts hard to describe but it's not loud per se. Don't get me wrong it is silent, but based on reviews and what other people have said I was expecting it to be quieter. It's just noticeably annoying.

When I first turn it on it is very silent (almost inaudible like others have said), but after about 10 minutes the noise gradually increases even just from idling with nothing open.

The HDplex 160w seems like a very appealing option at this point. I think I will give it some time and play around with power consumption first. Do you think a psu fan replacement for a much quieter one could also be possible/safe?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The HDplex 160w seems like a very appealing option at this point. I think I will give it some time and play around with power consumption first. Do you think a psu fan replacement for a much quieter one could also be possible/safe?

If that quiet fan -at lower RPM (& lower noise)- can provide the same max air flow / air pressure like the original fan, then I guess it's possible.

The question is, does such fan exist?

Last edited:

Sildrax

Efficiency Noob
Jun 7, 2018
Just in case anyone is curious I can confirm that the HdPlex 160w ac-dc does not fit without modification to the case. The grove in the side of the included power supply is needed to fit as expected. The 160w dc-dc also does not fit the ab350n-gaming wifi, but I knew this going in. I also think even if I had a motherboard that the Hdplex fit, I don't think the case has enough height for it anyway. I believe I could get both to fit by cutting out some of the inside of the case and using an atx extension, but I'm not brave enough try. My next option will be to try get my hands on a PicoPsu 160xt.

Edit / Update:
I have since bought the PicoPsu 150xt and is working well and much quieter. I chose the 150xt as the 160xt is slightly taller and was worried about height clearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and ignsvn

mjst3rcar0

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
Hi guys, i'm newbie with SFF. But i have a question with this kind of case, is it possible to connect GPU via PCIe 3.0*16 with a riser and external PSU?
i also saw a guy showed an idea about put the riser on the top of the case and then connect GPU via it. How do you guys think about it?

itxnoob14

Case Bender
Aug 23, 2018
Hi folks, I'm new here in this forum. I've this inwin chopin with Asrock Fatality B350 ITX and Ryzen 5 2400g + ram 8gb. the problem is the PSU suddenly not working. how can i test the problem is coming from psu and not the other part? can i change with pico psu 160watt with powerbrick 12v 5a? sorry for amateur question since i'm also new in ITX build.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
can i change with pico psu 160watt with powerbrick 12v 5a?

You're using an 160w DC-ATX PSU with a 60w AC-DC converter (the weakest part of your power source). IF your setup uses more than 60w [wich outervision calc tells me it uses], you will certainly have problems powering your rig up.

itxnoob14

Case Bender
Aug 23, 2018
You're using an 160w DC-ATX PSU with a 60w AC-DC converter (the weakest part of your power source). IF your setup uses more than 60w [wich outervision calc tells me it uses], you will certainly have problems powering your rig up.
so what is the suitable watt for my rig ? 250watt ? the current psu that including in the chopin is 150 watt and then suddenly the psu stop working after a few day normal use.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
so what is the suitable watt for my rig ? 250watt ? the current psu that including in the chopin is 150 watt and then suddenly the psu stop working after a few day normal use.
That’s weird...i guess it’s either a faulty psu or overheating issue.
R5 2400g is just a 65w cpu, 150w psu should be enough