Enclosure [SFF Network] Geeek A30 Case Review - Flat Pack Awesomeness?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Some time ago, we looked at Geeek's A10 chassis, an acrylic M-ITX chassis from a relatively unknown company. Today, we are looking at the next generation of SFF chassis from the company, the A30. Applying a different design ideology from the A10, the A30 is more of a kitset chassis, pulling inspiration from the Ikea way of doing things - flat pack to save on production and shipping costs. It's an excellent solution, enabling Geeek to sell the chassis (without accessories such as a flexible PCIe riser) for US$49.99 on their own webstore.

Does this methodology work? Is building SFF flat-pack as much fun as flat-pack furniture? (Unlike a lot of people, I actually enjoy constructing flat-pack stuff!) Let's find out.

Read more here.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
This is a slick case love the design and the price is very competitive. Wish there were more options for flex size PSU from reputable brands with support, seems they offer a modified Delta 400W and there's the 300W Seasonic but it would be nice to get something modular, black, and sleeved.

Canities

Chassis Packer
Apr 18, 2017
Some time ago, we looked at Geeek's A10 chassis, an acrylic M-ITX chassis from a relatively unknown company. Today, we are looking at the next generation of SFF chassis from the company, the A30. Applying a different design ideology from the A10, the A30 is more of a kitset chassis, pulling inspiration from the Ikea way of doing things - flat pack to save on production and shipping costs. It's an excellent solution, enabling Geeek to sell the chassis (without accessories such as a flexible PCIe riser) for US$49.99 on their own webstore.

Does this methodology work? Is building SFF flat-pack as much fun as flat-pack furniture? (Unlike a lot of people, I actually enjoy constructing flat-pack stuff!) Let's find out.

Read more here.

Hey @confusis,
I also pre-ordered the A30 case and was surprised by the quality. A couple of thing's i have noticed in your photos compared to my build.
  • You have the top panel on the wrong way around, the lip on the white accent panel should be facing forward to fill the gap at the front (which also means the fans are more above the motherboard).
  • Also try flipping the card retention bracket over so the wider edge ponts away from the I/O backplate. Doing this will allow the two nubs to hold the card better.
I will admit the top and front panels were a pain to get the screws in place, but i managed to do it without damaging the accent panel and the instructions were also not the best in the world. I also had the same issue with the riser cable.

Personally i went with the full back case with riser cable and 400w modular psu with custom cables. I'll try and get some photos uploaded tonight/tomorrow as a comparison.

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Compared to the pricepoints that we are used to seeing in SFF, this one has an extremely attractive pricepoint -one so low that I would almost be willing to forgive the cons for the sake of having such a unique and affordable option. I'm so used to looking at the Parvum and Lazer3D options that I forgot how affordable acrylic cases can be.

Geeek seems to be figuring out that formula with each iteration so I hope these cases will find success in the market. I may just start to consider them for future F&F builds.

Nicely done @confusis

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Canities I did swap the GPU retention around after the photos - the little nuts/standoffs are a nightmare to deal with :/ I'd love for Geeek to look at threaded inserts!

Ah, woops about the top panel!

Reactions: AleksandarK

wiski

Cable Smoosher
Jan 24, 2018
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that Li-Heat Riser Cable is only optional if I'm NOT planning on using my own GPU in the case, and instead running off the motherboard? (as in, If I want to run a dedicated GPU I need that cable)

Canities

Chassis Packer
Apr 18, 2017
@Canities I did swap the GPU retention around after the photos - the little nuts/standoffs are a nightmare to deal with :/ I'd love for Geeek to look at threaded inserts!
Ah, woops about the top panel!

@confusis Lol, tell me about it, my fingers still ache just thinking about it... i did have the idea of cutting a thing strip of aluminium and screwing it to the other side of the standoffs, just not got around to doing it yet.
Good write up btw, if i hadn't have already bought the case already this would have made me.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that Li-Heat Riser Cable is only optional if I'm NOT planning on using my own GPU in the case, and instead running off the motherboard? (as in, If I want to run a dedicated GPU I need that cable)

@wiski If your using on board graphics (Intel or AMD (when it finally gets released)) then there is no need for a riser cable.

From what I can work out if your not using a dedicated graphics card the 3.5" HDD fits in that location... somehow...

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks for checking this case out! I've been pretty interested in it.

The Mini-ITX test bench left a pretty nasty taste in my mouth, I couldn't get much of anything to fit securely together. I'm not a fan of the way they fasten everything together, just a screw into a nut/riser on either side of the acrylic seems flimsy and wobbly... I wish they could somehow add threading, but I'm sure acrylic threads would strip quickly.

Canities

Chassis Packer
Apr 18, 2017
Yes! I have been waiting for a review on this case. As much as acrylic is a turn off for me, I love the use of a Flex PSU.
Also, not sure if this is possible, but could this http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cool...os-xt45-full-copper-80mm-dual-radiator?c=6566 fit at the top? Maybe with a couple low profile 80 mm fans?

@Reldey, I checked last night no there is no space for a rad at the top. The supplied 25mm fans fit with minimal clearance (maybe 5-10mm) for the riser cable above the motherboard.

wiski

Cable Smoosher
Jan 24, 2018
Well, I was all set to buy this case (was eyeballing it before I saw the review), but when I'm looking at buying the case, accessories, fans, GPU cable, Flex PSU and then shipping ($40 for me) it comes out to almost as much as an NCase M1 (after shipping). Kinda hard to look at the A30 and say I should spend as much on that to get it usable as I would on the M1 that I can use with what I already have.

Last edited:
Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Kinda hard to look at the A30 and say I should spend as much on that to get it usable as I would on the M1 that I can use with what I already have.

I can relate to that sentiment a lot. The only thing that keeps me considering the A30 in that situation is that I'd have that "customized" feel to it.

Reactions: wiski

wiski

Cable Smoosher
Jan 24, 2018
I can relate to that sentiment a lot. The only thing that keeps me considering the A30 in that situation is that I'd have that "customized" feel to it.

Yeah, and this wouldn't be for my main PC either, but for my secondary PC that may see limited use in a hobby/gaming room. While the M1 is definitely the better case, I really like how the A30 looks with the right components in it, kind of like a showpiece while the M1 is more business.

I'd also feel like I would be 'wasting' the M1 on a secondary PC, even though I could in the future transition my main PC into the M1, but then that would again leave the second PC without a case I like. I currently have it in a Core 500, but after poking around at some of the other ITX case options, the Core 500 suddenly feels big, clunky and boring. :p

It doesn't help that I have money burning a hole in my pocket, as I sold my old GTX 970 that I had been using in the second PC with the idea that it would be too large for the A30. It would be a bit of a shame to have sold the 970 and then end up buying a case it would have fit into fine anyway.

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
For what it's worth--if you already have the tools to do so--it would probably be pretty cheap to further customize the A30 with panels made out of sheet steel/aluminum or some kind of wood. Give it some more character and maybe structure, if that fits into your game room aesthetic. I was considering doing something like that.

Reactions: Weredawg

wiski

Cable Smoosher
Jan 24, 2018
I think what I'll do is spend my GPU money on the NCase M1, and in a year or so when I want to upgrade my main PC and probably move it to mITX from mATX, I'll put it in the M1 and take another look at the A30 for the second PC. It may also give them time to improve on the design.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Great review! I think the case looks really cool, but is oversized for what it is. 8.3L for FlexATX, 50mm CPU clearance and a short card isn't great. Granted, it supports 210mm-long cards, but that's a bit of a dead zone. I'd be curious if the Zotac Mini cards fit, they are 211mm.

Reactions: nextechnews