Motherboard [SFF Network] EVGA X99 Micro2 Review - Second Time's the Charm?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

EVGA is back with the X99 Micro2, a refresh to their microATX X99 motherboard. Is the sequel better than the original? Let's find out!

Read review here

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nice review ! Sadly the USB 3.0 header is placed the way it is, I will need an adapter in most cases I'd reckon. A very interesting board for the Kimera Nova !

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Poor form to change that USB header on such short notice and not include the adapter.

With the knowledge that the M.2 disables the last pci-e slot, I'm not so sure I'd go with this board over the Asrock afterall, as I'm not a fan of the socket placement on this board and how it conflicts with some air coolers.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
My issue with the ASRock mATX X99 boards is they're throwing away 3.0 lanes by making the bottom slot 2.0 x4. But if you're using M.2 then the EVGA X99 Micro2 loses the bottom slot entirely :\

So if you want to go air cooling and use M.2 then one of the ASRock boards is the best choice right now.

kostah

Cable Smoosher
Nov 8, 2015
Got my Micro 2 2 weeks ago... an awesome board..

Concerning the USB 3 Header:
Imagine a vertical alignment of the Mainboard, as in my case with the Aerocool DS Cube..
An USB 3 header facing down (as in the prototype versions) would render such a build impossible..
So I can see why EVGA moved back to the 'ordinary' header.
But then again, why not placing the header anywhere else, where it never would interfere with anything else..

The second issue is far more severe for me:
I can't get the M.2 AND the PCIe Slot 3 get to work at the same time..

the problem is manifold:

* Using the Samsung 950 Pro in M.2 slot
* I have the right processor: 5930K (28 lanes 5820K vs. the better 5930K and 5960X with 40 lanes)
* The manual from EVGA states, that it should work with 40 lanes, though, reducing PCIe Slot 3 from x8 to x4, which is fine for me, I need it for a lane-wise 'cheap' expansion, ASRock USB3.1. TypeA/C card, using x2 lanes only
* The BIOS (v. 1.02, current) states that by enabling M.2 slot, the PCIe Slot 3 is disabled, and it indeed is greyed out in the BIOS
* Asking EVGA about the issue: --> "It should work"
* Reading the Review here on SFF: "Edit: After further testing, the BIOS option description is incorrect and it actually is shared like the manual says. So with a 40-lane CPU the bottom PCIe slot will be reduced to 3.0 x4 when the M.2 slot is enabled, the bottom slot will still be disabled with the 5820K when the M.2 is turned on."
* Reading the EVGA forum: "To your first question with a 40 Lane CPU, you will have PE1 @ x16, PE2 x16 for both GPUs and a choice to have either a Wifi Card or a M.2 PCI-E SSD. You can't have both as the M.2 disables the PE3 slot."

*** Testing it myself: (5930K, Gigabyte 970 GTX Gaming G1, EVGA 750 Ti FTW, ASRock 3.1 USB Card, Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB)

==> With M.2 enabled: Samsung 950 Pro works, ASRock USB 3.1 card does NOT work
==> With M.2 disabled: Samsung 950 Pro does not work (obviously), ASRock USB 3.1 DOES work (showing up as x2 Gen 2)

So I can't get the sense behind all this, how could you guys from SFF Review of the Micro 2, conclude, that it works? Even after further testing... :) Did I do something wrong in the setup?

I'd really appreciate any help on that issue, cause I was considering every detail meticulously, when setting up my new rig..

PS: The 750 Ti FTW will have a water cooling to bring it down to 1 slot in use, to fit all 3 cards in the built, but this is another issue of its own..

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So I can't get the sense behind all this, how could you guys from SFF Review of the Micro 2, conclude, that it works? Even after further testing...

The further testing was I borrowed a Samsung SM951 and installed a GTX 980 in the bottom slot and checked both to see how many lanes they were running at and it worked. That SM951 I used is not the normal ones people have been buying though, it's from a Lenovo laptop and is an AHCI PCIe 2.0 x4 drive. Also I tested using the original 1.00 BIOS version.

I don't have a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 drive to check but I can update the BIOS on my board tomorrow and see if it still works with that SM951.

kostah

Cable Smoosher
Nov 8, 2015
I don't have a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 drive to check but I can update the BIOS on my board tomorrow and see if it still works with that SM951.
I'd be VERY thankful for it :) And thanks for the review, it is not only the only real review in the net as of now, it also is very detail focused o the important things..

Using the SM951 should render the same conditions as with the 950 Pro. And if it works, the guys over at EVGA need some serious reproach.. Beeing it one of the key features people choose that board over others. The board as of itself is not a bargain after all. (I don't only sound pissed, I am... spent like the last 5 evenings trying to figure out what the problem actually is).

I will try the same with a GTX in the bottom slot while M.2 enabled, it might only be a problem for the ASRock card, who knows..
I'll keep you updated..

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, I do apologize for the error in the review, I figured out what happened.

I got confused and it was the ASUS X99M-WS review that I had borrowed the SM951. For the EVGA, I had just turned the M.2 setting on without actually installing a drive, and saw that a video card in the bottom slot dropped to x4 but otherwise functioned just fine and assumed it would work.

Today, I installed the M.2 drive with the video card in the bottom slot and couldn't get any video. I tried several times, reset the CMOS, but no luck. In the process of troubleshooting I tried again with just the setting enabled but without the drive installed and it worked, though not consistently. Once I turned it on and no video, but turned it off and on again, and got video.

This is with BIOS version 1.00.

Edit: Here's the setup I threw together at work real quick to test this out:

Last edited:

kostah

Cable Smoosher
Nov 8, 2015
[M.2 active, but no drive installed:] a video card in the bottom slot dropped to x4 but otherwise functioned just fine and assumed it would work.

Today, I installed the M.2 drive with the video card in the bottom slot and couldn't get any video.
Thank you very much for the effort, mate. I really appreciate it.

Now, putting it all together, and with the afirmation of EVGA that it should work, it actually leaves me with hope that it's a BUG the EVGA guys can fix in BIOS update. I really do assume that it could be a PCIe listing error..

Will bug them now until the confirm what the final situation is.. This leaves me in a good position for negotiation. Thanks again mate.

BTW: I haven't had the opportunity to test it for my self, but I will try to reproduce your results to confirm it..

kostah

Cable Smoosher
Nov 8, 2015
Will bug them now until they confirm what the final situation is..
BTW: I haven't had the opportunity to test it for my self, but I will try to reproduce your results to confirm it..

Needles effort :) I can close my rig now and return the second AIO watercooling meant for the second GTX..

I got a reply from EVGA directly, apologizing for the fact that the manual is actually wrong. It is a hardware limitation that can not be corrected via BIOS update. I don't know whether the design was meant that way or it was simply not possible or it is a permanent design BUG.

So now it's fixed: NO PCIe Slot 3 while M.2 enabled and in use. Regardless of 28 or 40 lanes.

To bad..

The board is too gorgeous to give up on it, but an aftertaste remains...

Thanks buddies..

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's a bummer. At least we know for sure now.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I don't know whether the design was meant that way or it was simply not possible or it is a permanent design BUG.
I'd put my money on PCB design error. The BIOS option causes the PCIe slot to drop down as expected, and the manual lists it as such, so that functionality is clearly intended.

kostah

Cable Smoosher
Nov 8, 2015
I'd put my money on PCB design error. The BIOS option causes the PCIe slot to drop down as expected, and the manual lists it as such, so that functionality is clearly intended.
so we might hope for a x99 Micro3 then :D no seriosly, this board is awesome, but it could be better in some ways, so I hope the guys over at EVGA keep that in mind when doing the redesigns for the Skylake-E, as I suppose Broadwell-E is about to be skipped anyway, which is not too bad I think..

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Broadwell-E isn't being skipped. It's coming Q1 2016 and will use X99. They will be on 14nm.

The 6950X will supposedly be a 10-core.