confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The CPU cooler market sees near constant releases of new products - and yet, not much seems to be aimed at the Small Form Factor market segment. Because of this, we were quite excited to see a new contender arrive recently, in the SFF space: the CRYORIG C7, a 47mm tall, quad heatpipe, 92mm fan cooler with some unique design elements.

Read more here.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Good review! It would've been nice if you were able to quantify the noise levels, but I didn't expect you to own the necessary equipment.

I reaaaaally want to see how the C7 compares to the NH-L9i once you get a chance to test the latter.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Good review! It would've been nice if you were able to quantify the noise levels, but I didn't expect you to own the necessary equipment.

I reaaaaally want to see how the C7 compares to the NH-L9i once you get a chance to test the latter.

DB meter will be purchased early 2016 :)

And a comparison with the L9A (not 'i' due to test platform, but they are very similar) will be coming soon!

Further testing of this cooler will come soon (once I receive my anemometer in the mail) testing how the side openings affect the flow of the fan in varying circumstances;
-open air
-'PSU' above cooler
-case side panel above cooler

and the 3 above tests with the side channels blocked by tape.
The fan has an interesting design and I'd love to see the results of their design process.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Oh yeah right, the NH-L9 has two different versions :) It will be interesting whether that interferes with the CPU power socket on the board as well because I'm fairly certain that Noctua is strictly adhering to the keep-in zones.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Oh yeah right, the NH-L9 has two different versions :) It will be interesting whether that interferes with the CPU power socket on the board as well because I'm fairly certain that Noctua is strictly adhering to the keep-in zones.
We shall see. My test board may be out of spec - I have been unable to find a keep-out spec sheet or diagram anywhere!

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
Any chance of getting an L9-x65 to test also? I know it's getting kind of tall at 65mm, but uses the same fan as the L9a/i... then again if you start down that road you might want to compare to a single-fan NH-L12. Yes, I might have a Noctua problem.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Reactions: Josh | NFC

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Any chance of getting an L9-x65 to test also? I know it's getting kind of tall at 65mm, but uses the same fan as the L9a/i... then again if you start down that road you might want to compare to a single-fan NH-L12. Yes, I might have a Noctua problem.

I'll see what I can do :)

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
Well, this review answered my question regarding the fan mounting for this cooler. :(
A suggestion for the review would be to use different colors for the chart.
For the coolers that use a 120mm fan, in addition to the normal testing, would it be possible to use a same fan to test as well?

I would also like to add a request for a review of the Prolimatech Samuel 17 cooler.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Well, this review answered my question regarding the fan mounting for this cooler. :(
A suggestion for the review would be to use different colors for the chart.
For the coolers that use a 120mm fan, in addition to the normal testing, would it be possible to use a same fan to test as well?

I would also like to add a request for a review of the Prolimatech Samuel 17 cooler.

What colours would you prefer for the chart? I will be reducing the number of coolers in the chart in the future (after 2 or 3 more cooler reviews) to include only relevant sized or niche coolers for each review- at the moment we don't have sufficient data points to make it worth focusing here yet.

Using a uniform 120mm/92mm/80mm fan (depending on cooler) to add an additional data point will be coming in the future, once I obtain the ideal fans.

Sourcing the Prolimatech Samuel 17 cooler may prove to be more difficult, as it is not stocked in my country.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
What colours would you prefer for the chart? I will be reducing the number of coolers in the chart in the future (after 2 or 3 more cooler reviews) to include only relevant sized or niche coolers for each review- at the moment we don't have sufficient data points to make it worth focusing here yet.

Use different colours so colourblind people could tell them apart.
Looks like my guess from the new toys thread is right.
ninja 4 > Shuriken 2B > C7 > kodati

I started a poll on ocn to see which coolers are the most popular.
Cryorig C1 in first place followed by the Noctua NH-L9i and then the Scythe Big Shuriken 2B.

Using a uniform 120mm/92mm/80mm fan (depending on cooler) to add an additional data point will be coming in the future, once I obtain the ideal fans.

Sourcing the Prolimatech Samuel 17 cooler may prove to be more difficult, as it is not stocked in my country.

zillatron

Trash Compacter
Dec 5, 2015
The CPU cooler market sees near constant releases of new products - and yet, not much seems to be aimed at the Small Form Factor market segment. Because of this, we were quite excited to see a new contender arrive recently, in the SFF space: the CRYORIG C7, a 47mm tall, quad heatpipe, 92mm fan cooler with some unique design elements.

Read more here.
I've got one of these on order, should be arriving just after Xmas. I'll post some comparisons (vs H100i) to add to the discussion :)

Dan

Reactions: confusis

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
So much for 'Gauranteed to fit' - I'm working on some testing and the C7 doesn't fit the new board either! Of the 3 motherboards i have, it doesn't fit on two.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Maybe the engineers didn't take the "keep-out zones" chapter seriously enough and thought every mITX board is as barren as a Thin-mITX board.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I would hope they didn't think that, but the failure to fit rate doesn't bode well :/

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So much for 'Gauranteed to fit' - I'm working on some testing and the C7 doesn't fit the new board either! Of the 3 motherboards i have, it doesn't fit on two.

What are the restricting components? Does it touch components around the socket so it can't be screwed down, or is it touching the RAM?

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
On the ECS A960M-MV it hits the 4 pin CPU power plug (and blocks it) and also blocks the CPU fan plug, but the cooler can be screwed down.
On the MSI A68HI-AC it cannot be screwed down as it hits the VRM heatsink.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That makes me think they specifically designed the heatsink to comply with Intels keepout zones, not with AMDs. I could imagine the differences being the reason for Noctua making two versions of the NH-L9.