SFF.Network ASUS 200-Series Boards Lineup

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Any thoughts on ASUS including 3D printing mounting points for you to customize you MB? The picture below references a fan mounting bracket/grill and name plates. Gimmick or great?

From Amazon listing:
  • On-board 3D-printing mounts for creating unique designs on your customized build

Last edited:

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Any thoughts on ASUS including 3D printing mounting points for you to customize you MB? The picture below references a fan mounting bracket/grill and name plates. Gimmick or great?

I was hoping for a 3d model for the io shield, but nope. I'm sad..

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I personally love the idea of 3D printed and editable parts on PC hardware. I'd love to see someone do this with a mouse next. Design a mouse top to contour to my hand and mill it out of walnut or mahogany or something.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The picture below references a fan mounting bracket/grill and name plates. Gimmick or great?
Looks like a gimmick for now, but could be useful with different placement: if the mounting points were over the internal header areas, you could create a custom 'unitary header' plug that holds your power button/LED header, front panel USB & audio, fans, etc into a solid block, which you can then insert and remove as one item when working on a machine.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
3D printing support is cool, but you know they are going to charge an arm and a leg for that "support" even though it costs them next to nothing to do for their customers. It just feels like a gimmicky way to charge "gamers" more money for the same product.

Reactions: jeshikat

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
We just need the website to spring for one of these then we can reverse engineer all the stuff ourselves

Reactions: iFreilicht

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Once 3D scanning like this hits the mainstream, IP theft is going to be fucking nuts. I can't wait to see the fallout. Buy 900 dollar plastic designer glasses, scan the frames and thingiverse the shit. Gucci's gonna have a stroke.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
At $1.4B a year profit over $8.8B revenue for 79,000 employees in 2015 alone, I think they can deal with any loss in hobbyist counterfitting.

But you are right about this aspect: people should be very wary about product authenticity in the later stages when 3D printing evolves to make it harder to spot physical differences. But this is already happening in some markets, just look for "cracked replica wheel".