(COMPLETE) SFF Inception: NFC Skyreach 4 MINI Brickless Build Log

wooger0111

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 15, 2019
Is there any easy way I could get one of those modified brackets for my zotac 1080 mini? I really want to get this case because I have both of the hdplex parts already but I want it to be brickless. Awesome build btw

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Is there any easy way I could get one of those modified brackets for my zotac 1080 mini? I really want to get this case because I have both of the hdplex parts already but I want it to be brickless. Awesome build btw

You can join the NFC Discord channel and ask to be on the list for the next batch. Not sure when or if there will be another batch made, but people are interested. You can also modify the bracket like I did in this thread's earlier post. It works too.

wooger0111

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 15, 2019
You can join the NFC Discord channel and ask to be on the list for the next batch. Not sure when or if there will be another batch made, but people are interested. You can also modify the bracket like I did in this thread's earlier post. It works too.
Thanks for the info! I'm a little confused on how you screwed the first modified bracket on though. Do the custom made ones use the original screw holes?

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Thanks for the info! I'm a little confused on how you screwed the first modified bracket on though. Do the custom made ones use the original screw holes?

You'll have to look at the pics closely. A few new holes were made and the bracket was cut to slide it over. The custom made ones use all the original mounting points.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Oh, hey man. Thanks for posting pics of the HDplex ACDC with it's lid off, it's helped me a lot in planning a custom case. :)

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
I'm saddened that this build will be completed soon, and yet I also can't wait to finish it. I can't stress how difficult it is to fit everything into such a small form factor. Every mm matters, and there are things that I wanted to do that couldn't be done because of the limited space available. I wanted to post build updates on a more consistent and frequent basis, but I do have a career and a family that still demands most of my attention. I find myself thinking about this build while at work, and then I get frustrated because I have to wait to try new ideas or to make changes. In hindsight, it does keep me grounded and there have been times when I realized that it was a good thing that I couldn't do what I wanted to do because I had the opportunity to re-evaluate. Enough blabbering, time for some updates.

The custom carbon fiber face plate arrived today. Huge thanks to Josh@NFC for doing an outstanding job! It looks and feels like glass. The quality is better than I expected. This face plate is 10mm wider than the stock face plate to compensate for the 5mm gaps on each side of the case after the modifications.

Initial fitting of the face plate with the Deus Ex Titan Shield effect around the power button.

Currently, I've begun the process of determining cable routing for the iPad LCD and component placement within the case. It will be very tight and the placement availability is limited, but I still want to try to add an RGB light strip inside the case. Hopefully, I'll get an update today on the power coated side panels.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: The powder coated side panels are finished and ready for pick up. I'll get around to that in the next few days. For now, I've modeled and 3D printed a prototype iPad display bezel out of some cheap PLA. Adjustments will be made, if needed. I'm planning on using some Carbon Fiber filament for the final revision.

In the meantime, I received the G-Wolves Skoll mouse a little over a week ago. Time for the black and gold treatment.

The wireless antennae that came with the ASRock motherboard are hot trash. Since this build was created with travel in mind, I want a better option for WIFI. I don't like the wires that lead to the box assembly, so I'm replacing them with some new ones. I hid the logo with some gold vinyl wrap. I also had to modify the SMA connectors on the IO panel of the motherboard to create a larger space between them for the antennae to fit.

Last edited:

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: I have the freshly powder coated side panels. The "wet" look of the black gloss finish looks amazing. I can't wait to put them on the case. The powder coating added about .4mm to the overall thickness of each panel, so that will have to be compensated for in regards to the iPad LCD bezel.

I fine tuned the iPad LCD bezel dimensions and 3D printed another prototype using gold ABS. I plan to print a final version in either black or gold, but I haven't decided which color to go with. Black will obviously be more subtle, but will the gold be too much of a distraction when viewing the display? I'll have to try each and then post pictures for you to decide.

I reassembled the G-Wolves Skoll mouse. Really turned out pretty well. Only needed a few light coats and I put an extra coat of clear for durability.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: The iPad LCD bezel was 1.5 mm too large, so I made adjustments and started to print a new prototype. I made a rear bracket for the iPad LCD to hold it into place from inside of the side case panel. It fits perfectly, and the gold trim of the bracket can be seen from the rear of the case, but is concealed by the front face plate. All that's left is to verify the accuracy of the new bezel and to determine mounting options. I'm leaning towards drilling and tapping a few holes in combination with some RTV high temp silicon.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: The re-designed bezel turned out well. Still on the fence as to whether I should go with a black bezel or a gold one. What do you guys think? Glossy black or solar gold?

Reactions: Broxin

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I agree that the bezel is too wide - unlike everything else in this build it looks very "DIY grade" and visually it's quite jarring. One solution might be to make the outer half or so of the bezel black? Would probably make for a very complicated print, though. Also, I worry about color matching between your gold paint and the gold filament, as the latter just looks yellow in the photos. Suppose a more finished (sanded/polished/acetone vapor treated) finish would make it look more gold and less yellow, but if I were you I think I would print in black and paint that instead.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
I appreciate all the input. This is still a prototype. I agree that the bezel is a little too wide. I did it to conceal the partially cut skyslots to make it appear more even. I'll make a bezel that is thinner over the weekend. As for the color of the gold filament, it will definitely be painted with the same solar gold used previously, if I decide to go with the gold.

Reactions: Broxin and Valantar