Prototype SF-ATX Aluminum mainstream case (CX2 update)

Wherebestcase

Cable Smoosher
Jun 23, 2021
I'd like to ask about the motherboard tray, panels and drive bays, but I'd need more renders before I could properly ask about them, do you think you could release a 3D interactive model, like the weapon models on the metro site, where you can look at any part of the model in a browser?

Mykyta

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2021

2021-08-12: still WIP, called "FreeFlow MiniHorn"​

The horn are *removable, trying to get magnets working.

TLDR, I want to do more CNC products, b/c it's newish for me and that's what gets me excited. Most cases on the market use sheetmetal (thin metal sheets bent into shape). However, as an enthusiasts, CNC is more cool imo, also much harder to come down in price, but solving problems is exciting for me.

Here are the latest thoughts:
- Targeting $80 to $120
- Mainstream availability
- ATX mobo support, XLATX (TR40X) support *maybe
- Dual 280mm radiator support
- 165mm Air cooler support
- support SFX, SFX-L and ATX PSU up to 200mm
- 22-26L, undecided on support TR40X & SSI-EEB mobo support
- ETA this year.
Hello mate,
Hope you and your family are well.
Please let the community know how are you getting on with the MiniHorn project and NCase M1 replacement.
You've previously mentioned end of 2021 as a deadline.
Kindest regards,
Myk

Timothy

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
I preferred the simple appeal of the cx2, but the possibilities offered by everything being screwed together vs riveted are appealing. I also would be happy with either coming to market.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
to me, the CX2 is a no-nonsense case i wouldn't have to disassemble when travelling. on the other hand, the SF-ATX looks to be flat-packed, so in the worst case where carrying this case by hand on long distances isn't possible, there's that option to pack it into any luggage

i'd choose the CX2 because i'd save on bringing the original boxes as padding, but if the SF-ATX outs first i might just get it to contain the rat's nest of a bench i have right now. i'll very likely end up with a CX2 later as it gets made

Last edited:
Reactions: Timothy

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Hello mate,
Hope you and your family are well.
Please let the community know how are you getting on with the MiniHorn project and NCase M1 replacement.
You've previously mentioned end of 2021 as a deadline.
Kindest regards,
Myk
Also interested in an update on this. I guess it is no longer a 2021 project?

Basically depends on power outage / blackout and logistic problem for December.

Due to the problems mentioned above, we had to choose one project to prioritized for 2021, and that project is eating up all resources, machine time, allocation we scheduled.

I assume there is small group of people interested, so if blackout gets better, maybe I can ship a prototype for review and do some sort of preorder assuming demand is low.

If demand is higher, given we can’t make it asap, we will prob be more conservative on preorder / reservation.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I may be in a minority, but I actually liked the CX2 more than this, but either coming to market would be nice.

I preferred the simple appeal of the cx2, but the possibilities offered by everything being screwed together vs riveted are appealing. I also would be happy with either coming to market.

to me, the CX2 is a no-nonsense case i wouldn't have to disassemble when travelling. on the other hand, the SF-ATX looks to be flat-packed, so in the worst case where carrying this case by hand on long distances isn't possible, there's that option to pack it into any luggage

i'd choose the CX2 because i'd save on bringing the original boxes as padding, but if the SF-ATX outs first i might just get it to contain the rat's nest of a bench i have right now. i'll very likely end up with a CX2 later as it gets made

I mentioned prior, looks are a feature, so we should let you guys choose different panels for a different look.

Myk

Efficiency Noob
Apr 29, 2020
Basically depends on power outage / blackout and logistic problem for December.

Due to the problems mentioned above, we had to choose one project to prioritized for 2021, and that project is eating up all resources, machine time, allocation we scheduled.

I assume there is small group of people interested, so if blackout gets better, maybe I can ship a prototype for review and do some sort of preorder assuming demand is low.

If demand is higher, given we can’t make it asap, we will prob be more conservative on preorder / reservation.
Good morning Wahaha360,
Hope you and your family are safe and well.
I think I will disagree with you in regards to the demand as there is definitely market gap for a premium (aluminium) compact ATX case.
(O11 Mini for example is way too wide and build quality is average in my opinion).
There is simply nothing like this on the market at the moment and I believe there are plenty of people who would like to purchase it.
Unfortunately, people eventually starting to lose their hope for the project to materialize as they were expecting CX2 to hit the shelves back in 2020.
And here we are in almost 2022. I understand your desire to prioritize and finish another main project (which makes perfect sense).
Therefore, a clearer guideline or a roadmap + Optimum Tech review would reignite the interest of the potential buyers. I personally, and the rest of the community are really hoping that there will be an opportunity to pre-order and get the first test shipment done no later than Q1 / Q2 2022.
Please try your absolute best to complete this project as soon as possible and you will be rewarded with plenty of good reviews and money.
Kindest regards,
Myk

Timothy

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
I like seeing this project progress even if it still isn't available, athough I would of course prefer to be able to buy it😁. If there have been any updates could we get some more photos?

Reactions: N9neBreak3r

Rud

Case Bender
New User
Feb 5, 2020

I would agree to this, while I like the businesslike presentation of the CX2, I would love an SFF ATX version of the FORMD T1 V2 Reference.

If you hit the expected target price, it would be fantastic to have a flatpack version of this, but it would be because it is cost effective and flexible frame.

Actually. I kind of really want a tall FormD T1 Reference mixed with the Cerberus X in this layout. I love that.

deepfriedplastic

Case Bender
New User
Nov 29, 2021
Hi there, really hyped to see that the CX2 project is back! I was hoping to use a 140mm exhaust fan in a CX2 but I saw there was originally no space to do so. Do you plan on doing a 120mm exhaust fan option or smaller?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Hi there, really hyped to see that the CX2 project is back! I was hoping to use a 140mm exhaust fan in a CX2 but I saw there was originally no space to do so. Do you plan on doing a 120mm exhaust fan option or smaller?

120 is ok, 140 attached to 168mm CPU cooler maybe,

Myk

Efficiency Noob
Apr 29, 2020
Hi Wahaha360,
Happy New 2022 Year! ;)
Hope you are safe and well.
Please let the community know what is the progress on MiniHorn ATX project?
Did you manage to ship the prototype to the reviewers as discussed back in November 2021 (I know you've mentioned blackouts earlier)?
Kindest regards,
Myk

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Hi Wahaha360,
Happy New 2022 Year! ;)
Hope you are safe and well.
Please let the community know what is the progress on MiniHorn ATX project?
Did you manage to ship the prototype to the reviewers as discussed back in November 2021 (I know you've mentioned blackouts earlier)?
Kindest regards,
Myk

Still working on it. These last two years had too many supply chain issues holding the team back, but I'm 100% committed to making this product (outer panel or looks might change, but the idea will be executed. In my mind, looks are just a feature).

We opened a Discord Server because it's a better format for speedier feedback. So come and say hello.

deepfriedplastic

Case Bender
New User
Nov 29, 2021
How many GPU slots are manageable if the PSU is placed in front of PCIe slots 6-8? I plan on only using 3-slot GPUs for the foreseeable future.