Sentry case on deep sea

Hi folks,
Any seamans on the forum?
Let me say hallo and tell my story.:cool:
I've started my professional life at sea 20 years back, but always been tech and PC gaming enthusiast. Remember, when after my first 6 months trip as a deck cadet spent most of my earned money on the laptop. It was plenty money but it was really awsom to join next ship with own PC in the bag. It was just the begining of notobeooks popularity and after few next year's there was literally no seamen joining ship without his own 7+ kg laptop. Since those days most of us working at sea replaced heavy laptops with ultrabooks, lablets or just a smartphones , as it meets most of the needs. Unlike the most of my friend's, my next laptops was only bigger and more expecive. As a high quality gaming enthusiast I was forced to replace my "gaming" laptop every few seasons, loosing money and never being fully satisfied with the performance. The idea of heaving compact size pc which can fit my backpack and travell whole the world on multiple flights to join a vessel came to my mind, but for many years it was only my dream. Last year, before orginal Cyberpunk 2077 premiere the time for laptop replacement has come again. Few weeks of gaming laptop rescherch pissed me off. To play descent quality I had to pay a fortune for a laptop and the experience still wouldn't be as I expected. Luckily I found you guys and started to dig SFF subject.

Wow. That's pretty long welcome. Making the story bit shorter. My dreams comes true and now I'm an owner of a console size case SENTRY with Gtx1080ti. It was really something I was dreaming about for years, as it looks as it was designed specially to meet my needs. (thank you Dr.Zaber - you are the best)
I've already joned the ship with my computer for a second time and can share some experience with traveling with such equipment all over the world. I know there must be a quite large number of people who have similar requirements but never heard about SFF like Sentry and still buying those crazy, full of shit laptops.
Let them know, SFF is what each seaman like me needs.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Welcome, Popeye the sailor man!

Not intending to invade your privacy, can you say if your vessel is military, luxury cruiser or a cargo ship with hundreds of containers?
For months at sea, how does the access to internet go? I suppose, a cruiser would have satellite internet but at limited speed?
Also, does month at sea pose any potential corrosive problem due to higher salt content in the air? Of course, again if you are with a cruise liner, I suppose the interior is all air conditioned with no such problem at all.

Reactions: Phuncz

Navigator

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 1, 2020
Hi tinyitx
Merchant navy - I've spent many years on deep sea going vessels like bulk carriers and containers vessels - 4 months trips was a minimum. Nowadays I'm in offshore industry, dynamic positioning ships - 6 weeks on board is no such a pain if you can play on something descen if your free time. All accommodation areas are AC so as long you not fancy to play outside corrosion shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately internet is still an issue. On most offshore units it's not so bad but satellite internet is still not enough for competitive online plays. Cargo ships are even worst. Once in ports, most people buys local simcards for a proper connections but on deep sea you are very limited with the bandwidth. Looking forward Musk's Starlink which should change a lot, I think.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Navigator, that's a pretty interesting use case scenario you got there. I assume the Sentry is doing great, and yeah careful with corrosion though. Do you use any portable monitor or you just use any available TV panel there?

If I remember correctly there are a few here in the forum who also spend quite some of their time on the sea.

Navigator

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 1, 2020
Hi ignsvn
Need to search forum to find those guys or open new feed to share experiences about traveling with SFF.
Yeh, Sentry is just perfect for my needs. I was waiting ages for this kind of case. When I found out that this thing is existing I was dying to get one. Availability of such cases is so bad. Luckily found one on the second hand market.
I'm sure there are thousands of pepole like me, but they just don't know nothing about SFF and they believe that laptop is the only solution. I hope more case manufacturers will find out that the market for small, backpack frendly, heavy duty, cases for a full size GPU is there and start making them in a proper quantity. At the moment I can not even start recommending this solution to my sea brothers as there is nothing like this case available on the market.
There is plenty of old monitors, TVs, keyboards, cables and you name it peripherals on each vessel, so the box is really what you need. But if you really care it is not a problem to get a good stuff from home. 24inch bazel less monitor fits perfectly my decathlon check-in bag.