• Discord! Come chat with us in our Discord server, open to all forum members, but now we've opened it up to all. Join our discussions by clicking the "Discord" button on the side menu!!

Sellers regret

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Don’t know if this is the right place for although I would assume it is since it’s general
Anyone ever get sellers regret for getting rid of hardware even if you know you’re in a pinch that you have to?
I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions on this I always tend to get myself in a shitty bind cause I overspend on some of my builds >.<

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Here is my experience.
I had a 450w G-Unique combo but wasn't happy with having a brick. So I sold it, and looked into PSUs smaller than SFX that I could use instead. I settled on a meanwell PSU, but it is 12v only and I needed a pico psu to generate the minor rails on the 24 pin - a pico psu like the G-Unique I sold!

I tried to order a new archdeamon G-unique without the brick, which was frustrating and ultimately he refused to make me one without a brick/PSU. So I bought an older G-unique from a kind user who generously sold it to me without the brick. I cut the DC-jack off and wired it to my meanwell PSU.

Had I never sold my G-Unique kit I would've saved myself weeks of time and some frustration :)

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Here is my experience.
I had a 450w G-Unique combo but wasn't happy with having a brick. So I sold it, and looked into PSUs smaller than SFX that I could use instead. I settled on a meanwell PSU, but it is 12v only and I needed a pico psu to generate the minor rails on the 24 pin - a pico psu like the G-Unique I sold!

I tried to order a new archdeamon G-unique without the brick, which was frustrating and ultimately he refused to make me one without a brick/PSU. So I bought an older G-unique from a kind user who generously sold it to me without the brick. I cut the DC-jack off and wired it to my meanwell PSU.

Had I never sold my G-Unique kit I would've saved myself weeks of time and some frustration :)

Love the response. See I’ve done similar in situations where trying to go smaller too. Just to find out it’s going to cost me way more the route I go. I’ve had buyers remorse as well unfortunately. Things not fitting my needs just to have to sell drastically less it’s def frustrating especially when I thought my research was correct

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Since I have a smol "office"/workshop and I hoard computer hardware, I've gotten used to putting stuff in weird places: there's a 1U server under my bed (not running) along with a Dell OEM machine. In my closet I have some random motherboards and components in random boxes, and then there's the 4U unit hidden next to a couch. I also have an IBM Aptiva case that I use as a stool when working at a table, and that has random drives mounted.

The hardware I most regret selling would be my Raspberry Pi. I wish I had that thing right now.

TL;DR: Find creative ways to hoard and you'll be fine.

Reactions: W1NN1NG

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I sold my X99 board and in the end got hosed on the eBay transaction. The package was lost in the mail or stolen and it was my responsibility to issue a full refund to the buyer.

Reactions: el01 and NateDawg72

loader963

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
My Filco Majestouch Convertible 2. Best keyboard for my needs at the time and I still regret selling it.

I sold my X99 board and in the end got hosed on the eBay transaction. The package was lost in the mail or stolen and it was my responsibility to issue a full refund to the buyer.

I’ve had a few nightmares on eBay:

1-1080 strix- unauthorized purchase
(Covered by PayPal)

2- 6700k- suspicious account activity
(Canceled by eBay after I shipped but I got to keep the money)

3- Samsung 4tb 850 Evo- claimed lost in mail even though it needed a confirmed signature

( resolved by usps as actual misdelivery to a neighbor. This was terrifying and I stayed calm and friendly thinking he was a scammer but usps came thru. They sent postal inspectors and everything else into getting it back and to the buyer.... probably that $1k plus insurance had something to do with it)

I’ve come close but never been bitten on eBay. I used to count on that cash for my hobby but not anymore. Now I buy my own stuff first. Then I’ll try to sell local at way cheaper rates. If that fails I put it on eBay and consider it donated. When the transaction comes out successful, I celebrate lol.

Reactions: Solo and Damascus

Andrew.J.Vigil

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Nov 28, 2017
Here is my experience.

Omg SAME SAME SAME

Reactions: NateDawg72

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I did... @NateDawg72 I had the ArchDaemon Special Edition with an Infinity Brick... It was literally the last power supply I would ever need for any of my projects... Then I sold and now realize I would have saved so much trouble if I kept it...
I had ArchDaemon 2017 christmas edition :) I remember it was #9. I wasn't a fan of the color actually but it worked well. After I sold it I tried a PicoPSU 160XT and it just isn't designed well, had problems with booting my motherboard. The used archdaemon standard I ended up getting works fine, but I've cut up the cables a bit since it wasn't wired like I wanted

Reactions: Andrew.J.Vigil