CPU Sanity check: 2x EPP-400-12 + 3950x + 2070 mini in 4.1 liters internal

Talionar

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Jan 7, 2021
Hey folks! I'm new to the community, so far was just a reader and wanted to thank you all for all the discussions, questions, answers, and measurements!)

I've recently built a small build with 1070 ti, Ryzen 2600 + Dark Rock TF and SF600 PSU, but it was too big to carry around in a backpack so I've decided to shrink it down:

I want to replace PSU with 2x Meanwell EPP-400-12 which must give me 250+250 Watts of fanless power which must be enough to power MB + CPU from one supply and GPU from another, but I have few questions:

1. How hot Meanwell can be at 250 Watts? I plan to place both PSUs under the GPU like that - sandwich style, pretty close to the GPU, and wonder if it can cause heat issues (for both PSU and GPU).
  2. Are out there any PCIe risers with external power (so GPU and MB power lines will be disconnected)? In that case, I can fully decouple two Meanwell PSUs so they will not fight in case the voltage difference will be too high between them.

I'm doing this mainly because:

• All the small sandwich cases have CPU cooling limitations, and going lower than 70mm in height will be not sufficient. With this build seems like I can still go about 17x30x8cm internal size and have same hardware like in Velka 3.
  • Flex PSUs while similar in size are quite noisy (+ 600w Flex are more expensive compared to 2x Meanwell + 24pin DC-DC in my area).
If you see any other pitfalls/useless optimization/issues that I did not mention will really appreciate if you post them here :)