Anandtech Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe SSD

Anandtech posted their review of the NVMe and AHCI editions, although we still should be mindful that the NVMe driver in Windows 8.1 is being blamed for sub-optimal performance. It is expected to perform better with the Windows 10 driver.

Availability:
The SM951-NVMe is an OEM part, meaning that availability is very restricted. The drive is listed by a handful of online retailers, but none of them seem to have it in stock yet. RamCity is expecting stock in mid-July, but told us that even that is uncertain because its distributors are still saying that the NVMe version is in sampling stage with no schedule for high volume availability. We got our 256GB sample directly from Samsung, hence the early access, as it seems that there is no way to buy the SM951-NVMe at this point. I will provide an update when I hear more about the availability.

Part of the conclusion:
In terms of performance, the NVMe version of the SM951 offers an upgrade over its AHCI sibling. The average data rate (i.e. large IO performance) isn't dramatically better compared to the AHCI version, but when it comes to small IO latency the SM951 and NVMe in general show their might. Typically the NVMe version offers about 10-20% improvement in average latency over the AHCI version, which is a healthy boost in performance given that the two utilize identical hardware.

If I have to post one image, it's the above one. While it's still handicapped by the crude Microsoft driver, it still has an amazingly low latency and high random read-write performance, which is much more relevant to true performance than continuous throughput.

I can't wait for all these M.2 NVMe drives showing the world that small can also mean blazingly fast.

Reactions: jeshikat

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think things will take off with Windows 10, Skylake, and proper consumer versions of these kind of drives.

Right now there's too many caveats to really recommend them to everyone.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes indeed, I'm hoping to get one just around the time of the Win10 launch, so I can do a clean install on an insanely fast drive.

Reactions: WiSK

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015
Looking forward to reading your experiences Phuncz with Win10 + NVMe

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You and me both ! I hope NVMe support in Windows is on a proper level from the start, I'm going to be looking for other's experiences soon. Windows 10 is shaping up nicely what I'm reading, so I'm having high hopes.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I suggest delaying the purchase of this until the Flash Summit conference on Aug 11-13th.

Very close to the July 29th Win10 release date, and something may be announced/released that will make you regret buying an OEM drive over something more suited to consumer machines.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I will not be buying an OEM drive, I'm waiting for the retail version of the SM951, which Samsung has said to be in the works. If nothing viable is available, I'll ofcourse wait :)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The press release for the 2TB 850 drives had this tidbit:

Following the launch of the 2TB 850 drives, Samsung will expand high capacity 3D V-NAND SSD lineups to include mSATA and M.2 form factors to address the gaming PC, laptop PC and high performance SSD markets.

Reactions: MJVR1

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The 950 Pro 256GB and 512GB models use 32-layer V-NAND which doesn't have a high enough density. The 1TB should launch next year sometime from what I'm reading, it's made possible by using the new 48-layer stuff.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Finally, PC Jesus has sprayed me in the face with his awesomesauce and blessed me with the foretelling of the 950 Pro. I'll be getting one as soon as possible.
2,5" drives are so 2014 *prancing like a pony*

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The 950 Pro 256GB and 512GB models use 32-layer V-NAND which doesn't have a high enough density. The 1TB should launch next year sometime from what I'm reading, it's made possible by using the new 48-layer stuff.

Ah so mSATA actually has a little more surface area than M.2? That's interesting, didn't know that.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Samsung also decided to make this one single-sided with two chips, while the Samsung SM951 was double-sided with 4 chips. The 1TB mSATA is also double-sided with four chips.

So they already reduced the amount of chips. Since they aren't using their latest version of their V-NAND like Aiboh said, there is still more progress to be made.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
All together now... FIIIIIIIIINALLLY!

The 1TB model can't come soon enough.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Samsung also decided to make this one single-sided with two chips, while the Samsung SM951 was double-sided with 4 chips. The 1TB mSATA is also double-sided with four chips.

So they already reduced the amount of chips. Since they aren't using their latest version of their V-NAND like Aiboh said, there is still more progress to be made.

Huh, strange that they would do that, but I guess they've got their reasons.

All together now... FIIIIIIIIINALLLY!

The 1TB model can't come soon enough.

Yeah seriously, Samsung, hurry up. You're completely alone in this market right now, grab the money while you can.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
2,5" drives are so 2014 *prancing like a pony*

I don't know about that. The 4TB 2.5" drive is pretty enticing to me. 2x of those in Raid 1 on Storage Spaces will suit my just fine. I'd like to do away with mechanical disks entirely. That is becoming a financial possibility with each passing day!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't know about that. The 4TB 2.5" drive is pretty enticing to me. 2x of those in Raid 1 on Storage Spaces will suit my just fine. I'd like to do away with mechanical disks entirely. That is becoming a financial possibility with each passing day!

I suspect that the overlap between people tempted by that, and those tempted by these M.2 SSD's, is very small. You either feel that you need gobs of local storage, or you don't.

To wit, my one and only computer currently is a Macbook Pro with a 512GB SSD, and while it can be a bit cramped at times, it is never "not enough" for my uses - which are hardly lightweight, as they include development (both app and web), photography, image and basic video editing, virtualization, dual-booting (Win10), gaming... and on and on and on :p

What makes this feasible is the fact that I store all of my media in the cloud (if I'm not streaming it), and the fact that I simply don't need to access very much data at any one moment. However, my workload is very sensitive to the speed in which that information can be accessed, and I care about the volume and power implications of my storage. So, PCIe flash-based storage is unequivocally ideal.

The transition to universal solid state media is inevitable - the cost and capacity gains made by SSD's have continually outpaced those of HDD's, and SSD's are simply much more practical. However, a side effect of this transition - that I hope sticks around - is the perception that less, faster storage is probably better for most people than more, slower storage. I'd be willing to bet that people practically never touch over half of the data they store locally, and a consequence of this is uniformly decreased performance at a very high cost (on a relative basis). Plus, there's actually a lot of value in having not quite enough space for absolutely everything, since it forces you into the exercise of prioritizing what it is that you actually care about and need.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I'm actually in the overlap category, however small. I'd still use a 512GB or 1TB M.2 for OS, but as I don't use cloud storage for my data, the additional storage is a necessity. Not necessarily 4TB though - 2TB could be potentially feasible - the new lineup should drop prices on the current 2TB drives.