C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com

Hello!

I have started a new project on the side of my other build, CURV3D. The idea to this build started when I was planning another future build. This other build I want to make in the future are also a scratchbuild and a bit complicated, so I wanted to get more experience on working with aluminium, so whats better then building a simpler case?

It will be made out of 2mm aluminium with simple handtools (jigsaw, drill, dremel and handfiles). I did not want to make a regular cube-looking case so I will go for a angled roof and graphics card.

The hardware that will go into this build is this:

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix Z370i Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i3 9100F
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX1050Ti OC 4GB
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 2x8GB
SSD: Corsair MP510 480GB
PSU: Streacom Nano-PSU 150W
RAD: Magicool 92mm radiator
PUMP: Alphacool DC-LT
RES: Custom
CPU-block: Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro
GPU-block: Bykski 1050Ti

Update 1 - Frontpanel and base
Update 2 - Backplate and graphics card mounting
Update 3 - New fans
Update 4 - Layout, pump-mount and sleeving
Update 5 - New CPU
Update 6 - More sleeving, SSD and IO-cover
Update 7 - Sintech PCIe riser
Update 8 - Fan-grills and sidepanels
Update 9 - Dreamhack Summer 2017
Update 10 - Resurrection.

I hope you will stay and see the progress. :)

Best regards,
Johan Nyman

Last edited:

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Update 1

So what I started doing was to cut out the bottom plate and backplate.

I am using the cubes that Parvum sells to put everything together, nice ones actually. :)

I measured out the holes for the motherboard standoffs and drilled them out and used a M3 tap to make some threads.

Aaaaand done!

This will be the layout of the case and hardware. What do you think?

Best regards,
Johan Nyman

Reactions: Runamok81 and NRG

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Update 2

I decided on going for a bare metal - green theme. So the aluminium will be roughly polished and I will sleeve the few cables there is white-grey-green.

Next thing on the list was to cut out the I/O-plate. I did a rough cut with the jigsaw and then uses handfiles to get some nice edges. I always have a lot of tools on the table while working, embracing the chaos.

Then I used my Dremel to cut of the GPU-plate so it would be singleslot. I also bent back the little bend on the edge so the entire plate is flat....

...so I could us it to measure out the holes for the DVI, HDMI and DP.

To get those holes out I started by drilling holes in the edges and then used my Dremel to cut out some lines.

Woho! Just needs some finishing touches.

This is why I bent the plate so it is flat, so I could be able to fasten it to the backplate.

Looks like this from the other side.

This is what I, after very many hours, think the best way to have the custom loop. Because with this setup I can lower the top a little bit and make the case shorter too, which will make the case even smaller.

This is all for now, off to snowboarding vacation now for a week.

What do you think so far?

Best regards,
Johan Nyman

Last edited:

raymondo

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2015
Looking good so far. Something like this is what I would imagine a 'true ITX' (read: small form factor) Lian Li PC-Q30 would have looked like.
However, I have to admit that I don't quite like the bare metal look. How much will you polish it though? Brushed aluminium look-alike similar to silver Lian Li cases?
One more question: is there a certain brand of tool you use for tapping screw holes?

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Looking good so far. Something like this is what I would imagine a 'true ITX' (read: small form factor) Lian Li PC-Q30 would have looked like.
However, I have to admit that I don't quite like the bare metal look. How much will you polish it though? Brushed aluminium look-alike similar to silver Lian Li cases?
One more question: is there a certain brand of tool you use for tapping screw holes?

Thank you! I dont think I will brush it, but polish it to make it a bit shiny.

For taps I don't have a certain brand I use no. :)

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Just wanted you to know, I find this build really inspiring! I've been looking at cases to shoehorn components into and been coming up short, pretty sure I can follow your example and between my garage and Home Depot come up with an awesome build.

If you could link some of the components you used in your build that'd be cool.

Already starting to go through and figure where I can use pop rivets and where I'd need to drill and tap.

Interested to see where the build ends up!

Reactions: Biowarejak

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Looking good! I certainly like the idea of the build, but as you're going for low-power components anyway, wouldn't it make sense to do a full loop for CPU and GPU? It seems like the air-cooled CPU is not really fitting the theme of the build.
The shape of the case would lend itself really well to a parallel block setup in that regard too, you could make the tubes look like supports for the GPU, resting on the CPU block.

Either way, I'll be following along.

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Just wanted you to know, I find this build really inspiring! I've been looking at cases to shoehorn components into and been coming up short, pretty sure I can follow your example and between my garage and Home Depot come up with an awesome build.

If you could link some of the components you used in your build that'd be cool.

Already starting to go through and figure where I can use pop rivets and where I'd need to drill and tap.

Interested to see where the build ends up!

Thanks Ceros_X!

All the components I used are in my first post. Anything particular you are looking for?

When you start your build put up a log here! :)

Looking good! I certainly like the idea of the build, but as you're going for low-power components anyway, wouldn't it make sense to do a full loop for CPU and GPU? It seems like the air-cooled CPU is not really fitting the theme of the build.
The shape of the case would lend itself really well to a parallel block setup in that regard too, you could make the tubes look like supports for the GPU, resting on the CPU block.

Either way, I'll be following along.

Thanks. I would need another radiator for that I think and I really like this combo of LC and AC. :)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think maybe a 120mm radiator would work, but I think a 92mm would be to small to be able to cool both the CPU and GPU when they are being used a lot. :)

I'd agree. At least, without having a jet engine of a computer o_O

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Everywhere I've searched for parvum modding cubes has been sold out, I've expanded my search to looking for 3 way brackets at home Depot at 9pm last night lol. Are you using a shielded riser cable for the GPU?

Looking forward to seeing final build!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think maybe a 120mm radiator would work, but I think a 92mm would be to small to be able to cool both the CPU and GPU when they are being used a lot. :)

Oh, I was under the impression that this actually was a 120mm rad, but you've put the information in plain sight in the first post. I agree that noise would become a problem with a 92mm one.

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
I'd agree. At least, without having a jet engine of a computer o_O

Oh, I was under the impression that this actually was a 120mm rad, but you've put the information in plain sight in the first post. I agree that noise would become a problem with a 92mm one.

It might work with two high performance fans on push and pull, but that would both take up more space and be pretty noisy so Ill stay with the NHL9i on the CPU, I have three new 92mm fans coming next week though which will fit better with the theme. :)

Everywhere I've searched for parvum modding cubes has been sold out, I've expanded my search to looking for 3 way brackets at home Depot at 9pm last night lol. Are you using a shielded riser cable for the GPU?

Looking forward to seeing final build!

I bought them directly from Parvum but as you say they are sold out right now. Otherwise I guess you can use angled aluminium pieces to fasten everything together.

The GPU-riser cable is not shielded as I know, I bought a cheap one on eBay. I tried it out and it works, but I havent tried loading the GPU much, if it does not work I will maybe buy one from 3M. :)

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I'm looking for some premade brackets now, might get someone to weld a box together for me.

The 3M riser is good but expensive, iFreilicht had good experiences going through a taiwanese company Li-Heat (over eBay) for some custom risers for half the price. I am sure he can speak better to that, though.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I really like the HDPLEX riser. If that thing actually performs well, and I think it will, it could be an extremely good alternative. Maybe you can even get a custom length version from HDPLEX.

If you want to know more about the Li-Heat risers, look no further.

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
I'm looking for some premade brackets now, might get someone to weld a box together for me.

The 3M riser is good but expensive, iFreilicht had good experiences going through a taiwanese company Li-Heat (over eBay) for some custom risers for half the price. I am sure he can speak better to that, though.

That sounds good! Yeah 3M is expensive, they are really good though. I have been talking to Li-Heat too about making a custom lenght one.

Li-Heat is great!

I also recommend http://www.ameri-rack.com/ for U.S. customers. They have great products, good prices, and excellent service.

Contact Paul:

Paul Lan
Ameri-Rack Technology,Inc.
20950 Currier Road,
Walnut, CA 91789
Tel: (626)203-6979 Fax:(909)468-9108
http://www.ameri-rack.com

Awesome! Do you know if they do custom lenghts?

came across the hdplex silicon riser the other day. NFI on how well they work but the price is right
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Silicon-PCIEx16-3.0-Flexible-Riser.html

that's an interesting alternative riser

I really like the HDPLEX riser. If that thing actually performs well, and I think it will, it could be an extremely good alternative. Maybe you can even get a custom length version from HDPLEX.

If you want to know more about the Li-Heat risers, look no further.

The HD-Plex one looks awesome. That one in a custom build with a copper theme. :D

Do anyone of you know someone who makes or somewhere I can buy a 5cm riser cable?

With kind regards,
Johan Nyman