S4MAX: Brickless S4M w/ 3090 FE and R9 5950x - 800W, 5l, water cooled

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I feel like you have just enough space for a laptop cooler to fit in the limited space you have next to the pump. Laptop heatsinks are meant to cool ~15w chips, which is around what the x570 chipset runs at IIRC. You would have to do some heatpipe bending and make a custom mount to make it work, but it might be worth it.
Something like this would be perfect (this picture is upside down, so it would angle right in that empty space just perfect):
The dimensions of that would need to be perfect for it to fit though. IMO the chances of that are minimal at best. Something like what @Fitchew suggests above is far more likely to fit - and likely less work than customizing something pre-made. Given that we know the OP has access to some sort of lathe, they could machine an aluminium cold plate for the heatpipes to fit into, with perfectly spaced mounting holes for the chipset, and then bend their heatpipes so that they align perfectly with the vent.

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Or maybe something like that, but with a lot more custom DIY work (not a problem for you I think).
Pair of this fin radiators https://a.aliexpress.com/_eLCKya
Pair of this heat pipes https://a.aliexpress.com/_eOy8Ju
One copper plate like this 40*40*5mm or this 40*40*10mm fin rad
It remains only to bend the tubes, bring two radiators just behind the two PCI slots of the case and then weld everything together.
Nice finds! Gets me thinking whether I can make my initial plan a bit more cost efficient - currently I'm pondering over all-custom-machined parts... see below!

Reactions: Fitchew

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
2) Tackling that chipset!

After some pondering over what could fit and work, and before processing some of the feedback above, I came up with a design for two custom parts that I currently go back-and-forth about with a CNC shop I have been using for my previous build - intent here is to machine them from solid copper and finish them with a nickel coating.

Very similar to what has been proposed in earlier comments, I want to link the chipset to a heatsink-fan-unit using a heat pipe, in this case, a 5mm diameter copper tube.

The design intent is to use a Noctua A4-10 to press cool air from the lower card slot and the openings in the case's bottom vertically through the fin stack for evacuation through the slots in the top cover and to the rear, through the upper card slot. The fins over the fan are spaced tightly for mechanical ventilation, the peripheral ones slightly wider for natural convection.

The section shows how airflow is intended to work:

Plan is to fix the heat sink block to the rear of the case using two M2.5 screws...

...and use three M3 screws to clamp it onto a 5mm copper heat pipe.

The chipset cold plate is designed using a similar one-piece approach, clamping the block against the heat pipe using three screws to exert pressure onto a slotted hole.

The 54mm diagonal between the two mounting holes on the ASRock x570 ITX/TB3 drives the size of the block, and the edges not required for contact with the chip are designed as heat sinks with a fin spacing optimised for natural convection to add some more cooling capacity.

I'm pretty confident that this would solve the thermal issues - initial feedback from a manufacturer tells me that this would be a rather expensive solution though. I'm currently in my second round of value engineering with them to make the features more efficient for machining; an initial design had the vented heat sink fins at 1mm spacing, requiring Electrical Discharge Machining at prohibitive cost - USD 260 for the heat sink alone (!). The iteration shown here is version 2 and has a larger feature spacing, aiming to allow for the use of a standard 3-axis CNC mill which hopefully will bring the cost down significantly.

Looking at @Fitchew 's and @Valantar 's posts above I consider a hybrid using the chipset block above and an OTS heatsink from Alibaba - wouldn't look as pretty but certainly come cheaper! Let's see what the next quotation from the CNC shop brings...

Last edited:

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
That's really-really cool project! What you think about using a new RTX3080FE card in this project? Sorry for my bad english.
I think about it a lot ;)
The FE is indeed super interesting as shorter than the reference layout PCBs. I’m waiting to see what EKWB is cooking up for the FE - the images currently circulating on the web are not really helpful re dimensions. The Bykski water block is confirmed to be too thick for my build, and by the looks of it, the Corsair HydroX is a 2-slot package. I hope EK is coming up with a block of the same thickness as for the 2080s. In the meanwhile I’ll have to check how to tuck away that 12pin socket- if it works out, the PCB might just be short enough to allow for squeezing in a Noctua A14x25 in stead of my ultra slim fan- the delta in air flow should provide the cooling headroom I’d need for an upgrade.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I reckon if you were determined you could desolder the connector and move it. Or worst case I guess just snip the legs and make it into an extension.

Reactions: petricor

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
For the chipset cooling... Why don't you just buy a B550 board that doesn't require a fan? I imagine at this point that'd be cheaper than custom milling some heatpipe that takes up lots of space in the case + you could sell the current board...

Reactions: petricor

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
For the chipset cooling... Why don't you just buy a B550 board that doesn't require a fan? I imagine at this point that'd be cheaper than custom milling some heatpipe that takes up lots of space in the case + you could sell the current board...
Interesting thought indeed... would probably have to throw away my cpu block though as being an intel form factor (the phantom gaming itx/tb3 has an exotic amd/intel hybrid layout) and forget about thunderbolt- that said, didn’t use it yet...

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Interesting thought indeed... would probably have to throw away my cpu block though as being an intel form factor (the phantom gaming itx/tb3 has an exotic amd/intel hybrid layout) and forget about thunderbolt- that said, didn’t use it yet...

What are the options for CPU blocks with side ports currently? Alphacool 1U?

Reactions: mknrls and petricor

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Couldnt you just include the NB into the loop with something like this
it has G1/4 fittings but you could get some converter if the height allows it.
Generally a valid option - that said, I’d rather keep any potential headroom in my water loop (still amazed that it didn’t boil off in the first place!) for upgrades down the line - so ambition is to solve this just using air

Reactions: FreshGnar