S4 transplant - Redux

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Collecting parts but will be moving from my L2 (EDIT: i7 3770K & 2x8GB G Skills on P8Z77-I Deluxe, 2x840 Pro SSDs, Galaxy 750 Ti LP) to an S4 after coming back from holidays. Bought a 32" HP Envy monitor and the S4 will fit nicely I think underneath. The mix of connectors on this monitor is 2xHDMI and 1x DisplayPort so got a short 1ft DP cable and a stainless vandal switch in, should look good on black. Resting place behind keyboard should clean up desktop and wiring, L2 was too thick for that space.

Got in the ITX30 heatsink from Korea off ebay, damn this thing is small. Probably mount it in the L2 first to get a bit of a comparison to my AXP-100. Also dug out long bracket for my Galaxy 750 Ti LP card will mount Dell brick 7.4mm connector in VGA spot on bracket for the time being.

Looking at upgrading GPU card as it does not have a DP connector and other 2 sources I use (OTA Tuner, and work laptop only have HDMI) though may get adapter as I wait for GPU refreshes. Still have a 250W HD-Plex if I get something like a GTX960, though the wiring could use some shortening and sleeving or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Timing may be moving up as NFC shipped my case wasn't expecting shipping til 26th, should get here quick on the West Coast.

Edit: Damn, shoulda looked at the tracking, not in time before I leave for the holidays.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Neat, I'll follow this! The Monitor has a solid stand, where are you going to route the cables? You could drill a hole into the plexi, that would be pretty awesome.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Neat, I'll follow this! The Monitor has a solid stand, where are you going to route the cables? You could drill a hole into the plexi, that would be pretty awesome.

Cable should go cleanly straight up to monitor from the back, it's all open. EDIT: Added pic with 1 ft DP cable(tip to tip)

Just got this Startech HDMI -> Displayport adapter in, powered by a USB port works awesome as an interim solution to the lack of interface options on my GPU, love it when gear plugs in and just works without any dicking around. Word is new Pascal chips are already in latest Nvidia drivers so hopefully 750Ti replacement is not too far away.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Timing may be moving up as NFC shipped my case wasn't expecting shipping til 26th, should get here quick on the West Coast.

Edit: Damn, shoulda looked at the tracking, not in time before I leave for the holidays.

Sorry! I have NO idea why west coast orders still have so much time left...many people on the east coast has received their packages so far.

Logistics, yo.

I have butterflies in my stomach from seeing people start on S4 Mini build threads. I hope I delivered...

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Sorry! I have NO idea why west coast orders still have so much time left...many people on the east coast has received their packages so far.

Logistics, yo.

I have butterflies in my stomach from seeing people start on S4 Mini build threads. I hope I delivered...

No problem, I wasn't even expecting to get it in time anyway and I'll be on the east coast when it does arrive.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Stevo, can you email me with your order info? I think you might need to sign for the box--not sure. It did require delivery confirmation and if you can't sign for it I may need to alert the carrier.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Stevo, can you email me with your order info? I think you might need to sign for the box--not sure. It did require delivery confirmation and if you can't sign for it I may need to alert the carrier.

No worries, it's all handled.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Almost didn't make it back from the east coast yesterday, but got back in time to open up the S4 delivery and just mock-up to its final resting place(with vandal switch I purchased) and it fits perfect! Just needs something for feet/ventilation but otherwise looks like it'll work awesome.

Fit and finish seem excellent so far as was the packing, kudos to Josh on a job well done. Nice heft to it also. Just need to watch his build video for some assembly pointers.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nice fit under the screen, it matches well with the round silver button resembling the HP logo and the aluminium faceplate matching the matte paint on the screen bezel.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What a great fit! Please share your build experiences once you're done, it's very interesting to see how people adapt the S4 Mini and what sorts of issues they run into. Are you planning to turn it upside down and lift it with feet for a little bit cleaner look or did I misunderstand that?

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Sweet, exciting to see these S4 Mini builds happening!

Thanks, yeah hope to see more myself.

Nice fit under the screen, it matches well with the round silver button resembling the HP logo and the aluminium faceplate matching the matte paint on the screen bezel.

Yep, once I got the measurements it was a slam dunk.

What a great fit! Please share your build experiences once you're done, it's very interesting to see how people adapt the S4 Mini and what sorts of issues they run into. Are you planning to turn it upside down and lift it with feet for a little bit cleaner look or did I misunderstand that?

Sure will, it may be next week with the new year and all but i want to knock it out all at once. The orientation should stay like this as the GPU lines up better with the video inputs, but still need to look around for something to use for feet. It'll be lifted more in front as the base slopes up.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Just a little progress, got around to putting the ITX30 in, rebooted into Windows and ran P95 seemed to be holding 90C though only ran it for 10 minutes or so should improve when it eventually is laying flat, amazingly quiet even at the max 2700RPM. The orientation isn't the best according to Noctua website, this is worst for this type of cooler with pipes at top but only one that would work. This cooler is so low it was hitting caps and whatnot in all other orientations.

Edit: Forgot to mention the CPU is OC'd to 4.1GHz

Edit2: To test the Noctua conjecture about HSF orientation, I laid the whole case down so the HSF was in the prime orientation and watched the psensor hardware monitor graph, here it is from a screen shot below. I was just web surfing the whole time. Change wasn't as dramatic as it looks due to scale. Need to do a more controlled test running something like P95.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and jØrd

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Working on something for feet, need longer in front. Found these automotive bumpers(door or hood for a Ford) in a hardware store, lock into the slots but not extremely secure as they're meant for hole but maybe good enough for what I need. Can't be seen from the front which I like also.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Another great idea on the feet! Do they clear after trimming? This one might be inexpensive and easy enough to consider bundling if it works.

I don't think I'll need to trim as they are past the mobo and don't come up that far. I need to find a thin washer to make it so they don't pop out as easy which would require going through both the case and washer but they are more like hard rubber than silicone so not as much stretch but there does appear to be enough. I need to go back and get some shorter ones for the rear also though I may put something on the stand instead.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
The unit can be leveled perfectly with smaller ones in back, plan is to use these thin fiber washers to lock in place, maybe some Sharpie for color match. May grab an EVGA 750 Ti card SC version is down to $99 with rebate, it does what I need right now. Probably will use the Prolimatech 140 above mobo should be plenty of room and it spins down real low, like 400 RPM with ULNA.

Reactions: Josh | NFC