S4 Mini Classic #77 - Sputnik

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Finally getting my hands on one of these badboys! :)

First off, this has been in the works for this entire year. I've purchased bits and pieces from our members here and I'm very pleased to finally start the log. I'll be starting with a tease though, since the case is on its way.

22mm Anti-Vandal Switch
This was actually a fairly painless mod! Used a step-bit set that I'd bought around a year ago for a different mod, but the 7/8ths section was close enough to be usable. The next step up chamfered the hole, but I cut away a little too much with that. Thankfully it doesn't show.

Bezel Observations
This thing is beautiful! I feel bad for maiming it. Sorry @Josh | NFC! There were a few things I wasn't expecting, but I'm deeply satisfied with the end result. So, without further ado:

That edge there is sharp! Like, don't wear nice leather gloves when handling.

I really like the rough finish on the sides. I considered sanding it down, but I think I'll leave it. What's that switch?

Ah! Depth of Field Adjustment!

RGB! Sorry @iFreilicht, I'm still waiting on Iris 22.

That's all for now! :)

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Cool!

What are you using for a controller? Or am I getting too far ahead?

I have a source for a really nice RGB switch that I want to use until SOMEONE we all know and love finishes theirs...but I need something fairly simple and compact for my customers.
I'm using an Arduino Micro that I already had on-hand :) Had it doing a little light show a bit ago, now I'm playing with ways to control brightness while maintaining color. Performance PCs does offer an RGB Controller to go along with it, but I was worried about how much space that would take. Turns out it would probably fit just fine, I simply hadn't realized the way it hooks up to the switch (links are for convenience, non-referral). I'm sure it would fit even better with a 16mm switch.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It has arrived! :) I had to enlarge the internal hole by hand with a step bit and a multi-grip, but that's fine. I just don't have a drill at my apartment (prior mod was done at my parents' house). Going to clean up the frame and vacuum the shavings up before taking pictures.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Arrival Update: It's in One Piece!

Meh, I did my best but my old phone (with a much better image quality) finally went kaput. So I've done everything in my power to make due with 5 megapixels. This is just a gallery of test fits, and I'm planning to repaint the side panels to go better with the bezel. The button illumination is unfortunately difficult for my camera to pick up so I'll tackle that once I have access to a DSLR.

Original Configuration:

Thanks @Kmpkt!
That's all I've got for now, still need to order a few things :)