S4#82

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Soon.

So I just finished my transplant from my old chassis to my new S4 and I couldn't be happier! Huge round of applause to Josh, This chassis is absolutely stunning. I love the orange, The attention to detail and solid build quality. Was an absolute pleasure to pull apart and throw my components into.

I immediately set upon removing the big aluminum wrap around from the chassis, I'm sure many will chastise me for this decision, But I honestly prefer it with it off. Yes, I have a few extra holes but It's not something that phases me in the slightest.

This is where I'm at, At the moment. I actually forgot that I had this on the way and have hence completely neglected to order the things I was going to need. As you can see, My Cryorig C7 is too big and I couldn't get the lid on. It's currently running a i3 6100, Sporting 16gb of Dance-Dance Revolution 4 2133mhz Sticks from Corsair, LP of course. I habe a 256GB Samsung 950 pro Installed along with my 750ti from MSI. All powered from my HDPlex 160w and a 150w Alienware powerbrick.

The To-Do List:
- New GPU. I'm not sure what I'm set on yet. Had a GTX 1060 in mind, Given it's crazy performance and low TDP of 120w, It's a serious contender. My only requirement is to play No man's sky at 60fps@1080p. I've seen the RX460's performance, If I could get a reference card that runs at the 75w from the pcie, then I may consider something like that. However I'm open to opinion (The 1060 itx is sold out in aus!)

- CPU Cooler. I need to swap this bad boy out with a noctua nh l9. I have ordered one.

- PSU. Depending on my GPU choice, I'm either going to upgrade to the HDPlex 250w or keep my current HDPlex 160w. Given that my CPU has a max TDP of 51w, I have approximately 111w left for a GPU. That rules out my 1060, But I'm undecided at the moment. Hoping that AMD's RX460 can hold up to my needs!

Other than that, I just need to Dye my CPU cables, Get a plate made to cover the hole in the front of my chassis amd them I'd be happy :)

Last edited:

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015

This arrived today! The swaps done and the CPU side of my build is completed! I ran it through prime for 30 minutes and didn't see temps get over 60 degrees with the side panel on. Nor did I hear any noise from it, So pretty happy with Noctua!

My next dilemma is my GPU. It's so loud, Uncomfortably loud. I'm unsure on what to obtain. Obviously ITX GPU's and silence is a hard push but there has to be something out there that i can get a bit more power out of and some silence hahah.

Considering a GTX 960 at the moment, Given that it is pretty cheap at the moment and from what I've read, Goes fairly well at 1080p.

The alternatives are the RX 460/470 (hoping for a reference 460 or itx 470) or I go all out on a 1060 when they come back in stock in AUS. Would love to hear some input on the ideal 1080p card, thanks guys!

Reactions: Soul_Est

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thank you for posting! It is super fun to see where some of these end up...really makes my day :D

<3

BTW the wrap-around bezel costs about $60--you might be able to resell it to a modder :D.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to make the front more interesting without the bezel...but I really need that flat part flat to make good contact with the HDPLEX to drop heat, and that cutout is for vent plate options if I ever have the time to offer bezel mods.

What do you think?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Honestly if you run No Man's Sky with VSync at 60 Hz, odds are it will consume significantly less than the 120W the card peaks at. I wouldn't write it off unless the game is a hog on resources. Failing that, you can always manually underclock to keep under your wattage limit.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Thank you for posting! It is super fun to see where some of these end up...really makes my day :D

<3

BTW the wrap-around bezel costs about $60--you might be able to resell it to a modder :D.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to make the front more interesting without the bezel...but I really need that flat part flat to make good contact with the HDPLEX to drop heat, and that cutout is for vent plate options if I ever have the time to offer bezel mods.

What do you think?

No problems Josh, I'm loving the case and it's a pleasure showing it off. If anyone wants a wrap around, then I have one hahah!

I can't say much in the dropping heat issue, But I personally would love to see the angled slots wrap around the front and flow over the back (side). Maybe leave a row or two out for mounting PSU's. I really dig the form factor of the chassis without the wrap around, It's tiny and looks so clean and elegant (despite the big hole upfront). You could even dabble with some I/O up the top where the large cut-out is?

Honestly if you run No Man's Sky with VSync at 60 Hz, odds are it will consume significantly less than the 120W the card peaks at. I wouldn't write it off unless the game is a hog on resources. Failing that, you can always manually underclock to keep under your wattage limit.

So perhaps I run the 1060 with a fps cap of 60fps, and that should stay below the power restriction? It's a thought! I would honestly love it if the RX460 was just that tiny bit more impressive. Pcie powered and a capable 1080 card, that would be the dream. If the 960 can play no mans sky at high @ 60fps, then I'll most likely settle on that and save a few hundred dollars.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Heck, I'll buy it off of you — I want a spare 'cause I'm thinking of drilling mine and don't wanna irretrievably fuck it up.

If you where serious, DM me and we'll organise something.

As for the build, An EVGA GTX 1060 SC 3GB was ordered today for my build, so progress shall finally happen :) (It helps that I'm finally off holidays and can afford it hahaha)

With my i3, Does anyone know how to tune down the power consumption? I assume I can turn off the Intel hd graphics and a few other things, but I'm not entirely sure what to be tweaking in the bios. Thank for the help!

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Easiest is undervolting.
Best way to go about is like with overclocking but in reverse.
Lower the Core voltage step by step and stressing the CPU between changes until it isn't stable anymore. Then go up 1 or more steps until you feel it is stable/safe for you day to day use.
But a Core i3 doesn't run that hot to begin with right?

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I'm not concerned with heat, it's the power I'm trying to reduce. I'll fiddle with it tonight and see what I can come up with.

Edit: Bit the bullet and managed to get a 6600T for 250 AUD, So within the next two weeks I will have me 1060 and my 6600T, The perfect build for this chassis if you ask me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hardcore_gamer

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
For the foreseeable future I've pulled the pin on SFF. Just had my 230w power brick go up in smoke. Fortunately I was there to pull the plug out before any damage had occurred. It could have been the power brick or just sheer bad luck, But that has put me off indefinitely.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I'm not sure about the case yet, I really do love it but at the same time I'm not going to dabble with power bricks ever again. I'll sleep on it before I decide.

I honestly don't know. I'll crack it open and investigate once I know I'm getting a refund.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
Weird things, that setup ought to run fine with a 230W brick, if similar & more powerful systems run fine with a pico and the supplied 192W brick.
Im currently pondering on moving to a pico setup, but dunno my hdplex 250 + voodoo 350W brick are a bulletproof combo. After hours of gaming the brick isn't even warm to touch...it is a bulky mofo tho. :)

Hope you get it sorted out.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I would also note that my experience with powerbricks is bad. The only reason NFC systems exists today is because of the Adaptec STD-12160 (192w brick)--that changed my mind completely. It is built like a dump truck axle and of the literally hundreds I have sold I have never ever had a customer with a bad one.

I used to deploy them in corp environments where I was responsible to maintain the machines that ran 24/7 off them (one customer had 175 units). I ended up being able to stay in business because I never had to replace one. The power brick failure for the units they had used before I moved them to Adaptec was insanely high.

The Dell 330w seems to be a tough unit, but there are FOUR models of it, and I haven't had the opportunity to sell a ton of them to one customer to get any good MTBF info.

But if you are going 12v...I don't think you have a serious choice--pick yourself up an STD. ;)

Some people collect stamps, I collect power bricks.

Peace!

*edit*

I still have my FIRST adaptec I ordered back in 2009...it has been my torture test brick. It still works amazing and peaks without crashing, although it now buzzes. I'm keeping it around and using it just to see how long it works. ;D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Or a sticker for the case's packaging, the stuff where the most amazing features are promised !

The only reason NFC systems exists today is because of the Adaptec STD-12160 (192w brick)--that changed my mind completely. It is built like a dump truck axle and of the literally hundreds I have sold I have never ever had a customer with a bad one.
I think your products, determination and responsibility are more credit towards your company's existence than 3rd party hardware not failing. They just saved your ass :p

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I had a flextronics 230w 19v adapter running my 160HD plex. I have a 250hd plex on the way sadly.

I bought a sfx psu, I'm going to transition to my project matx for the time being. I'll probably get rid of my 6600T at some points as well as my S4. I may wait for kabylake? Then Do a proper Matt build again.

Thanks to all the support, but I just can't afford to have something like this happen again. I do love to tinker but that fact that my house could have burned down if I wasn't present, has deterred me entirely

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
Sorry to hear that. Luckily you were there to catch it. What kind of load did the power brick see when it failed?