AMD 5600X
ASUS B550-i

Mobo Flashed to latest FW.

As per OptimumTech video:

Inside "Advanced"
  • PBO - Advanced
  • PBO Limits - Motherboard
  • PBO Scalar - 10X
  • Curve Optimizer - negative 30 (all cores)
  • Max Boost Clock Override - 200 MHz
  • Thermal Throttle Limit - 90°C (I've never actually reached 90, even with the default 95)
AI Suite 3 is reporting the following:

Thermal "idle"

CPU46C
Motherboard40C
CPU Package51C
Chipset72C

4625.0Mhz with a 1.296V.

I noticed that the AI Tweaker in the BIOS, the PBO sub-menu was all set to AUTO. None of the known instructions from youtube or credit mention touch this, however my Voltage is still roughly 1.29V, and my CPU itself range from 46-50c idled

I have verified that HWinfo64 v7.04 also stating this.

Am i doing this right?
Thanks

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
I have a feeling that some BIOS settings nullify each other. To be sure, try saving your current bios settings to a profile, then resetting to default and doing some sort of benchmark to note your average effective clockspeed. Afterwards only apply those changes that you listed above and run the same bench to see if the average effective clockspeed is increased. I would be surprised if you can run -30 on all cores while also using +200MHz offset. My 5600x will crash hard if I do this.
When/if you are convinced that PBO+ is actually active, and as I expect -30 all core won't work, then you should do "per core" optimization. I use Prime95 to see which core fails, and then dial that one back a little until fully stable.

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
Oh and you would also benefit from manually changing TDC/EDC/PPT, they should all be close to what they actually draw at load.. I.e. when tuned they should hover close to 100% during all core load.

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
-30 all core and +200 is going to be a hard sell on any CPU. You are telling the CPU to run less voltage, while trying to boost 200 mhz over stock boost. In what world does a CPU work with less voltage at a higher frequency?

As far as your voltage and temps at idle, It's fine. All the monitoring programs you have running are waking up the CPU Cores and causing them to boost. If they are awake and boosting, you aren't really at idle, even if it's 1% usage that you can visually see, it is actually boosting thousands of times every millisecond, something monitoring programs cant see.

I would test stability with something like CB20 or CB23 with those settings and see what the all core boost and temps are. For temp and voltage monitoring, use ryzen master.

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
I have a feeling that some BIOS settings nullify each other. To be sure, try saving your current bios settings to a profile, then resetting to default and doing some sort of benchmark to note your average effective clockspeed. Afterwards only apply those changes that you listed above and run the same bench to see if the average effective clockspeed is increased. I would be surprised if you can run -30 on all cores while also using +200MHz offset. My 5600x will crash hard if I do this.
When/if you are convinced that PBO+ is actually active, and as I expect -30 all core won't work, then you should do "per core" optimization. I use Prime95 to see which core fails, and then dial that one back a little until fully stable.
so far only when I play a particular game it goes ape and windows get botched - then I tried another one and it was rebooting after a cut scene...so that is when I restarted the tweaking however I've been observing that I don't see much of the differences and its not hard crashing so i don't know where to look

-30 all core and +200 is going to be a hard sell on any CPU. You are telling the CPU to run less voltage, while trying to boost 200 mhz over stock boost. In what world does a CPU work with less voltage at a higher frequency?

As far as your voltage and temps at idle, It's fine. All the monitoring programs you have running are waking up the CPU Cores and causing them to boost. If they are awake and boosting, you aren't really at idle, even if it's 1% usage that you can visually see, it is actually boosting thousands of times every millisecond, something monitoring programs cant see.

I would test stability with something like CB20 or CB23 with those settings and see what the all core boost and temps are. For temp and voltage monitoring, use ryzen master.
will do, i heard from other OC that Ryzen Master is not the best there was a version that didn't report correctly? or maybe article is too old.

do i still keep the boost at 200Mhz if i drop it at -15?

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
will do, i heard from other OC that Ryzen Master is not the best there was a version that didn't report correctly? or maybe article is too old.

do i still keep the boost at 200Mhz if i drop it at -15?
The newest ryzen master should be good. You can try the boost at -15. But I'm willing to bet you wont see much difference in clock speed with +200 vs +0. Some CPU's just can't get that high.

Last edited:

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
You can optimize for all-core performance or single core:
1. Single core: If you keep the +200MHz then you can't use the high curve offsets without crashing, you will have to dial offsets down to maybe -10(+/-) and thus will get worse all-core performance.
2. Multi-core: Alternately you can go back to +0MHz and use higher curve offset values. This will give you higher average effective clockspeeds i.e. better all-core performance, but of course lower peak speed.
3. Use CB23 or 3Dmark to validate whether you actually gained performance. CB23 is nice because you can see both single-core and all-core. And note that you will typically fail single-core rather than all-core, so test both each time.
4. Both of the above will benefit hugely if you optimize per-core offsets! Again, using Prime95 will show you which core is failing. That way you can adjust offsets for each core until none are failing. (remember 2x threads per core, so #1 and #2 are core 1, #3 and #4 are core 2 etc..)
5. Finally, when you have the CPU optimized (and reliably stable), you should look at ram speeds/timings as well, which will also give significant boost in gaming performance (and 3Dmark scores.)

Fingers crossed, I hope you have stamina to do all this. It was worth it for me 🙃

Reactions: beerbuddha

Waxy

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 30, 2021
I've been a lurker on the forums for a while now, but saw your issue that was similar to mine so decided to make an account.

I bought an Asus b550-i after I had to send my Gigabyte x570 in for RMA. I'm using a 5600x as well, tried undervolting and had issues as well.

Just use the Ryzen Master app and undervolt from there. Worked for me.

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
I have the following items in a thorzone mjolnir case

Corsair H60
AMD 5600X
ASUS B550-i

Mobo Flashed to latest FW.

As per OptimumTech video:

Inside "Advanced"
  • PBO - Advanced
  • PBO Limits - Motherboard
  • PBO Scalar - 10X
  • Curve Optimizer - negative 30 (all cores)
  • Max Boost Clock Override - 200 MHz
  • Thermal Throttle Limit - 90°C (I've never actually reached 90, even with the default 95)
AI Suite 3 is reporting the following:

Thermal "idle"

CPU46C
Motherboard40C
CPU Package51C
Chipset72C

4625.0Mhz with a 1.296V.

I noticed that the AI Tweaker in the BIOS, the PBO sub-menu was all set to AUTO. None of the known instructions from youtube or credit mention touch this, however my Voltage is still roughly 1.29V, and my CPU itself range from 46-50c idled

I have verified that HWinfo64 v7.04 also stating this.

Am i doing this right?
Thanks
An offset of -30 on all cores with 10X and 200+ MHz override enabled? That is pretty much impossible for any Ryzen 5000 series CPU.

I have a Gigabyte B550i Aorux Pro AX board with a 5600x, and these are my settings:

PBO - Advanced
PBO Limits - Disabled
PBO Scalar - 0x
Curve Optimizer - 2 fastest cores at -25 offset, all other cores at -28.
Max Boost Clock Override - 0
Thermal Throttle - Haven't set this

Basically I have a Noctua L9 am4 cooler cooling the 5600x in a Sentry 2.0 case. Basically, these settings allows me to run the 5600x in a stock-ish condition, which lowers voltage, while allowing for slightly higher all-core frequencies in various workloads (basically ideal for a case like the Sentry 2.0). I max out at temperatures of 84 degrees C in Cinebench R23, in Prime95, its basically 86-87 at max.

I've ran 3D Mark Timespy, CB R20, CB R23, Blender, Prime95, etc... No crashes after the F13x series BIOS releases.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
-30 all on cores seems like a good stretch for many CPUs really.

In my case, the Asus B550I isn't able to support a lower CO than my MSI B550I for some reason that I am unsure of, for my 5800X.

MSI B550I i was able to run CO at -15 for best two cores, -25 for the others without any issues, whereas the ASUS B550I I could only get it to -10 for best two cores, -20 for the others. Minimal difference really, come to think about it.

Manually setting PPT, EDC and TDC will probably be more ideal.