RVZ01 build thoughts?

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I'd like to have an ITX AM4 Ryzen build. I was considering the Node 202, but the RVZ01 advertizes 83mm cooler height versus the Node202's 56mm. Silverstone has other models RVZ02 and o3, but I think they were pretty spot on with aesthetic the first time even if I think the node202 looks a little better.

Another thing is I'd prefer SFX-L over SFX for better cooling and acoustics. And because Silverstone makes the only SFX-L PSUs I know of this is starting to look like a sweet brand-themed build for AMD+Silverstone.

Apparently they also have a Bottom-Up CPU cooler the NT06-Pro. I've never heard of it, but they do seem to offer AM4 mounting equipment. This cooler looks pretty good, but what do you think? I might not even need it though if the Wraith Spire lives up to its good reputation I've been hearing for it.

I wonder what kind of RAM though.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
My very own 2c. Don't frame yourself in the brand-themed thing. Building a SFF pc it is complicated already as it is :)

I've built a steambox in a RVZ01-E. I find it to have a decent internal config. I've put a "huge" thermaltake CPU cooler without fan and I'm using the chassis fan to cool the CPU. I've seen various reviews of the NT06-PRO and they basically say that "it's okay", but like I said I believe you have better alternatives.

If acoustics is an issue for you, remember that Corsair has some semi-passive SFX PSU. I have the 450W one and it's really nice (even though it heats up quite a bit).

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
My very own 2c. Don't frame yourself in the brand-themed thing. Building a SFF pc it is complicated already as it is :)

I've built a steambox in a RVZ01-E. I find it to have a decent internal config. I've put a "huge" thermaltake CPU cooler without fan and I'm using the chassis fan to cool the CPU. I've seen various reviews of the NT06-PRO and they basically say that "it's okay", but like I said I believe you have better alternatives.

If acoustics is an issue for you, remember that Corsair has some semi-passive SFX PSU. I have the 450W one and it's really nice (even though it heats up quite a bit).
Okay, I guess since I'm looking for a window-less system brand theme isn't worth it. Good call.

I am still debating whether the Node 202's smaller footprint and IMO better aesthetics are worth having to use a smaller cooler.

I could even keep saving for a Zaber sentry and do an awesome low-power system, but it makes me cringe so hard the idea of buying a case worth more than any GPU or CPU I've ever bought.

I guess I just don't know what I want out of my next build. I've been using the same CPU+platform for about 5 years now and change would be refreshing.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Okay, I guess since I'm looking for a window-less system brand theme isn't worth it. Good call.

I am still debating whether the Node 202's smaller footprint and IMO better aesthetics are worth having to use a smaller cooler.

I could even keep saving for a Zaber sentry and do an awesome low-power system, but it makes me cringe so hard the idea of buying a case worth more than any GPU or CPU I've ever bought.

I guess I just don't know what I want out of my next build. I've been using the same CPU+platform for about 5 years now and change would be refreshing.
The cryorig C7 fits in the node 202 and it is a very functional cooler for it's size. Id go with the node 202 over ss anyday

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
The C7 is good, but it depends on how high @JosephEK wants to OC/ if at all.

In my case I am adament about High FPS gaming, so squezing as many free mhz from the CPU and Memory is no-compromise area.
I am gonna get a sugo sg13 for myself, soft mod it so the sfx psu is in the front.
And put a beefy top down cooler on the cpu.

After Vega comes out I will probably buy a gtx1080ti mini from Zotac and fit that in, at which point I will need to design a smaller case for it.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017

In my case I am adament about High FPS gaming, so squezing as many free mhz from the CPU and Memory is no-compromise area.
I am gonna get a sugo sg13 for myself, soft mod it so the sfx psu is in the front.

After Vega comes out I will probably buy a gtx1080ti mini from Zotac and fit that in, at which point I will need to design a smaller case for it.
I don't overclock because I've never really seen the purpose. I pull high fps in all the games I play already regardless so no point really for me

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017

One question about the C7: Is that fan replaceable? It doesn't look very standard to me which is something I do care about for being able to make quick repairs to my system.

I don't overclock, but I do like to game and stuff and I just dunno if a Wraith Stealth (which is ~53.4mm tall according to AMD and contains no copper from the looks of it) is enough keep me cool in that confined space during a prolonged gaming session.

As for Overclocking I agree with @Q1NN1NG that overclocking is a waste of time.

I wish there was something that was purely copper and that was omni-directional because that's what comes to mind when I think about cooling philosophy for something low-profile like this without directional air-flow.

Too bad I don't think I can use the pile of decent Intel Stock coolers I've got on this, but I'm fairly convinced I'm going with Ryzen 3 this time. Intel's anti-consumer practices have really put me off lately like what they're doing to the Pentium G4560 because it was cannibalizing their i3 sales. That's just messed up. Then there's the bad TIM.

Maybe Scythe Kozuti? It pushes air up and out of the case, but IDK if it works with AM4.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Not sure about the c7, but I do not think it is changable without minor hacking. I mean you could change it to a slim noctua fan but it would be taller.
There is a pure copper version of the c7 coming out. and other cryorigs.

Wraith stealth is 70mm tall (54mm is just the heatsink) .

Overclocking usefullness. Let me give you my example
I had a stock 2500k 3.3ghz, gtx 970 and I play Overwatch at 1440p on a 165hz monitor.
I took the settings as low as possible. But I was only getting 90 fps avg.
I overclock to 4.4ghz and I went to 150 avg but with lots of drops to 90-110
I upgraded my DDR3 from 1333mhz to 2133mhz and my avg fps went to 165, and my 1% 0.1% lows are 155 144.

Check this out https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/6m47ti/success_big_shuriken_2_fitted_to_an_am4_socket/

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Not sure about the c7, but I do not think it is changable without minor hacking. I mean you could change it to a slim noctua fan but it would be taller.
There is a pure copper version of the c7 coming out. and other cryorigs.

Wraith stealth is 70mm tall (54mm is just the heatsink) .

Overclocking usefullness. Let me give you my example
I had a stock 2500k 3.3ghz, gtx 970 and I play Overwatch at 1440p on a 165hz monitor.
I took the settings as low as possible. But I was only getting 90 fps avg.
I overclock to 4.4ghz and I went to 150 avg but with lots of drops to 90-110
I upgraded my DDR3 from 1333mhz to 2133mhz and my avg fps went to 165, and my 1% 0.1% lows are 155 144.

Check this out https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/6m47ti/success_big_shuriken_2_fitted_to_an_am4_socket/
Pure copper C7 you say? I'm interested.

Oh that's pretty tall are you sure? I got my info from this post here:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/wraith-stealth-height.1952/
On there one person posted "5cm from top of fan to bottom of heatsink" prior to the official AMD response. That same 5cm reply also noted that the spire was 7cm.

Maybe that's why I don't find usefulness in overclocking, I'm only running a 75hz 1080p monitor. The most demanding game I play regularly is Planetside 2 which I can play 60-100FPS.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Yeah I am sure it is 70mm, you can go to 3d models in the forum and find the wraith spire, they mentions it is 70mm, and lots of other people on reddit also measured it for 70mm

Yeah, overclocking the cpu becomes important when you deal with high fps gaming/ vr gaming.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah I am sure it is 70mm, you can go to 3d models in the forum and find the wraith spire, they mentions it is 70mm, and lots of other people on reddit also measured it for 70mm

Yeah, overclocking the cpu becomes important when you deal with high fps gaming/ vr gaming.
Wait are we on the same page? I'm talking about the Wraith Stealth, not Spire.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
OMG sorry........ I didn't 2+2 together. I was talking about spire for R5 and R7, but you wanted R3 which comes with stealth..........

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
OMG sorry........ I didn't 2+2 together. I was talking about spire for R5 and R7, but you wanted R3 which comes with stealth..........
Okay that's alright I was just looking at photos and going to myself "That's not 7cm... is it?"

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Okay that's alright I was just looking at photos and going to myself "That's not 7cm... is it?"
Sorry I haven't seen any data on the wraith stealth yet but there was a post from AMD which said the height of each cooler including wraith Max but the height wasn't accurate.

All I can say is that the Spire is 70 mm tall and since the stealth looks smaller it should be smaller

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Okayokayokay so... I just got an idea:

The RVZ01 has 83mm of CPU cooler clearance. Personally the idea of coolers that blow hot air down onto the motherboard kind of annoys me. Now with 83mm of clearance I could get the NH-L12 which blows bottom-up ooooor I've got an old HP 6005 Compaq pro with this cooler:

It's about 7.5-8 cm tall which is perfect, all I would need to do is slap an 80mm fan to the side of it and whalla! the shortest tower-cooler ever!

Verb

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 21, 2017
Can I use Wraith Stealth Cooler for Ryzen 1700 ?? I know it is for 1400, but does iworks for 1700 if not overclock??
Wait are we on the same page? I'm talking about the Wraith Stealth, not Spire.
Can I use Wraith Stealth Cooler for Ryzen 1700 ?? I know it is for 1400, but does it fits and works with 1700 on Biostar X370 mini ITX motherboard if not overclocked??

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
All stock coolers will fit on any matching board, its part of the certification. However, I wouldn't put the Stealth on a 95w processor, it's too weak and you'll be running at loud fan speeds

Reactions: JosephEK

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Wraith MAX is gonna be available to buy soon enough it seems. Can't confirm but based on other posts it is 85mm tall?
2mm over the limit too much?

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
All stock coolers will fit on any matching board, its part of the certification. However, I wouldn't put the Stealth on a 95w processor, it's too weak and you'll be running at loud fan speeds
The thing with the stealth is I could use it in something like the Node 202, but according to this recent review of the Cryorig Taku the RVZ01-E has the best thermal performance for both CPU and GPU of all the SFF/low profile cases tested.