• Hey Guest, save 20% on our entire merchandise range during the month of December! Use promo code MAKEITSMOL at Our Merchandise Store!

RTX 3060Ti Aero alternative? Meet the DIY PALIT StormX 3060Ti ITX Edition

slowboytommy

Efficiency Noob
Mar 31, 2022
Hey @ChinStrap : Could you please advise if it was the one below:

Images on Reddit:
  1. What were the final dimensions after the mod?
Any issues/concerns in usage?

I'm just about to buy this one once I hear back from you :) really excited.
Late reply but yes. I have the same card. I have not measured it, but it should be same dimensions as the Palit Non-Ti 3060 where the heatsink was from.

Another widely available card that might work is the PNY 3060Ti XLR8. It's not confirmed here, but the PCB look promising.

Reactions: nerdbit

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
FWIW, I did some research a while back which 3060 Ti cards are compatible with the StormX Heatsink:

- PNY XLR8
- Inno3D Twin X2
- KFA2 non-EX
- Palit Dual
- Gainward Ghost
- Manli
- Dell OEM
- Lenovo OEM
- Any RTX A4000 (PNY, Dell, Lenovo, HP)

I'm pretty sure there's even more. So feel free to add any from your experience.

Concerning the Fan-shroud for the StormX Heatsink: I've been working on a universal shroud that replaces the stock one and lets you attach two fans while still keeping the overall length <175mm. I printed two prototypes yesterday (2x80 and 92/80) and will hopefully have some time over the weekend to test. I'll keep you guys posted. If it works, I'll share the files so you can print them yourself if you want.

Last edited:

nerdbit

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 13, 2021
www.nerdbit.nz
Late reply but yes. I have the same card. I have not measured it, but it should be same dimensions as the Palit Non-Ti 3060 where the heatsink was from.

Another widely available card that might work is the PNY 3060Ti XLR8. It's not confirmed here, but the PCB look promising.
So, the DELL OEM 3060 ti should work with the coolers from Ali? Do I understand that correctly? 😀

nerdbit

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 13, 2021
www.nerdbit.nz
FWIW, I did some research a while back which cards are compatible with the StormX Heatsink:

- PNY XLR8
- Inno3D Twin X2
- KFA2 non-EX
- Palit Dual
- Gainward Ghost
- Manli
- Dell OEM
- Lenovo OEM
- Any RTX A4000 (PNY, Dell, Lenovo, HP)

I'm pretty sure there's even more. So feel free to add any from your experience.

Concerning the Fan-shroud for the StormX Heatsink: I've been working on a universal shroud that replaces the stock one and lets you attach two fans while still keeping the overall length <175mm. I printed two prototypes yesterday (2x80 and 92/80) and will hopefully have some time over the weekend to test. I'll keep you guys posted. If it works, I'll share the files so you can print them yourself if you want.
Wow! That is incredible, I'm lovin 🤓 this community now that I've finally officially joined it. I was intending to create a comprehensive list same as yours. So, would be great if we got this post pinned at some stage as makes it super easy for newcomers.

I like the idea of the universal shroud, as it does add another alternative to the StormX Heatsink currently available on Ali, but it also might soon run out and be out of stock forever. In the long run, a solution like this would be a lifesaver! Hence, thanks in advance, and good luck with the prototypes.

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
I like the idea of the universal shroud, as it does add another alternative to the StormX Heatsink currently available on Ali, but it also might soon run out and be out of stock forever. In the long run, a solution like this would be a lifesaver! Hence, thanks in advance, and good luck with the prototypes.
Thanks! Just to be clear: You will still need the StormX heatsink. I'll just replace the single fan shroud with a bracket to attach two fans of your choice and direct airflow onto the heatsink. It will almost certainly increase the thickness of the card though.

Reactions: nerdbit

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Sorry for the late reply: I bought my cooler off ebay, not Ali. It was listed as a “PNY/OEM Heatsink w/ Fan for 3060/3060TI”. My research was not professional level, I just used the stare and compare method. Things looked like they would line up, and the PCB shots I was able to find from the Dell confirmed it looked OEM. I took a shot and it worked out. Previous to the Dell, I was looking at the Zotac, as others here have used that model.

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
It's alive! World's smallest dual fan 3060 Ti ;-)

Using the Palit StormX Heatsink, a custom 3d printed shroud and two Akasa 80mm Slim fans.

Running the first tests and results look really promising:
Furmark (200W load, 15 minutes)
100% Fan speed: 67°C GPU / 79°C Hotspot
50% Fan speed: 79°C GPU / 92°C Hotspot
Stock fan curve peaks at ~75°C

I did repaste the GPU with Arctic MX-6 which also made the temps drop a good bit for sure.

Generally much lower noise level. However the card is a good 8mm thicker than with the stock shroud which may cause issues depending on the case. Interestingly, the shroud with 92/80mm fans performs slightly worse at a similar noise level.

I'll run some more tests and need to make some slight adjustments to the shroud, then I'll share the files so you guys can print it if you want.

Last edited: