Completed Revoccases RCC-NUC1 | NUC Dedicated Graphics Enclosure

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Ah, that is interesting! They've relieved a bottleneck somewhere. In most eGPU setups, we need to connect monitor to the video card in order to avoid a performance hit. So, on a Tiger Canyon NUC11 Pro, we can connect to the mobo video out and not suffer a performance drop? Very nice. Ergonomically, that opens up some options as well.

Sidenote ... Would you ever consider a console style version of this? Will happily fund, purchase and test that! It would be the perfect replacement for Little Mac 4.2L. Smaller and more powerful!

Yeah, seems it's running much better with Tiger Lake using the iGPU display output. I was very surprised that there is no significant performance drop any more.

I had the idea to make a console style case but I think with the NUC it would only make sense if using a LP GPU. Else you would loose the I/O either on the front or the back. And since the Xe iGPU on Tiger Lake i7 can almost beat a GTX1050Ti ...

If there is some interest I could start designing the DSS1 which would use the DeskMini A300 or X300 motherboard and an ITX sized GPU...

BTW, Little Mac looks pretty cool!

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Yeah, little Mac was a fun build! But, it's due for an update. Planning the next build soon!

As far as the console design, I imagined that the case would provide a small platform and lift the NUC slightly off the ground to route the M.2 cable in through the bottom. To the side would be a GPU. In my mind with no measurements, it would almost be a GPU gumstick with a raised platform for a NUC on one side.

I cross posted this case over to the eGPU forums, here. That is a good target audience for this eGPU chassis, and I expect they might be able to answer the question of why the NUC11 Pros motherboard video out doesn't have the same bottleneck of prior NUCs. Chatting with their forum admin to see if they can help explain.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Yeah, little Mac was a fun build! But, it's due for an update. Planning the next build soon!

As far as the console design, I imagined that the case would provide a small platform and lift the NUC slightly off the ground to route the M.2 cable in through the bottom. To the side would be a GPU. In my mind with no measurements, it would almost be a GPU gumstick with a raised platform for a NUC on one side.

I cross posted this case over to the eGPU forums, here. That is a good target audience for this eGPU chassis, and I expect they might be able to answer the question of why the NUC11 Pros motherboard video out doesn't have the same bottleneck of prior NUCs. Chatting with their forum admin to see if they can help explain.

Sounds doable, we could work on that project together if you like. Can you put together an simple draft of the layout / dimensions you have in mind?

Thanks for your cross post on the eGPU.io forums. Let's see if someone there had similar experiences like me. My guess is that Intel improved the interconnection between CPU, PCIe and iGPU and removed a bottleneck somewhere.

BTW, seems Thunderbolt eGPU performance was also improved with Intel 11th Gen:

Last edited:
Reactions: Runamok81

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
just an short update concerning PCIe 4.0 via M.2 ... (@Runamok81)

ADT-Link have updated their M.2 risers with "PCIe 4.0 compatible" cables. However, ADT also says that they cannot assure 100% it will actually run with PCIe 4.0 :\ my guess, as shorter the cable the better the chance that it could work...

in general, customer comments on TaoBao are very mixed for their "PCIe 4.0 compatible" risers and many people had to switch back to PCIe Gen 3 ...

Bild_2021-09-07_121642.png

since I do not own a PCIe 4.0 compatible graphics card, I cannot test those new risers but if someone wants to give it a try, here is the link to their official shop:

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
@REVOCCASES - I am in the same boat, friend. No _reasonable_ access to a modern PCIe 4.0 GPU. This GPU shortage is killing SFF innovation. How cool would it be to test an M.2 to PCie 4.0 x4 connection to see if doubling the bandwidth removes the eGPU bottleneck. So, sad nobody has tested this ... for Science!

Reactions: REVOCCASES