Prototype Revoccases RCC-NUC1 | NUC dedicated GPU BOX

REVOCCASES

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
If you are looking for something really small, the NUC is a good choice to start (IMHO). It can be equipped with everything you need and if you go for one with the i7 options it has a pretty good CPU performance. Personally I use my NUC as HTPC mainly to watch movies. However, sometimes I want to switch to a game without the need to turn on my bigger gaming rig. Well, the NUC's iGPU just can't handle most modern games at reasonable FPS/resolutions.

That is when the idea of the NUC GPU Box was born. Why not give the NUC a decent GPU Boost while maintaining the small footprint on your desk? Sure, you can connect a graphics dock via Thunderbolt, but then you`ll loose that port for other accessories and you`ll have another case on your desk. I wanted to try another approach and put the graphics card directly under the NUC and connecting it via PCIe to the internal M.2 port.

Prototype:

Advantages:
- Keep the NUCs small footprint
- Keep all Thunderbolt ports free to use (TB SSD with all your games)
- Choose your own favorite GPU
- Future proof: Just update your NUC and/or your GPU
- Slightly better performance compared to Thunderbolt eGPU

Disadvantages:
- You´ll loose the ability to use M.2 SSDs

Last edited:

elect

What's an ITX?
New User
May 4, 2020
Nuc 10i7fnk2 here (10th Gen, slim)

It's really a pity choosing only M.2, I'd love to buy something like this, but it should allow TB3 connection

Why don't offer both? Isn't TB3 better than M.2?

REVOCCASES

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Nuc 10i7fnk2 here (10th Gen, slim)

It's really a pity choosing only M.2, I'd love to buy something like this, but it should allow TB3 connection

Why don't offer both? Isn't TB3 better than M.2?
Mainly due to cost reasons but M.2 is also a bit faster. TB is better if you need to be flexible and use it for different applications but since this is specifically designed for NUCS I choose cost and speed over flexibility.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Editorial Staff
Gold Supporter
May 9, 2015
Oh wow, combining this with a fast NUC will be quite the pocket gamer PC ! Interesting project !

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Oh wow, combining this with a fast NUC will be quite the pocket gamer PC ! Interesting project !
Thanks. Yeah, the idea is to offer some cheaper alternative to the NUC9. Could imagine would also make a good small workstation for content creation / CAD.

Reactions: Phuncz

basal

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 17, 2020
This is amazing I really wanna do smth similar I have the nuc10. 6 cores.
CAN i use the ADT-LINK R43, PCIe3.0 x4 M.2 to PCIe Extension (with a stronger PSU to hook it up to 5700 xt ultra ((500W GPU))? becuase I read this extenstion can only handle up to 75w but in their website it says it can handle the vega 64???

REVOCCASES

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
This is amazing I really wanna do smth similar I have the nuc10. 6 cores.
CAN i use the ADT-LINK R43, PCIe3.0 x4 M.2 to PCIe Extension (with a stronger PSU to hook it up to 5700 xt ultra ((500W GPU))? becuase I read this extenstion can only handle up to 75w but in their website it says it can handle the vega 64???
Yes, if you buy the R43SG you just need a powerful PSU and nothing more to make it work. For my project I was using another version of the R43 though. You'll have to check, they offer different versions depending on your application.

REVOCCASES

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I had a little time to follow up on my niche project and started to build two prototype enclosures.

Now I am thinking which GPU I should get to test it with. I could get a factory sealed R9 NANO for 120,- or a GTX1660 for 180,- bucks. For testing thermals and power stuff the R9 would probably be a good choice. 🤔

PS: gthe design also works as a eGPU enclosure for other PCs / Notebooks over TB3. You just need to get a M.2 SSD to TB3 adapter like this:

Amazon product

Last edited:
Reactions: THUMPer

REVOCCASES

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Build log:

1) install fans, PSU, Riser and SSD

2) if you have one of the tall NUCs you can also re-use the drive cage of that one

3) connect all the cables to the NUC and fix it to the chassis (that is the most difficult part)

4) install your graphics card

5) assemble the cover and done

6) power it up and have fun

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
NUCs are crazy small. That eGPU box looks huge until you see how small the GPU inside is!

Great looking product.

REVOCCASES

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
NUCs are crazy small. That eGPU box looks huge until you see how small the GPU inside is!

Great looking product.
Yeah, if you only see the case from a photo you might think it's quite huge. But it's really tiny. Probably the smallest eGPU enclosure with internal PSU out there.

Still need to move the power button to the back. Looks kinda stupid although it's just 16mm.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Yeah, if you only see the case from a photo you might think it's quite huge. But it's really tiny. Probably the smallest eGPU enclosure with internal PSU out there.

Still need to move the power button to the back. Looks kinda stupid although it's just 16mm.
Max GPU dimensions? Didn't see it listed anywhere