Production RCC-BIG1 | vertical small footprint 13L SFF case | supports 300mm 2.5 Slot GPUs and NH-L12S

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
In my opinion the tests must be performed with proper hardware, in order to reach solid results. You may consider to redo the tests with newer hardware.

Of course we will, but I wanted to see where we are just yet and unfortunately the RTX2080S we ordered arrived DOA. So we`ll have to wait for the replacement first. Also, if we can keep the Gainward from throttling in our case compared to the RVZ01, we'll be on the right track.

I actually really liked the holed design. May I ask you if you are going to do any hardware repositioning or flipping with vented panel design?

Not sure, but I am still trying to keep the current position of the GPU. As a pro reason to keep it that way I found that the SSDs will keep well below 40C even when the GPU and SSDs are stressed. If I turn the GPU around, the back-plate of the GPU will be quite near to the SSDs and this can get really hot.

I also think that 3.5” HDDs are quite outdated. You may consider to provide only 2.5” SSD support since they are quite affordable and common nowadays. Personally more futuristic approach is to not deal with any of them. Together with new generation motherboards coming this year and more affordable M2 SSD options, hard disk storage feature will be completely shifted to onboard storage.

The 3.5” HDD is completely optional. It´s just 4 additional holes with countersinks. I would like to let the user decide what they will go for. If you want to go for an high-end rig you will probably use SSDs and/or M.2 drives only. But if you`re like me and don`t require the latest high end GPU but have >4TB of Music etc. you`ll probably be happy to have the 3.5” option. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Yugo555

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
After reading some reviews of the H1 today, I am definitely relieved with the thermals of our RCC-BIG1 ;)

Some reviewers of the H1 have tested with similar setups as we did, using a 65W CPU & 175W GPU and they claim to be super impressed with ΔT 46°C for the CPU and ΔT 61°C for the GPU.

After doing some fine tuning of the positions and amount of vent holes on the BIG1 prototype we now got following thermals:

CPU Stress Test: ΔT 40°C, TDP 65W, boxed cooler, fan speed stable at 70%
GPU Stress Test: ΔT 57°C, TDP caped at 175W, fan speed stable at 80%
Chassis fan: 1500 RPM (only 25CFM)

Comparison without case:
CPU Stress Test: ΔT 37°C, TDP 65W, boxed cooler, fan speed stable at 70%
GPU Stress Test: ΔT 55°C, TDP caped at 175W, fan speed stable at 80%

I think this looks not too bad, considering the H1 comes with a fancy AIO and we are just using the Intel boxed cooler. :cool:

Last edited:

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
After reading some reviews of the H1 today, I am definitely relieved with the thermals of our RCC-BIG1 ;)

Some reviewers of the H1 have tested with similar setups as we did, using a 65W CPU & 175W GPU and they claim to be super impressed with ΔT 46°C for the CPU and ΔT 61°C for the GPU.

After doing some fine tuning of the positions and amount of vent holes on the BIG1 prototype we now got following thermals:

CPU Stress Test: ΔT 40°C, TDP 65W, boxed cooler, fan speed stable at 70%
GPU Stress Test: ΔT 57°C, TDP caped at 175W, fan speed stable at 80%
Chassis fan: 1500 RPM (only 25CFM)

Comparison without case:
CPU Stress Test: ΔT 37°C, TDP 65W, boxed cooler, fan speed stable at 70%
GPU Stress Test: ΔT 55°C, TDP caped at 175W, fan speed stable at 80%

I think this looks not too bad, considering the H1 comes with a fancy AIO and we are just using the Intel boxed cooler. :cool:

These are impressive results. I think any temperature below 70C for CPU and 80C for GPU are acceptable. What you have achieved is great. If similar results are achieved with higher end components by using higher end coolers, biggest issue would be solved ;)
Do you wanna place the power button over the vent holes? What was the idea before that? Do you also plan to integrate USB port around there or still wanna keep the clear look and use dongle option?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Finally, we got all the hardware we wanted to test in our BIG1 case! Below you can find the results of the two different setups we tested today.

Setup 1: Intel i5 6600 (65W) with Boxed Cooler and BIOSTAR B250GTN ITX, GPU: Gainward GTX1080

Setup 2: AMD Ryzen R7 3800X (105W) with Thermalright AXP-90/R and ASRock X470 Fatal1ty ITX, GPU: Inno3D RTX2080SUPER OC

Others:
RAM: 16GB DDR4
PSU: SILVERSTONE SX650-G
Chassis Fan: Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM

All tests now using fresh Win10 installation with latest drivers and BIOS. All fan settings in BIOS set to "standard". P95 CPU Stress Test (30min.) and Furmark GPU Stress Test (30min.)

Reference Temperatures, without Case
Only i5 CPU, 4/4 Threads: ΔT= 37°C, CPU Fan @ 70%
Only R7 3800X CPU 16/16 Threads: ΔT= 68°C, CPU Fan @ 100% (see comments below)
Only GTX1080: ΔT= 55°C, GPU Fan @ 80%
Only RTX2080SUPER OC: ΔT= 60°C, GPU Fan @ 82%

Reference Temperatures, with RCC BIG1 Case
Only i5 CPU, 4/4 Threads: ΔT= 39°C, CPU Fan @ 70%
Only R7 3800X CPU 16/16 Threads: ΔT= 68°C, CPU Fan @ 100% (see comments below)
Only GTX1080: ΔT 56°C, GPU Fan @ 80%
Only RTX2080SUPER OC: ΔT= 61°C, GPU Fan @ 83%

CPU & GPU combined stress tests (simulating heavy gaming)

Setup 1
: i5 6600 & GTX1080 (with RCC BIG1 Case)
i5 CPU 2/4 Threads: ΔT= 38°C, CPU Fan @ 70%
GTX1080: ΔT= 60°C, GPU Fan @ 82%

Setup 2: Ryzen R7 3800X & RTX2080SUPER (with RCC BIG1 Case)
R7 3800X CPU 8/16 Threads: ΔT= 59°C, CPU Fan @ 100%
RTX2080SUPER OC: ΔT= 61°C, GPU Fan @ 84%

Comments: Yes, R7 CPU temps with and without case are identical. It seems the thermal performance is limited by the design of the CPU cooler we used (airflow partially blocked by the RAM). In general, the results suggest that the thermal performance is not so much affected by our case but the coolers and fans you are going to use.

Next step: Update all drawings and produce new prototypes... :cool:

Reactions: tinyitx

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
These are impressive results. I think any temperature below 70C for CPU and 80C for GPU are acceptable. What you have achieved is great. If similar results are achieved with higher end components by using higher end coolers, biggest issue would be solved ;)

see new test results ^^

Do you wanna place the power button over the vent holes? What was the idea before that? Do you also plan to integrate USB port around there or still wanna keep the clear look and use dongle option?

Not yet decided. Now that we know how many vent holes we need and where to place them I need to think about the aesthetics... I think we will go for the USB dongle option. This is the most flexible option for us and the user.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Is there any airflow behind the motherboard (ie between the motherboard and the vertical mounting plate)?
I wonder, if hot air could be accumulated there to affect an M.2 SSD installed on the back of the mobo.

So far, it is looking good. The only case fan is the top 120x15 slim fan for exhaust. Correct?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Is there any airflow behind the motherboard (ie between the motherboard and the vertical mounting plate)?
I wonder, if hot air could be accumulated there to affect an M.2 SSD installed on the back of the mobo.

Yes, I considered this. There is plenty of space (10mm) and good bottom to top airflow.

The only case fan is the top 120x15 slim fan for exhaust. Correct?

Correct, only one 120x15 chassis fan. These fans are easy to source and users can choose a favorite one for their setup. If you are going for some higher end components you can go with a high end Noctua (90CFM) and if you are going with something mid-range you can choose a cheaper one with lower CFM.

Reactions: tinyitx

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Btw what CPU cooler is that?

Here you go (I think it´s not yet globally available): Thermalright AXP-90

Would be nice to combine with orange custom made PSU cables

Yeah. BTW: We used a set of cables which was pre-made for DAN A4 (and similar) cases. Some are a little bit too long but for people who don`t want to bother with customization I think these cable length are easy to get these days and fit OK.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
PS: Since Thermalright has not yet released any official specs of that CPU cooler I just checked some Chinese reviews. Seems it is more suitable for <95W CPUs as people reported 84°C ~ 86°C with their Ryzen 3600X and 3700X

I´ll order another one tomorrow. Maybe this one: IS50X

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
PS: Since Thermalright has not yet released any official specs of that CPU cooler I just checked some Chinese reviews. Seems it is more suitable for <95W CPUs as people reported 84°C ~ 86°C with their Ryzen 3600X and 3700X

I´ll order another one tomorrow. Maybe this one: IS50X
You might want to check out the IS-60, 6 heatpipes and 55mm tall. I was using one in a Sliger SM550 to cool a 3600x and worked very well.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
You might want to check out the IS-60, 6 heatpipes and 55mm tall. I was using one in a Sliger SM550 to cool a 3600x and worked very well.

There are some conflicting comments about IS-60. Mainly, some users claims that the bulky fan and especially fan screws are causing extra 2-3mm height so they had to buy flat head screws and some even changed the fan. Also on the website it says that RAM clearance is 34mm however some users don’t recommend using RAMs above 32mm. Which RAM module did you use? Did you have any minor clearance issue for the cooler?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
There are some conflicting comments about IS-60. Mainly, some users claims that the bulky fan and especially fan screws are causing extra 2-3mm height so they had to buy flat head screws and some even changed the fan. Also on the website it says that RAM clearance is 34mm however some users don’t recommend using RAMs above 32mm. Which RAM module did you use? Did you have any minor clearance issue for the cooler?
I used flathead screws for the SM550 because it only has 55mm cooler clearance, there is 60mm here so won't have that problem. I used Corsair Vengeance lpx.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
While waiting for the new CPU cooler, I did another few tests:

1) Ryzen R7 3800X (105W), Thermalright AXP-90/R, Fan speed 100%, RAM stick near the CPU removed (= better airflow)
Results @ 100% TDP (closed case): ΔT= 60,5°C

2) Introducing the Thermalright Wraith Prism LP Edition :p
Results @ 100% TDP (closed case): ΔT= 55,5°C

Total height: 70mm (working, but not optimal, cooler height should definitely be <= 60mm in our case)

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Now that I know the right position of the vent holes, I would like to ask you about the aesthetics... ;)

Below you can see two different ideas I had in mind. If you have a totally different idea how it should look like, please feel free to comment. Only requirements: Vents must be in the lower half of the case and total amount of cutouts should be kept as low as possible (less bigger cutouts preferred over more smaller cutouts).

sffaddiction

Cable Smoosher
Apr 13, 2020
Just some comments/ideas - as much as I hate to say it, I think the cutouts on the case should all be the same throughout. IMO there is more symmetry and it looks more premium when everything is the same. That's my biggest issue with Sliger cases(each panel has a different cutout) and why I would never own one.

I like how the top panel looks like its "floating"(for another reference, see the fractal design era's top). Is there any way to incorporate that "feature" onto the side panels and have airflow coming in from the edges? Might make things too expensive though. Another idea and this may fringe a little on apple's designs. But i do like the cheese grater look and what Metallic Gear did to their front panel on this video could look good on this case. I believe I read somewhere the panel is plastic but painted to look like metal.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I think the cutouts on the case should all be the same throughout. IMO there is more symmetry and it looks more premium when everything is the same.

Agree, I also had this idea. We made simple 12mm round cutouts at the top (similar like series x) and I could imagine to apply this also to the side panels to keep everything the same. BUT, this will make the case definitely more expensive. More holes means that the tools will be more complicated and I don´t expect we will sell high quantities. Long story short: we`ll also have to consider the ROI factor if we are doing this. Maybe we should think about a Indiegogo Campaign to see how many people are actually interested in our cases...

I like how the top panel looks like its "floating"(for another reference, see the fractal design era's top). Is there any way to incorporate that "feature" onto the side panels and have airflow coming in from the edges? Might make things too expensive though.

Everything is possible but comes at a price ;) At the moment we aim for a medium price range with our cases. Nothing super premium. But I´ll keep the idea in mind for possible coming designs.

Another idea and this may fringe a little on apple's designs. But i do like the cheese grater look and what Metallic Gear did to their front panel on this video could look good on this case. I believe I read somewhere the panel is plastic but painted to look like metal.

If we would go for the round cutouts on the sides and put a dust filter net behind, this might look a bit similar maybe. But we will not have (don`t need) so many holes like these cases in the video.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
PS: How about a compromise... round & long cutouts combined? Of course this could also be applied to the top.

Last edited:

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
Both design looks fine. Are you gonna design the GPU panel as same?

PS: How about a compromise... round & long cutouts combined? Of course this could also be applied to the top.
Any possible rendered design? Round & long cutouts can be an advantage in terms of placing dust filter and providing fresh air to the PSU too. In this case, you wouldn’t need complete filter but partial, smaller magnet filters. Which probably costs less. In my opinion dust filters must be optional because some users don’t prefer them since they limit the airflow and cause thermal issues in time.