Production RCC-BIG1 | vertical small footprint 13L SFF case | supports 300mm 2.5 Slot GPUs and NH-L12S

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Introducing REVOCCASES - RCC-BIG1 | vertical 13l wind-tunnel SFF case - RTX3080 FE ready

for orders and more info: revoccases.com

Many thanks to hi9x for sharing some pictures of his awesome build and confirming that the RTX3080FE works well in the BIG1!

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
RCC-BIG1 Build Instructions

The case comes pre-assembled. In order to get started we first need to take it apart.

1) remove the top cover e.g. with a plastic ruler or some other non-metal tool

2) remove the three countersink screws at the bottom of the case

3) remove the two thumb screws at the bottom of the case

4) remove the thumb screws at the top of the case

5) slide the covers upwards to remove them

The case comes with several kind of screws and accessories. Some of them are optional and I always include a few more screws than necessary. So don't worry if you have something left after your build.

Now we can start with the actual BIG1 build:

1) fix your SSDs / HDDs to the chassis using M3 countersink screws

2) prepare your motherboard with CPU, cooler, RAM, etc and fix it to the chassis with M3 flat head screws

3) fix the PSU / FAN bracket to the chassis with two M3 countersink screws. Note: to prevent thread damages, never over-tighten your screws.

4) fix your PSU to the bracket, the fan shall face inwards

5) plug the AC power pigtail cable in your PSU. Warning: never connect AC power to the mains when working inside a computer!

6) now you can already do some cable management, plug in the cables for GPU and Motherboard power, etc.
also don't forget to connect and route the cables for the power button

7) install your GPU to the chassis using one thump screw, washer and two flat head M3 screws

8) bend the PCIe riser cable as shown in the picture and plug it in the motherboard and your GPU. IMPORTANT: the PCIe Gen 3 riser cable might not work with PCIe Gen 4 and you might not be able to boot if PCIe Gen 4 is activated in your BIOS! In order to switch to PCIe Gen 3 you may need to plug your GPU directly into the PCIe slot of your Motherboard and switch to Gen 3 before you continue your build.

9) route the cable for your fan and place it on top of the fan bracket. Do NOT fix the fan yet.

Optional: If you are using a 140 x 13mm fan (like the TY-14013) you can use the included rubber nubs to offset it a few mm from the fan bracket

10) Now it is time to put on the covers. Since this is a bit tricky, I would recommend to test your system first before doing so. After you are sure that everything runs fine we can go ahead...

11) Slide in the side covers from the top. Usually I start with the one on the Motherboard side. Note: take care not to damage the riser cable...

12) slide in the GPU side panel

13) Now comes the most difficult part: fixing the side panels... there is not much space to reach the screws from the top so we need to get a little bit creative...

I do have rather small hands so for me it is not too difficult to get those screws in. If you have bigger hands, you can try to use one of the other screws I have included (or maybe ask someone in your family for help...)

if that does not work and you need more space: place the case on the side and remove the PSU/FAN bracket (remember when I said not to fix the fan yet). Now this should give you enough space to reach the screws more easily.

optional: some people said they had issues with vibrations on the fan bracket so I have included a small piece of silicon rubber which you can cut to size and put between the side panel and the fan bracket

14) time to fix the fan with the long M3 flat head screws

15) install the power button and plug it in, route the cables using cable ties.

16) now we can fix the side panels also at the bottom: first assemble the two thumb screws...

... and then the three M3 countersink screws

Optional: some people said they are not comfortable with the "wobble" when the case stands on its four legs. Therefore I have included some rubber material which you can use instead.

17) Last step: push in the top cover into the slots. It is tight, but it will fit eventually.

18) Enjoy your new build!

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Update on the progress:

Machining of the prototype parts for RCC-BIG1 is almost complete. Next steps are bending and surface treating, which I hope can be finished within the next 1 or 2 weeks.

(Un-)fortunately I had another idea for the Top-Panel of the BIG1 case. Originally we wanted to have some "front" USB ports on the top, so we had only enough space to use one 92mm case fan. Today I had the idea to use a 120mm fan instead and move the "front" USB ports to the back side of the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: hmnzr and tinyitx

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Welcome!

Very interesting form factor for the RCC-BIG, took me a while to understand that the ports are at the bottom (was only looking at the renders at first).

I like that it shares the Xbox Series X's efficient airflow design. Have you thought about using a single very large fan at the top?

Is there a reason why the gpu is the way you proposed versus being flipped around?
I guess it doesn't make a big difference because the airflow is just bottom to top?

Any interest in keeping the RCC-BIG layout but shrinking it down a bit by reducing max cpu-cooler height and GPU compartment height and overall length/height? Sort of like a (maybe slightly bigger), upside-down Velka 5.

What do you think? Do you prefer some easy accessible USB ports or better cooling / lower noise?

I'd prefer to not have ports at the top to allow for efficient airflow.
Where is the power button going to go? How about power button + front IO in the front of the case?

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thank you for your feedback, which is really important for us!

I have thought about this design already a long time ago because it combines the simple rules of thermodynamics/physics (hot air goes up) with a small footprint. Now that this concept becomes more popular (nGen Consoles) I thought it is time to bring the idea to life...

I already moved from 2x60mm fans to 1x92mm and now we are at 1x120mm. Perhaps we could fit an 140mm fan but since the PSU is also supporting the airflow and exhausts hot air to the top I´m not sure this is necessary. Let`s wait for the tests with our prototypes first. ;)

The orientation of the GPU was chosen to keep the riser cable as short as possible. Longer riser cables are more expensive and some people might even argue that longer cables could cause performance loss.

We could still shrink the size but this would mean more compromises e.g. concerning the GPU length. If you need something really small, have a look at our RCC-SMALL1 (ever had an NUC with an GTX1650?) ;) But I also have another concept in the pipeline. There is still room for an RCC-MID1 (Medium) in our portfolio! :cool:

The power button sits at the top panel. I`ll post some new pictures next week. Sure, it would be possible to put the USB on the front but as a design choice we wanted to keep the visible sides as clean and tidy as possible (e.g. you won`t see any screws on the outside of the case). But thanks for your suggestion, I`ll make some new drawings and see how it looks like.

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
Hello,
The case seems quite promising. Chimney effect with a bigger fan would work better in my opinion as long as there are enough fresh air intake on the side panels. By looking the 3D modeling, although there are holes at the bottom of the case, it is surrounded by the panel. So I assume that the fresh air intake will be mainly through the side panels.

I had H200 Mini ATX case where the graphic card face down upon the PSU shroud. And that positioning prevents the GPU to access complete fresh air but mixed air that is exhausted by the PSU, so this brings the thermal performance of the GPU down. In RCC BIG1 as I see from the modelling, placing the GPU facing toward PSU exhaust might effect its thermal performance while you are trying to shorten the riser cable. This is just an assumption. Maybe there are some community members who had a similar case layout and would like to share his experiences.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

You are right, fresh air will be drawn from the bottom of the case. Additionally we will likely have air intakes on the side panel(s) (which are not yet shown on the earlier render images).

Don´t worry concerning the position of the PSU. Maybe it`s difficult to see from the render image but the PSU is supporting the airflow concept and exhausts hot air to the top, not towards the GPU.

We have already ordered some highish-end components to test our concept and when the prototypes are ready we will share the results (no matter good or bad) here with the community.

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Perhaps we could fit an 140mm fan but since the PSU is also supporting the airflow and exhausts hot air to the top I´m not sure this is necessary.

The bigger the top fan the better! :D 140mm fans seem to be easy to source and move almost twice the air volume than 120mm fans at the same speed.

Additionally we will likely have air intakes on the side panel(s) (which are not yet shown on the earlier render images).

That'll be an interesting thing to test as well -- I remember from tests of the HG Osmi, that fully closed side panels with just bottom-to-top airflow actually resulted in lower temps than with air intake on the sides. (but that case had regular GPU orientation w/o riser)

I`ll post some new pictures next week. [...] we wanted to keep the visible sides as clean and tidy as possible (e.g. you won`t see any screws on the outside of the case).

Can't wait to see actual pictures of the industrial design you are going for!

If you need something really small, have a look at our RCC-SMALL1 (ever had an NUC with an GTX1650?) ;) But I also have another concept in the pipeline. There is still room for an RCC-MID1 (Medium) in our portfolio! :cool:

I definitely like the novelty factor of your approach there, but personally, I am not super interested in NUC + 1650 because of the limited GPU performance. In that performance/size range, I'd either opt for a case with ITX-board + low-profile GPU or wait for next-gen AMD APUs to go without a dedicated GPU in a ITX or deskmini sized board.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Update 06.04.2020: Especially for RCC-BIG1 we have received a lot of valuable feedback from the community and I`d like to thank you for that.

Here are some ideas for improvements, based on the feedback we got so far:

Cooling and Power Cable

- We checked if we could fit an 140mm cooling fan (instead of 120mm) at the top of RCC-BIG1. Unfortunately not. The power cable of the PSU will not allow that.

- We`d like to add more air intakes at the bottom of the case but since space is limited, we would have to remove the fixed IEC socket. Another issue is, that the orientation of the IEC connector varies on different SFX power supplies. So we had the idea to give users the freedom of choice to use their own cable with the correct orientation for their favorite PSU and just route it through the bottom of the case. Little bonus of this solution: lower price and less electronic waste.

Front USB

Personally I only use the front USB port(s) if I need to copy something on a pendrive but every user has different needs and every motherboard has different features. We would like to make the case easy for manufacturing but still let the users choose which connector they prefer. So how do you think if we use these kinds of dongle cables instead of a fixed port? Of course it will not effect the clean appearance because if not in use, it is hidden under or behind the case.

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :)

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
I am confused with the orientation of PSU. In the last modeling the fan side is faced inward such as GPU, while in the first post it is facing outward. According to the orientation, performance and required IEC connector may vary. Due to unique length and orientation of IEC connector, there can be an option for buyers at your website where they can optionally choose their additional connector as extra as some case manufacturers offer this feature on their websites.
Here are the most used 3 SFX PSU models from Corsair, Evga and Silverstone, just in case people wanna check their orientations;

For the USB connector alternatives, I personally liked the idea of having a dongle so I don’t have stand up each time I connect something :D
Anyway, recent monitors come with integrated USB ports on it which is directly connected to the motherboard, so I guess in near future we won’t need any ports on the cases.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
he bigger the top fan the better! :D 140mm fans seem to be easy to source and move almost twice the air volume than 120mm fans at the same speed.

I agree. But like I said, a 140mm fan would be blocked by the PSU cable unless we make the complete case 25mm higher or sacrifice the >300mm clearance for the GPU . However, since our design is modular we could design an add-on for customers who would like to have a bigger fan.

That'll be an interesting thing to test as well -- I remember from tests of the HG Osmi, that fully closed side panels with just bottom-to-top airflow actually resulted in lower temps than with air intake on the sides. (but that case had regular GPU orientation w/o riser)

Lets wait and see when the prototypes are ready. Hopefully we can go with closed side panels. ;)

I definitely like the novelty factor of your approach there, but personally, I am not super interested in NUC + 1650 because of the limited GPU performance. In that performance/size range, I'd either opt for a case with ITX-board + low-profile GPU or wait for next-gen AMD APUs to go without a dedicated GPU in a ITX or deskmini sized board.

Thank you. It will be interesting to see what comes up in the next couple of month. A NUC with next-gen AMD APU would definitely be a nice product.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I am confused with the orientation of PSU. In the last modeling the fan side is faced inward such as GPU, while in the first post it is facing outward. According to the orientation, performance and required IEC connector may vary.

Correct, we had to change the orientation to fit a 120mm fan at the top. PS: Please note that these PSUs blow out the hot air at the side of the power connector (fan side sucks in fresh air). So the PSU will support our bottom to top airflow.

Due to unique length and orientation of IEC connector, there can be an option for buyers at your website where they can optionally choose their additional connector as extra as some case manufacturers offer this feature on their websites

Something like this was the idea we had in mind to make it fit for everyone. I still have the SST RVZ at home and you could only use it with certain power supplies due to the orientation of the PSU cable they included.

For the USB connector alternatives, I personally liked the idea of having a dongle so I don’t have stand up each time I connect something :D

Thanks, good to hear you like the idea.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hi! I hope you are still enjoying to see our project slowly come to life.

Do you know the feeling when you got a new toy for Christmas and can`t wait to try it? Well, our (very first) proof-of-concept-prototypes are not yet totally finished and the components (and custom cables!) we ordered still haven`t arrived. But I just couldn't wait. So I took some unused components I had at home and put everything together...

We really need those short cables! ?

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Congrats on getting the first prototype together!

I don't want to be overly critical, but I still find the use of space a little inefficient.

Have you thought about moving from equally sized GPU / CPU compartments to increasing the size of the CPU one in favour of the GPU one (more like the nzxt h1, which has similar dimensions)? The reasoning is that space in the cpu compartment can be used for better CPU coolers, but space on the GPU side that goes beyond the typical 2/3 slot GPU height is sort of wasted (unless you really like 3.5" drives...)