Production RCC-BIG1 | vertical small footprint 13L SFF case | supports 300mm 2.5 Slot GPUs and NH-L12S

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
How about extending the mounting notch a few mm and flip the PSU which the fan will face inward. Also to use a low profile c13 connector like this; https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...85097.d4918997.34785a38Btgawa&id=568815392676
So you will have possibility to add 140mm fan. I have no idea how it will effect the temperatures tough.

Wow, thanks! Great adapter! We will order some samples and see how it works.

Yeah, we had the same idea to flip and move the PSU but the connector is still in the way to fit 140mm fans. We are missing about 10mm here (see below with 120mm fan). But hopefully the adapter you found will help. :)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Congrats on getting the first prototype together!

I don't want to be overly critical, but I still find the use of space a little inefficient.

Have you thought about moving from equally sized GPU / CPU compartments to increasing the size of the CPU one in favour of the GPU one (more like the nzxt h1, which has similar dimensions)? The reasoning is that space in the cpu compartment can be used for better CPU coolers, but space on the GPU side that goes beyond the typical 2/3 slot GPU height is sort of wasted (unless you really like 3.5" drives...)

Thank you. :)

Every constructive criticism is welcome. ;)

We could definitely drop the idea of 3.5" HDD support, but I`m afraid we can`t move the CPU compartment like in the H1, unless we make a complete re-design. Please see below picture of the bottom of the case. If we would move the motherboard, the I/O cutout would more or less cut the whole chassis base into half.

May I ask which CPU and cooler you would prefer to use? We have just received a pretty cool full copper cooler which we would like to fit into our next prototype.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
In order to improve the cooling performance of our design we performed some initial stress tests today.

Please note: these results are not representative for the final design. It is just a first test to see where we are just yet. We did not do any cable management, used a boxed CPU cooler and a random 120mm 1500RPM case fan. Also worth noting: the Gainward GTX1080 we used was previously installed in my old RVZ01 case where it also used to throttle when put under a stress test. Maybe not the best card for an SFF build or something is wrong with the cooler (it already reaches 83C with fans full on outside a case?!).

Components used:
- i5 6600 65W CPU with original boxed cooler
- Gainward GTX1080 dual fan
- 16GB RAM
- BIOSTAR B250 mini ITX
- Crucial 2.5" SATA SSD
- Silverstone SX650 G PSU
- 120mm 1500RPM case fan

Software used:
HWiNFO, Kombustor FurMark GPU Stress Test & Kombustor "CPU Burner"

Results "open frame", ambient 27C, after 30 minutes (no change after that):
CPU max.: 63C (CPU test only, 4/4 threads)
GPU max.: 83C (GPU test only, FurMark Stress Test)
CPU & GPU combined: 62C & 83C (CPU 2/4 threads & FurMark Stress Test)

Results closed case, ambient 27 deg. C, after 30 minutes (no change after that):
CPU max.: 75C (CPU test only, 4/4 threads)
GPU max.: 93C, throttling (GPU test only, FurMark Stress Test)
CPU & GPU combined: 74C & 94C (CPU 2/4 threads & FurMark Stress Test)

Considering that we used a boxed CPU cooler and our non-yet-existing cable management (cables almost blocking the airflow around the CPU completely) I am quite OK with the CPU temps. With temps of the Gainward GTX1080 I was rather frustrated as you might imagine. Out of frustration I even cut some additional holes in the side panel. But this also did not help. :\

Before jumping to any conclusions we`ll wait for the RTX2080S and the better 120mm & 140mm case fans we ordered. If this also does not work out, we`ll try to flip around the GPU and add some additional air inlets like dotch and yugo already suggested.

Stay tuned and keep healty! ?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You will need ventilation at the front of the GPU for fresh air intake but you will also need to exhaust the hot air, I would consider adequate ventilation on the sides of the GPU.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
You will need ventilation at the front of the GPU for fresh air intake but you will also need to exhaust the hot air, I would consider adequate ventilation on the sides of the GPU.

Today I checked our concept (fresh air enters at the bottom and exhausts from the top) with a little fog machine. Actually this is working fine. But (like you said) I also observed that the GPU exhausts most of the hot air to the sides and it seems that the fan on top of the case is not strong enough to exhaust this sufficient enough.

I guess you are right and for our next prototypes we`ll have to make a new panel on the GPU side with many, many holes (although I still prefer to have as little visible holes as possible).

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Certainly the smallest Workstation / Gaming PC you can build.

Overall Dimensions
215 (H) x 117 (W) x 115 mm (D) (w/o NUC)

Power Supply
MEANWELL HRPG-150 PSU (included)
The NUC expansion idea is certainly unique. Do you have more renders? Why the HRPG-150? I obsess over small details of efficiency, so I'm biased, but 80 plus bronze / silver ish efficiency doesn't seem great compared to meanwell's other offerings

(Can't help but squeeze in a complaint about claims of smallest x,y,z, don't mind me)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
The NUC expansion idea is certainly unique. Do you have more renders? Why the HRPG-150? I obsess over small details of efficiency, so I'm biased, but 80 plus bronze / silver ish efficiency doesn't seem great compared to meanwell's other offerings

Not yet. We are in process of making some prototypes and I will show some pictures when these are ready.
Well, it is passive cooled, is not too expensive, easy to source, has 5 years warranty, has the right dimensions to fit in our case and a remote ON/OFF function which we need to switch on the GPU together with the NUC. But if you have something better in mind, please let me know. Nothing is fixed yet. ;)

(Can't help but squeeze in a complaint about claims of smallest x,y,z, don't mind me)

Well, you are right. We should delete this claim. Of course you could also buy one of the "ZBOXes" from Zotac which might have similar size/volume but have a soldered down dGPU.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Of course you could also buy one of the "ZBOXes" from Zotac which might have similar size/volume but have a soldered down dGPU.
Don't forget asrock DeskMini GTX and all its variants, they are 2.7L and go up to 8 core gtx 1080. Soldered dGPU with Zotac prevents future upgrades but half height GPU is quite a limitation too :)
Don't take my comments the wrong way, I'm super interested in any project that has a board smaller than ITX

Out of curiosity, have you had the chance to test out the HRPG-150 with a NUC and GPU yet?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Don't forget asrock DeskMini GTX and all its variants, they are 2.7L and go up to 8 core gtx 1080. Soldered dGPU with Zotac prevents future upgrades but half height GPU is quite a limitation too :)

Sure, but as far as I know the Deskmini is really a bit bigger...

Maybe we can move the discussion to another thread I´ve created especially for the RCC-SMALL1 project:
RCC-SMALL1 NUC GPU EXTENSION

Out of curiosity, have you had the chance to test out the HRPG-150 with a NUC and GPU yet?

Yes, I did. NUC8i5 & Gigabyte GTX1650 tested with Kombustor Furmark Vulkan Benchmark (1920x1080): 62FPS, 3710 Points

It`s working really well and you`ll only see about 3 to 4 % performance loss compared to full PCIe16x

Reactions: NateDawg72

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Sure, but as far as I know the Deskmini is really a bit bigger...
its a bit bigger in foot print, but smaller, 213 x 154.5 x 81.9mm
Edit: I forgot that is excluding PSU, so with that added I think it would be a little bigger over all, you're right

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think, the single slim 120mm top fan is not powerful enough to create the negative pressure for fresh ambient air to go into the case via the bottom panel. And the vent holes of the bottom panel are also not enough.

Hope this case will progress ahead. Just want to give you some moral support!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I think, the single slim 120mm top fan is not powerful enough to create the negative pressure for fresh ambient air to go into the case via the bottom panel. And the vent holes of the bottom panel are also not enough.

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I already gave up the idea to go without any additional vent holes on the sides. This will work under normal conditions for <65W CPUs and <150W GPUs but since some people would like to put something more powerful in the case, we have to add these vent holes.

Short update for today:

1) I realized the fan we used yesterday had only 25CFM XD The fans we ordered but not yet arrived will have 50CFM and 90CFM. So we will definitely see some improvements with these.

2) I made a cardboard prototype with additional vent holes and repeated the tests from yesterday (still using the 25CFM fan).

Here are the (more promising) results:
Closed case, additional vent holes, ambient 27 deg. C, after 30 minutes (no change after that):
CPU only: 71C (CPU test only, 4/4 threads)
GPU only: 86C, no throttling (GPU test only, FurMark Stress Test)
CPU & GPU combined: 74C & 88C, no throttling (CPU 2/4 threads & FurMark Stress Test at the same time)

(Anyone interested in a cardboard version of our case? :p)

Long story short: Yes, we will go with vent holes on the sides. I was thinking about some kind of binary pattern or morse code (like 0s & Is) and also including the power button in that pattern. What do you think?

PS: The RTX2080S we ordered arrived DOA. Well, it worked but I realized the fans didn't spin when it immediately jumped to 90C and throttled running the stress test. So we`ll have to wait another few days to test this.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Just some first ideas for the additional side vents... Let me know what you think. ??

Front view (CPU side):

Back view (GPU side):

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I am an ''form follows function'' guy. So, I would investigate the amount, size and locations of the openings to achieve best cooling first and then work out the aesthetics later.

Reactions: Gerold and rfarmer

pentacle

Case Bender
New User
Feb 12, 2020
Just some first ideas for the additional side vents... Let me know what you think. ??

Front view (CPU side):

Back view (GPU side):

How about implementing the Skyslots by Josh from NFC? I know that not everyone might like it as it takes away the character of your case but judging by the looks of the vents that you came up with, I just thought it would be cool to implement an already well proven vent hole design (also very ridgid and keeps the weight down).

Great looking case by the way!! Looking forward to when the case goes into the production stage!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I am an ''form follows function'' guy. So, I would investigate the amount, size and locations of the openings to achieve best cooling first and then work out the aesthetics later.

Fully agree. I prefer to have only as many openings as necessary in the right positions instead of holes everywhere. I`ll definitely test some ideas with cardboard first before making any decisions. But since aesthetics are also important I´ll already have to think about what people might like.

Please see update idea below considering function but also aesthetics (maybe I can reduce and/or move these slots but I`ll have to make a "cardboard test" with a 100W CPU and 300W GPU first).

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
How about implementing the Skyslots by Josh from NFC? I know that not everyone might like it as it takes away the character of your case but judging by the looks of the vents that you came up with, I just thought it would be cool to implement an already well proven vent hole design (also very ridgid and keeps the weight down).

Well, I think this design represents something like their brand identity and it matches good with their products. For our design I was thinking about straight slots (like example above) or just simple circle cutouts like we already have at the top of the case.

PS: Perhaps many people don`t know it, but more holes/slots also mean higher (production and/or tooling) cost. So I would like to minimize the slots and holes where ever possible.

Great looking case by the way!! Looking forward to when the case goes into the production stage!

Thank you, me too! :p

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
Also worth noting: the Gainward GTX1080 we used was previously installed in my old RVZ01 case where it also used to throttle when put under a stress test. Maybe not the best card for an SFF build or something is wrong with the cooler (it already reaches 83C with fans full on outside a case?!).
In my opinion the tests must be performed with proper hardware, in order to reach solid results. You may consider to redo the tests with newer hardware.

Fully agree. I prefer to have only as many openings as necessary in the right positions instead of holes everywhere. I`ll definitely test some ideas with cardboard first before making any decisions. But since aesthetics are also important I´ll already have to think about what people might like.

Please see update idea below considering function but also aesthetics (maybe I can reduce and/or move these slots but I`ll have to make a "cardboard test" with a 100W CPU and 300W GPU first).

A wise man once said: "I don´t want to make slots for aesthetics but the slots I`ll have to make for function shall look aesthetic." ;)

I actually really liked the holed design. May I ask you if you are going to do any hardware repositioning or flipping with vented panel design?
I also think that 3.5” HDDs are quite outdated. You may consider to provide only 2.5” SSD support since they are quite affordable and common nowadays. Personally more futuristic approach is to not deal with any of them. Together with new generation motherboards coming this year and more affordable M2 SSD options, hard disk storage feature will be completely shifted to onboard storage.

We are excited to hear new updates. I am sure that you will reach to desired results soon ;)