Discussion replacing CPU fan with a bigger fan mounted to the case?

Damprol

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Basically I have a cooler with a slim 92mm fan on it.
But I have a big Arctic P14 which is a chonky boi of a 140mm fan that in theory can cool a lot better, but there's no way to mount it onto this puny heatsink.

The case mesh above the CPU can have this fan mounted to it though. There would be a gap 5mm-8mm between the fan and the heatsink if I did this, I'm just not sure if that matters.

Thoughts? This setup if it worked would cool not only the CPU, but VRMs, RAM and everything else.
case in question: Silverstone Milo 10
Heatsink in question: Thermalright AXP/90 R

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Basically I have a cooler with a slim 92mm fan on it.
But I have a big Arctic P14 which is a chonky boi of a 140mm fan that in theory can cool a lot better, but there's no way to mount it onto this puny heatsink.

The case mesh above the CPU can have this fan mounted to it though. There would be a gap 5mm-8mm between the fan and the heatsink if I did this, I'm just not sure if that matters.

Thoughts? This setup if it worked would cool not only the CPU, but VRMs, RAM and everything else.
case in question: Silverstone Milo 10
Heatsink in question: Thermalright AXP/90 R
Why not?
The top cover has mount openings for 120/140 fan already.
Just do it.

Actually, is it really absolutely no way to mount a 140mm fan on top of the AXP 90R? Not even some tiny zip ties?

If the operation is successful, remember to report back some before-and-after thermal numbers for future reference for other members.