Discussion Removing HDD stickers

ruby

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
Hey
I've been thinking about removing the top sticker off a 3.5" disk for color-consistency reasons, but am reluctant to go ahead if it just leaves me with a layer of glue residue and ripped paper. So, if anyone here has experience with that I would love some advice. These do not look easily peeled off; maybe a hot air gun would help but I don't know.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Must be super careful if you do use a heat gun. Max operating temp of a HDD is about 60C while a heat gun emits hot air of at least 100C. Granted that the heated up part is the (surface of) casing, one never knows how this heat is transmitted by conduction to the internal mechanism.
If you are successful, maybe you can post your experience here.

ruby

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
Thanks for the advices. I've been looking for isopropanol/ethanol mixture where I live but so far no luck. I might share my experience if I go ahead with this.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
In my country I can buy isopropyl alcohol (99,99% pure) in the pharmacy, but maybe you can find it in DIY stores as well.

1337harcha

Caliper Novice
Apr 9, 2019
And for situations when alcohol nor Fairy cut it, you can always try baby oil soap, this thing get's rid of sticker-glue real well.
I bought some kitchenware 2 years ago and until recently it still had glue residue despite countless times of washing up. Baby oil soap got rid of it in 2 minutes.

Reactions: Phuncz

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
Alternatively, you can consider just getting some vinyl wrap. You can get all kinds of colors, and textures (if "fake texture" is something you're okay with.) But glossy or matte black, white, and any color in between is available. Enough to do some hard drives would be relatively cheap, too.

ruby

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
Yeah, I already have some custom vinyl text on the sides. Having a large patch on the top would definitely work.

ruby

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
--UPDATE--

I finally went ahead and peeled the sticker off a new Seagate 3.5" drive. It came off easily, with no residue and no need for solvents!

Kudos to Seagate for using hassle-free glue. Don't know about other vendors though.

Reactions: Phuncz
D

Deleted member 23607

--UPDATE--

I finally went ahead and peeled the sticker off a new Seagate 3.5" drive. It came off easily, with no residue and no need for solvents!

Kudos to Seagate for using hassle-free glue. Don't know about other vendors though.
Congrats! Friendly tip: if you have a label making machine, put a little label of the model number of the drive on the side if it doesn't bother you.