Cooling Reliable 1u CPU cooler.

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Hey guys, so I need a reliable and good cooler that is under 30mm tall for my PFsense box. I asked this here once before, and was suggested a Zalman CPNSx2, well 2 failures in under a year, that is no longer cutting it. The first one outright stopped working, after a short time. The second one, is now on the fritz making loud ticking noises. This is a 24/7, needs to be up at all time system.

It runs not only my personal house LAN, my businesses "Hotel Wifi", and also all my servers. And CPU fans that die for no reason aint getting it lol.

Now I do have, 3 Noctua 40mms right in front of the board, so I could try the Linus method of a huge Copper block, but I'm not sure that would be enough to cool my Xeon. Though a heat sink with its own fan and a fin array that can benefit from my front airflow would be good.

I know Linus had a bunch of issues with the block cooler, but he was using a desktop board, I am not, my board is designed for that type of cooler. If nothing else will be reliable I may attempt that route. Here is my board.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
What Xeon do you have? A "passive" copper cooler with ducted airflow from the Noctua 40's may work in your favour - it's how a tonne of 1U boxes are cooled!

Critical though is fan ducting. That can be done with cardboard and tape though, so it's not impossible!

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
Hey guys, so I need a reliable and good cooler that is under 30mm tall for my PFsense box. I asked this here once before, and was suggested a Zalman CPNSx2, well 2 failures in under a year, that is no longer cutting it. The first one outright stopped working, after a short time. The second one, is now on the fritz making loud ticking noises. This is a 24/7, needs to be up at all time system.

It runs not only my personal house LAN, my businesses "Hotel Wifi", and also all my servers. And CPU fans that die for no reason aint getting it lol.

Now I do have, 3 Noctua 40mms right in front of the board, so I could try the Linus method of a huge Copper block, but I'm not sure that would be enough to cool my Xeon. Though a heat sink with its own fan and a fin array that can benefit from my front airflow would be good.

I know Linus had a bunch of issues with the block cooler, but he was using a desktop board, I am not, my board is designed for that type of cooler. If nothing else will be reliable I may attempt that route. Here is my board.
Had you thort about a Fan-Replaysment? Like stripping out the fan out of his frame and gluet in?

Akasa Slimfan 80x80x10.8mm 600-3000 U/min 27.09 dB(A)

p.s. to fill the Gap between the cooler and the fan, just glue some pennys in there as spacers (Copper is Copper)

Last edited:

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
Yup. Can try but it'd be a pain to cut off the frame.

I see 1u coolers for like $20-30. Some are centrifugal and some have standard replaceable fans.

There arent many options to choose from... this one, the engine 27 or the Dynatron K2 and low end ones from Silverstone and Askasa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz