Enclosure Recommended enclosed mini itx case

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
I've been using Cougar QBX for half a year now. Satisfied with the case thermal performance and size, not so much about the noise since it's basically an open air case with side mesh. The biggest issue I have is the dust accumulation. Living in a tropical country close to industrial complex means sticky dusty air. Doing maintenance isn't easy on the case as well since the storage mounting points are on the main side panel.

So I'm thinking going back to an enclosed case and willing to sacrifice a bit of space, so any suggestions for an enclosed mini itx case with positive airflow? I still have my Evolv ITX case which fits the bill, but I'm looking for a more compact case. Define Nano S is my next candidate but not so keen with the extra length, seems plenty of wasted space.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not sure how small you want to go & whether you need full size GPU support, but..

Silverstone SG-05
Silverstone SG-13
Lian Li PC-Q21
Lian Li PC-TU100
Cooler Master Elite 110
Cooler Master Elite 130
Cooler Master N200

And yes of course Define S Nano is also a good choice. I've build for a friend in that case before. Really well made, installation was super easy.

Reactions: Midiamp

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Not sure how small you want to go & whether you need full size GPU support, but..

Silverstone SG-05
Silverstone SG-13
Lian Li PC-Q21
Lian Li PC-TU100
Cooler Master Elite 110
Cooler Master Elite 130
Cooler Master N200

And yes of course Define S Nano is also a good choice. I've build for a friend in that case before. Really well made, installation was super easy.
Argh, stupid me, forgot about full size GPU support as mandatory.

I had the N200, for a micro ATX it's very compact. The Evolv ITX is actually similar in size but only supports ITX motherboards, that's why I'm not to keen on using the Evolv anymore.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
What hardware components are you using inside the Cougar QBX?
I am wondering if it is possible to do some airflow management (and possibly adding a filter or two) to achieve positive pressure?

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
What hardware components are you using inside the Cougar QBX?
I am wondering if it is possible to do some airflow management (and possibly adding a filter or two) to achieve positive pressure?
  • 1700X with NH-D9L running stock
  • 1080 Ti founders
  • 1x nvme
  • 1x 3.5" hdd
  • 2x ssd
For fans I have Corsair LL120 on the side for intake that blows directly on top of the heatsink. One 8 cm for exhaust and one 12 cm on top for exhaust. There's another intake fan below the case but probably isn't effective since it's blocked by the GPU, so I only use one fan below. All PWM controlled by Corsair link.

The problem is the humid and dusty air. The LL120 had this dust gunk build up on the fan blades. Not only that, all air pathway had this nasty buildups. Took me about 3 hours to open up the case and using compressed air in a can with dry towel to completely clean everything. I really like the case, it's basically a cheap ncase M1, with similar layout and footprint.