Raven Ridge HDMI 2.0 Compatibility — 1st Gen AM4 Motherboard Test Request Megathread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hifihedgehog, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog Airflow Optimizer

#1 Hifihedgehog, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    (UPDATE! LINUX USERS, PLEASE READ THE WARNING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST. WINDOWS USERS REMAIN UNAFFECTED.)

Fantastic news for Raven Ridge! Thanks to an adventurous redditor, it turns out that in at least one case HDMI 2.0 capability is, in fact, not dictated by the chipset but the processor. So some current first generation AM4 motherboards could, can, and do work with these Raven Ridge APUs, offering unhindered full specification HDMI 2.0 compatibility.

That is where you fellow forumers come in: let’s test Raven Ridge APUs and see which first generation AM4 motherboards (especially ITX and mATX, since this is SFF.net after all!) can properly display 4K at 60Hz. I will update this post to list the compatible models as you share your results here. Thank you for your help and participation.

Verified HDMI 2.0-compatible AM4 motherboards:

Awaiting test results for:
    Last updated on 3/7/2018 at 5:48 PM EST

Warning to Linux users: Linux, depending on the kernel, checks the BIOS tables for the explicitly coded support as defined by the manufacturer, so HDMI 2.0 many or may not work in your particular Linux distro. This is despite the fact that the hardware itself is more than capable. Details below:

Source:
    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...-some-motherboards-bios?p=1008853#post1008853

Twinstar, SaperPL, Phuncz and 3 others like this.
  2. HeroXLazer

HeroXLazer King of Cable Management

Ooh, that's nice.

Hifihedgehog likes this.
  3. Hifihedgehog

Here is a posting of mine from Reddit which sheds some light on why this thread exists:

Legion and RushNY like this.
  4. K888D

K888D SFF Guru
    Bronze Supporter Lazer3D

Thats great news! I have the Gigabyte GA-AB350N Wifi. Hopefully will have a running system this evening and will report back if it can output 2160p @ 60Hz.

5. Stefan75

Stefan75 Efficiency Noob

Looking forward to the results...
    I was planning to buy an i3-8100, but the lack of native HDMI2 put me off!

6. Hifihedgehog

#6 Hifihedgehog, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    I greatly appreciate it, K888D! I’ll keep eyes open for this later today.

7. Phuncz

Phuncz Lord of the Boards
    Moderator SFF Purist Gold Supporter

I'll be getting a Raven Ridge most likely on an ASRock AB350-ITX/ac in a while, but I don't have a 4K screen. If you know of a way to test this out, let us know !

stree, TheHig and Hifihedgehog like this.
  8. |||

||| King of Cable Management

I haven't tried it, but you could attempt to create a custom resolution at 3840 x 2160.

Phuncz and Hifihedgehog like this.
  9. gwilly7

gwilly7 Cable Smoosher

Does anyone know if the asrock instant flash will work without the cpu in to update bios

10. Hifihedgehog

#10 Hifihedgehog, Feb 14, 2018
    This $8 headless HDMI adapter (I own one and it worked well with my GTX 1080 for remote gaming at 4K and 60Hz) on the other vacant HDMI port should do the trick. If you can set it to 4K at 60 Hz, we will at least then know that 4K at 60 Hz works as a display option. You won’t be able to verify actual signal integrity or reliability to a physical display, though.

AleksandarK and Phuncz like this.
  11. Hifihedgehog

12. gwilly7

gwilly7 Cable Smoosher

I called my local microcenter and none of the boards they have are updated yet and they quoted $30 to update the Bios. (I am in Denver) Will have to do some digging to find out, would be great if instant flash works without a cpu.

Hifihedgehog likes this.
  13. Hifihedgehog

#13 Hifihedgehog, Feb 14, 2018
    You could try contacting ASRock and seeing what options you have. I am not sure how you would do a BIOS recovery, but some manufacturers have an method to flash without a display or working CPU. You can contact ASRock technical support here. Sadly, they are closed for the Chinese New Year through the 20th. If there is a way and they show you how to do it, please share the instructions with us here. Thanks!

14. K888D

K888D SFF Guru
    Bronze Supporter Lazer3D

Got the 2400G running on the Gigabyte AB350N using an A6-9500 to update the BIOS.

Running Windows off an M2 SSD and it feels super zippy so far.

Regarding HDMI 2.0, I forgot that the 4k monitor I have is only HDMI 1.4, I've been using Display port for 4k @ 60hz, so unfortunately I cant test the HDMI 2.0 aspect just yet!

It is outputting 2160p @ 30hz though.

owliwar, Acalanata, CC Ricers and 2 others like this.
  15. Hifihedgehog

Good news! AMD expected this very scenario and has just announced a solution that is completely free of charge in the form of a “boot kit” (some are speculating this may be a last-gen Bristol Ridge or Carrizo Pro APU to serve as a temporary throwaway processor to perform the upgrade) for those with a Raven Ridge APU and a motherboard requiring the BIOS update. Here are the officially published details and instructions to begin the process to obtain your own:

16. confusis

confusis John Morrison. Writer, Editor, Awesome Person.
    Site Staff SFF Workshop

I'm chasing more information on the boot kit (will order one tomorrow with the serial off a review unit APU).

Unfortunately I can't test 4K - my best monitor is 1080P at best :(

17. gwilly7

gwilly7 Cable Smoosher

In the asrock forum tonight they said you should be able to use instant flash to update bios but might need a graphics card. Better than having to have a 1st gen ryzen.

Soul_Est likes this.
  18. confusis

Site Staff SFF Workshop

I can test that one tomorrow. Unfortunately I jumped the gun and pre-flashed my Gigabyte AB350N itx board for testing.

Soul_Est and Hifihedgehog like this.
  19. Hifihedgehog

#19 Hifihedgehog, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    You could still possibly throw this $8 headless adapter (this one has worked well for me for 4K game streaming) on the second HDMI port and see if 4K at 60 Hz comes up as an option. It would at least answer whether or not HDMI 2.0 is detected. It will not, however, answer the more pressing question if it can produce stable, glitch-free video. Glitches happen very easily at such high video bandwidths with sub-standard cables (Chinese knockoff HDMI 2.0 cables with 4.5-star+ ratings on Amazon that I have personally tried will not properly display at 4K and 60 Hz) and motherboard trace routing. Having dealt with these firsthand, the 7th Gen Intel NUCs are a textbook example of how even HDMI 2.0-certified ports can easily go off the rails. As a mere sampling, to date, there are some 668 replies speaking about this very thing--a record for a NUC-related thread on the official Intel forums--mostly from confused, disappointed, or enraged customers.

20. confusis

Site Staff SFF Workshop

To be honest, I couldn't justify saying it can do HDMI 2.0 without it being a glitch free experience, so the adapter wouldn't really be worth it to me, even at $8. It's one of those things I just couldn't put my name to!

owliwar and Hifihedgehog like this.