CPU Raven Ridge has Vega!!!

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_reveals_ryzen_mobile_with_vega_gpu_hardware/1

I'm psyched!

This WILL be my HTPC build whenever I get around to it after these release. can't wait for performance comparisons with RX 550/560/460. Wonder how well it will work with DDR4 system memory.

As a side note I wish Raven Ridge could have a mSTX platform.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That's pretty exciting to see. Anyone able to extrapolate where "40% more GPU performance" matches up on the AMD discrete GPU scale? Hoping for RX 460 or equivalent, but not holding my breath.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Said it like 50x now but......Wonder how they're going to get around crappy memory bandwidth :p

all the stream cores in the world aren't going to match even a GTX 750 if they've only got 1/3 or 1/2 the bandwidth. I'm sure it will be much better than the Kaveri APU's but that ain't saying a heck of a lot.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Said it like 50x now but......Wonder how they're going to get around crappy memory bandwidth :p

all the stream cores in the world aren't going to match even a GTX 750 if they've only got 1/3 or 1/2 the bandwidth. I'm sure it will be much better than the Kaveri APU's but that ain't saying a heck of a lot.
Doesn't Vega's architecture have some sort of special memory controller or something? I coulda swore they were touting that on some slide a while back. Wonder if it will help.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Lifted from wctech

"As for graphics, the new core features 11 CUs or Compute Units. Considering that AMD’s CU design has till now packed a total of 64 stream processors per CU, the total core count will be 704 stream processors. The graphics chip is clocked at 800 MHz. The chip scores around 572.68 Mpix/s which is a good score so we can guess that a new architecture is involved. There have been many indications that Raven Ridge chips will pack the same graphics uArch as AMD’s Vega GPUs."

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017

Took intel long enough to catch up to Kaveri on the mainstream CPUs IMO. Atleast now that they pretty much have closed the gap with HD 600 series AMD can swoop in and say "lol nope" which will be satisfying to say the least. Glad to see AMD's purchase of ATI finally paying off in this segment of the graphics market.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Another one this one from Videocardz
"
, I think that the tease of HBCC (High Bandwidth Cache Controller) running on Rise of the Tomb Raider and seeing HBCC disabled and what I'm sure is the Radeon RX Vega running the game at 4K at 57.9FPS average, with 13.7FPS minimum. This puts the RX Vega at the speeds of the GTX 1080 11Gbps, but when HBCC is enabled - holy crap, there is a huge change.

AMD's upcoming Radeon RX Vega with HBCC enabled was running ROTT at 76FPS average (up from 57.9FPS without HBCC) but it's the minimum FPS that is where the magic happens: 49.1FPS with HBCC enabled, up from the 13.7FPS without HBCC. This is amazing, especially for enthusiast gamers like myself who want much better minimum FPS performance than brute force maximum FPS."

So any version or level of this is going to be very interesting when transposed to an APU...............

Reactions: SeñorDonut