Ram not working can’t post

LoqueGhostQuestioner

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
Just built a new system, but I cannot post, the q-led on the motherboard says that there is something wrong with the ram, as I am running a asus rog strix z390-I Mobo there are only two dimm slots, as this is dual channel memory, both have to be plugged in, I tried switching spots but I am stuck beyond that,

Please help

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Just built a new system, but I cannot post, the q-led on the motherboard says that there is something wrong with the ram, as I am running a asus rog strix z390-I Mobo there are only two dimm slots, as this is dual channel memory, both have to be plugged in, I tried switching spots but I am stuck beyond that,

Please help
Both do not need to be plugged in for troubleshooting, the DIMMs will work just fine separately. Dual channel just means you have matching sticks in both slots. Try each of them, one at a time, in both slots, and let us know the results.

LoqueGhostQuestioner

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
Both do not need to be plugged in for troubleshooting, the DIMMs will work just fine separately. Dual channel just means you have matching sticks in both slots. Try each of them, one at a time, in both slots, and let us know the results.
I tried switching for hours and suddenly IT just posted, do not know why, but ill take it,

Solved

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I tried switching for hours and suddenly IT just posted, do not know why, but ill take it,

Solved
Sounds good! It might not have been seated properly, maybe? If I were you I would run memtest for at least a full run before being happy with it. Not all memory errors show themselves all the time. There's always the possibility that a memory error is down to a bad slot (relatively rare) or memory controller (very rare) too. Is your memory kit on the QVL for the board? If not it might for some reason have failed to train the memory properly during the pre-POST setup, but that is exceedingly rare on a mature platform with broad support like Z390.

LoqueGhostQuestioner

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
Sounds good! It might not have been seated properly, maybe? If I were you I would run memtest for at least a full run before being happy with it. Not all memory errors show themselves all the time. There's always the possibility that a memory error is down to a bad slot (relatively rare) or memory controller (very rare) too. Is your memory kit on the QVL for the board? If not it might for some reason have failed to train the memory properly during the pre-POST setup, but that is exceedingly rare on a mature platform with broad support like Z390.
The Sticks are on the qvl, thats the first thing i checked, but i think it didnt train properly as the men ok switch did nothing, I have seated them in place properly as well, all I care about now is that it works, if this is relevantl information I’ll add it in: I booted with one stick and it worked, then I turned it off and seated the next one, no problem

Reactions: Valantar