Raijintek Thetis: Another small ATX case

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I was tipped off to this in the small ATX Ncase thread and decided to take the plunge and see what kind of sacrifices I need to make when moving into a similarly small case if Ncase does produce an ATX version.

I've rebuilt the insides of this case 3 or 4 times in this thread, I'll post a current pic here, but then everything that follows is from my first post:

Current build:

Original build:

Room for two 120mm fans up top, the case ships with brackets here for offset mounting a 240mm radiator, but I'm obviously not using it for this build.

All of the motherboard headers clear the fans just fine, I managed to run the USB3 front panel cord between the fans since they aren't square:

I found a little metal drive cage for my 2.5in SSDs, as there were only two mounting slots for 2.5in drives on the back and I haven't yet made a bracket to adapt this to the 3.5in drive mount on the top left of the case:

Everything fit pretty well, nothing too difficult about cable routing/etc. I was happy I was using a modular PSU and that there was room in front of the PSU to tuck all the cables.

Rear cable management is as expected, but visible due to the glass:

I could go crazy with custom-length cabling and clean it up a tad, but I don't think it's worth it. I'll probably wrap this rear panel with some vinyl or something at some point down the line, maybe order a solid metal one from Raijintek and save this as a spare should the front glass ever break.

Thermals are decent, card clocks all the way up and holds at 80C, CPU peaks around 65C. I did swap radiator fans to the PWM one that came with my NZXT radiator, and swapped it to pull through the radiator exhausting out just to make the fan noise a tad quieter.

As-is, the system is inaudible under normal use and takes ~6-7min to return to silent after it heatsoaks during gaming/etc.

Full album here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/acquacow/albums/72157689087933424

-- Dave

Last edited:

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Once the 1080Ti refresh happens and there are some cheap cards on the market, I plan on dropping a full water loop in here on a 240 and 120mm radiator.

I'm not going to bother trying to find a water block for a 980Ti =P

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nice setup indeed.

Your thermals are decent, however the time required by your setup to come back to idle temperature (ie 6-7 min) is quite long.
That is proving lack of hot air exhaust. (Due to plain front/side/bottom panels)

I didn’t time precisely but in my cerberus-x this time to cool down is about 2 min (and less).

Reactions: Biowarejak

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've just tested going out Assassin creed origins. It took around 1 min to come back to near silent..:)

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
I'm really interested in this case as I still want to build a Threadripper that isn't just some kind of freakshow sized build. :)

Your top fans also look like they're configured for intakes, you might have better results flipping them.

Reactions: Mtthwmths

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm really interested in this case as I still want to build a Threadripper that isn't just some kind of freakshow sized build. :)

Your top fans also look like they're configured for intakes, you might have better results flipping them.
Threadripper inside a thetis??? Really??? You have no real intake for cpu cooling or proper exhaust..it will throttle hard..:)

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017

Figured I have to share mine now. I still have more work I have to replace the gpu cables with sheorter ones I already made. I also have to install the lcd panel I have for the front glass.

Specs
Intel i9 7900x
Evga gtx 1080 ti ftw3
Seasonic focus gold 850w
2 x 3tb seagate 7200
1tb Sandisk ultra SSD
4 x 8gb rgb g skill 3200
Asus prime delux motherboard
3 x corsair hd120 rans
Corsair commander pro and node

Like how I blacked out the back panel yeah it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I must admit Thetis has a nice looking...

However what about temperature of your 7900x inside...you have literally no intake of fresh air for it

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I must admit Thetis has a nice looking...

However what about temperature of your 7900x inside...you have literally no intake of fresh air for it
it is nice and cheap too. But be careful those edges are so sharp i have cut myself so many times. I could never resale the case now my dna is all over it. My temps are around 30-32C once warmed up and usually around 60-70C when working it. I haven't stressed it to much, but no issues with throttling or anything under my daily use. Could always try a prime95 sometime. I do have one of the biggest air coolers you can put on it. I also have one of the smallest atx power supplies besides the SFX line. My GPU runs quite cool since it see most of the cool air from the top fans. I only really hear my gpu fans on it.

Reactions: Phuncz

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Yep! Totally in the plans until I saw the Cerberus-X going live. Now I'm an impatiently waiting owner of a Red one...
Yeah I would picked one up but $300 usd for the full atx version and everything I need to to pricey for me. I keep my cost of my cases around 200 max.

Last edited:

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017

So I moved some things around, SSD cage is now top left and I put an intake fan on the very bottom just to test some things out. It didn't change any of my temps, so I'll probably remove it, or test with it as an exhaust fan.

I definitely have positive pressure in the case, as I can feel cool air exiting all of the rear vents when things are spun up, not sure I can do much better there.

Temps are stable and I've been overclocking quite a bit.

I have my GTX-980TI SC+ up to 1480 base clock now while gaming. Temps are maxing out around 75C at 60% fan on the GPU
My 5930K is up at 4GHz right now and holding at 65-67C under load on the 120mm radiator.

I'm just waiting for the next nvidia revision to come out so that there are some cheap 1080Tis on the market. At that time I'll grab a water block for it and my CPU and put in a 240mm and 120mm radiator for a full loop.

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
looks to me that with a SFX psu , one could squeeze a 240mm rad on the bottom....

then take out the caddy, put the res+pump there, another 240mm on top, and a SLI Matx..... profit.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
looks to me that with a SFX psu , one could squeeze a 240mm rad on the bottom....

then take out the caddy, put the res+pump there, another 240mm on top, and a SLI Matx..... profit.
Easy to write i must admit..:)
It's just to almsot redo all the case..:)