GPU Radeon PRO WX5100 - my thoughts

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Finished doing a couple builds with these. They are intended for signage methinks (although Radeon Pro Render for Solid Works is tempting for me) but they are small form factor and have four DVI ports so thought I would give some impressions.

Performance you can look up reviews, but they seem to be slightly faster than a 1050ti with my real world tests on my bench, which is a good thing.

Only takes up a single slot (duh) and is powered off the PCIE slot. It sips power and with an i7 8700 my system never broke 110w which makes this GPU much for efficient than the 1050ti...which astounds me.

GPU sticks out about 4mm past a mini-ITX motherboard, making it almost precisely the same length once you consider the clip on a 24 pin. It does exhaust out the front and a little in the back.

The fans are about the cheapest looking units I have seen. They are about 50mm and I was sure this card was going to scream, but actually they are quiet, and even at full bore with Furmark looped they stay quieter than the NHl9i's NF-A14.

The reason for the silence is that they don't spin fast and the card gets very hot. Too hot to touch, but this is with furmark and the paid version of super position running at max...far beyond what the card is designed for. Still, no resets or instability due to heat.

Drivers seemed stable with the tests I ran and installed easily enough although it took a very long time. I used the Professional package instead of the gamer oriented package with Radeon Relive.

I couldn't switch between the DP port inputs and have my monitor recognized without installing the drivers. A non-issue for most.

One nitpick...I ordered both new from a reputable company which I trust. One of the cards was obviously a refurbished unit, with the fan having some dust in it and it was audible...sounded like it was scraping. The reason I bring this up is because I believe AMD to have sent it back to the distributor in this condition. So if you get a fan that makes any noise at all...you should think about sending it back.

They are handsome looking cards, especially the newer orange edged PCB:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Too hot to touch starts at 45c my friend :p

Regarding the refurb cards - does AMD do the refurbs, or are the cards made and thus refurb'd by a partner (i.e. Sapphire)?

Reactions: AleksandarK

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
the size of this fan is so weird. its almost lost in the middle there
but radeon pro line is so pretty too bad they totally forgot brazil :/

radeon pro plz come to brazil

Reactions: Josh | NFC

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I agree about the fan. The card itself looks nice (if you like something very clean and minimal) but the fan is just, ugh. Looks much better in my WX4100 though :p