Question: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact

d3mi

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Gold Supporter
New User
Nov 24, 2019
hi guys, i'm new in this forum, and i builded several sff pc's.

now i want to ask something about the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact, it will fit in the ncase m1.

but someone in youtube (i dont remember) said, that the soundcard is removable and it is an mini pci slot?

can someone confirm that?

YESWEKEN

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2019
Seems like that video answers a lot of your questions, important to note though, he says without the SODIMM.2 card, the board has no M.2 slots. I do not know if you can slot a SSD into the sound card slot though.... I suspect it is a custom solution for the supreme FX chip.

The board definitely fits in a NCASE M1 though, but I hear that some of the cables like front panel usb and audio may be interfered with if installing bottom 120mm fans...

dabster

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2019
hi guys, i'm new in this forum, and i builded several sff pc's.

now i want to ask something about the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact, it will fit in the ncase m1.

but someone in youtube (i dont remember) said, that the soundcard is removable and it is an mini pci slot?

can someone confirm that?

Yes it fits. You don't have to remove the sound card, and it is removable. Pretty sure you can't use the slot for anything else. Not sure about the front audio, I never got back to trying to plug the front audio into the sound card. Front panel USB is fine . This is my build:

TrustUK

Efficiency Noob
Nov 29, 2020
I like that motherboard for my h400, not sure why NZXT doesn't make it anymore as it is the best size for MiniITX with some decent cooling or Micro but there practically no decent matx boards).

1) Someone on amazon said that you cannot use the RGB Header below the gpu socket as it won't fit being so close to it, is that the case? I cannot find this anywhere and looking at the photo seems one cannot use any of them

2) The M2 Tray seems like a BBQ in that position...it is mm from the GPU...not sure what they were thinking there.

I like the board, I have a z370i now which is full optional, including type C front header, B550i is great but has no RGB on the shroud like mine, so I was looking at this one to pair with a 5900x (unless Intel releases specs of rocket lake before January :D )

Thank you!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I have the Impact mobo...

You can use any of the headers you want, you just may have to gently bend some of the wires...

Front panel audio header easier to plug in if you take the audio card off to do so, and that audio card is the only thing intended for that slot (even though it looks like a M.2 slot)...

My M.2 NVMe SSDs in the SO-DIMM.2 daughtercard are sitting at 60°C right now, but I just got done playing WoW for awhile, and my Fractal Era is a bit of a hotbox...

Looking to move into a H280 / Mesh-Licious (14.5L) soon(ish), but also looking at the C4-SFX (12.77L) for the future, and there is the W1 (15.6L) with the SPK...

If someone would come out with a 6800 XT Nano & someone else with a full-cover water block & back plate; then I could build a sweet little 10L micro tower with a 240x30mm radiator to cool it all...!

It's all about that PPL score...!!! ;^p