Power Supply Question about power usage and more?

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
Hello forum.

Don't know if any of you guys have a sff case with a 8700 non k. I have really been trying to find similar setups.

I have the cpu as mentioned
Asus STRIX-I z370 gaming
Ram at 3200mhz (lpx 16gb)
M.2 ssd
Nano psu 160w
Noctua nh-l9i cooler
And it's in a streacom f1c ws Evo case with mod for more air.

Well, how do you guys with 160w plex and Pico psu's stay within the range? When Intel turbo boost kicks in there's short power max of over 100w (120w in my case)?

Please share with me, what kind of settings I should look into as I'm quite new to this size for a pc :)

Thanks!

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
well for one, the psu you mentioned is rated for 160w, but that doesn't mean its peak power is 160w. Essentially, if you need or have a short burst that is over 160w, it will be fine. Really, the only TDPs you need to worry about, as Josh and many others have mentioned on this forum, is the CPU TDP and the graphics card TDP. You didn't list a graphics card, so I'm assuming your planning on using the integrated graphics with the CPU.

A quick check at the 8700 spec page shows that the TDP is 65w. You should be fine.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
You didn't list a graphics card, so I'm assuming your planning on using the integrated graphics with the CPU.

A quick check at the 8700 spec page shows that the TDP is 65w. You should be fine.

I'm doing Onboard graphics yes, I'm not a gamer.
I guess I am fine then, but I can't run a cpu stress test with Intel xtu, it gets to hot within minutes. Is that normal for everyone with these small builds using the noctua as cooler?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
TDP is not total power draw of the component, it's how much power can effectively be shed through the heatsink. Since the power draw can be larger than the available heat transfer, that's why things get hot.

Why are you stressing your CPU for fun? Run it under normal workload and see how the system responds. If not so well, then you may need to boost your cooling solution.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
TDP may not be the total power draw of any certain component, but it gives you a good idea of cooling and what power to expect.

I'm doing Onboard graphics yes, I'm not a gamer.
I guess I am fine then, but I can't run a cpu stress test with Intel xtu, it gets to hot within minutes. Is that normal for everyone with these small builds using the noctua as cooler?

Also, just because you aren't a gamer, doesn't mean you won't ever use or need a graphics card. It all depends on what you are going to use the computer for.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
TDP is not total power draw of the component, it's how much power can effectively be shed through the heatsink. Since the power draw can be larger than the available heat transfer, that's why things get hot.

Why are you stressing your CPU for fun? Run it under normal workload and see how the system responds. If not so well, then you may need to boost your cooling solution.

Didn't know that, thanks.
I'm not stressing it for fun, I do because I read that it's good to make tests after a new build is done. To see if things run good. With high performence mode wich my audio program force it to when open, I get temps from 40 to 65 depending on how big the project is. Fine I guess.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
, just because you aren't a gamer, doesn't mean you won't ever use or need a graphics card. It all depends on what you are going to use the computer for.

I'm well aware of that. I'm making music and nothing else (browsing and emailing ofc) . Only pc's I ever had with a graphics card where the laptops I bought over the years.

That's why I have my concern about power in the first place, since my audio application forces cpu to run at 100% as a standart setting. It does that to keep it snap when having alot of plugins etc in use. It's the windows power management setting it's forcing to be at highest instead of balanced.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
I'm well aware of that. I'm making music and nothing else (browsing and emailing ofc) . Only pc's I ever had with a graphics card where the laptops I bought over the years.

That's why I have my concern about power in the first place, since my audio application forces cpu to run at 100% as a standart setting. It does that to keep it snap when having alot of plugins etc in use. It's the windows power management setting it's forcing to be at highest instead of balanced.

No offense, but that's terrible programming if the program has to run at 100% cpu usage just to function normally. I would just limit the program to a certain number of processors if i was in your case.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
No offense, but that's terrible programming if the program has to run at 100% cpu usage just to function normally. I would just limit the program to a certain number of processors if i was in your case.

I see what you mean, and in program settings I can disable this forced power mode, so that my pc will stay at balanced mode when I'm producing.
Cause when I look at advanced settings for windows high performance power plan, the cpu min is set default to 100% and max st the same. Monitoring the cores they all stay at 4.3 ghz when program is open. As soon as I close it, windows goes back on balanced mode, where my cpu idles very low again.
I could disable this force mode, the cpu will still turbo boost if the power is needed or? Since balanced is set as 5% min and 100% max cpu power?

BTW thank you for helping!

Mar 6, 2017
Can you see what voltage it's pulling at turbo and what it's clocking at? Then you could plug it into Outervision. Assuming the specs you listed are all that's in there, I got 163W at 4.6GHz (the clock listed on the specs page) but it goes up to 182W if it's got a 10% overvolt.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
Can you see what voltage it's pulling at turbo and what it's clocking at? Then you could plug it into Outervision. Assuming the specs you listed are all that's in there, I got 163W at 4.6GHz (the clock listed on the specs page) but it goes up to 182W if it's got a 10% overvolt.

Yeah, you mean if I monitor when it's on full load right? Because that's vcore 1380 and vid 1515 (wich i don't know what is).
All cores running 4299mhz at same time.

I actually used outervision calculator before buying my parts. But they set the cpu to 1.2v and that's not the actual case with the coffee lake processors. Now I just set it to 1.3v. You can see here: https://outervision.com/b/SrQ9cJ

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah, you mean if I monitor when it's on full load right? Because that's vcore 1380 and vid 1515 (wich i don't know what is).
All crew running 4299mhz at same time.

I actually used outervision calculator before buying my parts. But they set the cpu to 1.2v and that's not the actual case with the coffee lake processors. Now I just set it to 1.3v. You can see here: https://outervision.com/b/SrQ9cJ

Odd, if I take that and change the speed to 4.3GHz and Vcore to 1.38V, it only says 149W load. But both pico and HDPlex 160W DC-ATX units are rated for 200W peak, so you'll probably be fine. You could always grab a Kill-A-Watt and see how much it's drawing from the wall.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
Odd, if I take that and change the speed to 4.3GHz and Vcore to 1.38V, it only says 149W load. But both pico and HDPlex 160W DC-ATX units are rated for 200W peak, so you'll probably be fine. You could always grab a Kill-A-Watt and see how much it's drawing from the wall.

My psu is from streacom 160w nano.
I don't have a meter to measure the power from the wall, sorry.

But with all cores running 4.3ghz I haven't seen problems so far. But I would love to know if I'm doing harm to my system. And if I need to underclock or something?

Just a bit concerned because it didn't pass the cpu stress test for even one minute.

But does the thermall throttling and 93c temp in stress test even has something to do with the psu?

Mar 6, 2017
My psu is from streacom 160w nano.
I don't have a meter to measure the power from the wall, sorry.

But with all cores running 4.3ghz I haven't seen problems so far. But I would love to know if I'm doing harm to my system. And if I need to underclock or something?

Just a bit concerned because it didn't pass the cpu stress test for even one minute.

But does the thermall throttling and 93c temp in stress test even has something to do with the psu?

Well that one peaks at only 160W so I'd be careful. The thermal throttling is because you hit 93c, which shouldn't have anything to do with the power supply; the not passing could be from that overheating or instability due to insufficient power. I'd grab a Kill-A-Watt or similar if I were you, and report back with your findings as well as double check that your cooler's installed properly (did you take off that plastic bit on the bottom, did you put on enough thermal paste, is it locked down tight, etc) What brick are you using?

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
Well that one peaks at only 160W so I'd be careful. The thermal throttling is because you hit 93c, which shouldn't have anything to do with the power supply; the not passing could be from that overheating or instability due to insufficient power. I'd grab a Kill-A-Watt or similar if I were you, and report back with your findings as well as double check that your cooler's installed properly (did you take off that plastic bit on the bottom, did you put on enough thermal paste, is it locked down tight, etc) What brick are you using?

Oh, so maybe I should turn down that short turbo boost max?
I think it's installed correctly, I've done it 2 times with the first motherboard (asrock) and now this Asus I got instead. Used the noctua thermal paste i got with the cooler.
It stays idle at 32-36c and 45-65 when loading in my music application.

The power powerbrick is the one that comes with the psu from streacom.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
Hmm, wouldn't be surprised. If you can't get a power meter, try turning down the short turbo max and see what happens.

I'll see if I can get one in the Christmas, maybe my father have one. Yeah, I will try. So you by chance know what happens with the performence I set the short power max to 65w like normal turbo boost watt?

Mar 6, 2017
I'll see if I can get one in the Christmas, maybe my father have one. Yeah, I will try. So you by chance know what happens with the performence I set the short power max to 65w like normal turbo boost watt?

If you lower the power limit, the performance will be lowered, but 65W is probably not low enough to be noticeable. There's only one way to find out though.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
If you lower the power limit, the performance will be lowered, but 65W is probably not low enough to be noticeable. There's only one way to find out though.
If it's not noticeable, it could be a good idea. I have an option for lowering in xtu, hope I have the same option in bios. Will find out when I get home again (Christmas at my parrents).
Anyway, I will give you an update!

Merry christmas

Reactions: SeñorDonut