Concept Purely Integrated Graphics Case

Do you own an integrated graphics system, planing to build one, or is just interested?

• Yes

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
I was thinking of designing a small case for people who want a build to run only on integrated graphics. I know that integrated graphics aren't as powerful as a fully-fledged graphics card, but according to most leaks, the next integrated graphics will ditch the Radeon graphics and add actual GPU cores inside of the chips, therefore making them much more powerful. So finally, here is my question. How many of you would you invest in an integrated graphics gaming machine or planning to, as knowing information for my case will surely help.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I was thinking of designing a small case for people who want a build to run only on integrated graphics. I know that integrated graphics aren't as powerful as a fully-fledged graphics card, but according to most leaks, the next integrated graphics will ditch the Radeon graphics and add actual GPU cores inside of the chips, therefore making them much more powerful. So finally, here is my question. How many of you would you invest in an integrated graphics gaming machine or planning to, as knowing information for my case will surely help.

My opinion is: regardless of the capability of the iGPU, there's always an interest/market for such builds. The hard thing is to measure how big it is.

Reactions: Bean Nuts

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Had one, 3400g, was good enough the get me by when I couldn't get a GPU, but I wouldn't use an iGPU system if I had a choice.

Gaming was a crapshoot, but they're fine for office and basic media PC's tho.

Maybe the next gen stuff will be better, who knows

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Planing the case to be, get this: 1.85 liters. And yes, this is a case is aimed towards something to compete against the M1 Mac Mini by Apple. Take it as a higher-value alternative.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
I love the idea of a APU build, but the current gen stuff sucks. I am hoping that the incoming APU processors are much better. At that point I think APU builds may take off finally. But I would most likely make my own case.

Reactions: Bean Nuts

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
Hard to know until next gen APUs actually come out and when fully priced out, compare it all to the performance of a steam deck. At least that will be my comparison with my personal use case. I do have an apu only for retro gaming right now.

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Hard to know until next gen APUs actually come out and when fully priced out, compare it all to the performance of a steam deck. At least that will be my comparison with my personal use case. I do have an apu only for retro gaming right now.
Ye, but it's better to make a case before this launch as probably people would start wanting to make builds like these.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
the next integrated graphics will ditch the Radeon graphics and add actual GPU cores inside of the chips

It will still be Radeon, but RDNA (PS5/Series S/X) architecture instead of GCN (PS4/One S/X).

But of course, demand is there I think. Now it's 720p/60fps maybe soon 1080p/60fps... 1.85L? With a regular mini-itx board? Internal PSU?

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
It will still be Radeon, but RDNA (PS5/Series S/X) architecture instead of GCN (PS4/One S/X).

But of course, demand is there I think. Now it's 720p/60fps maybe soon 1080p/60fps... 1.85L? With a regular mini-itx board? Internal PSU?
Yep, you will soon see renders. The internal PSU will only be 250 (or 200watts) so it won't be massive and it will most definitely fit.

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
The case is made to be as thin as possible so you are constrained to only Noctua's 37mm CPU cooler. I might change the design for the case to be thicker, to accommodate up to a 47mm cooler, or underside storage, but I want to make this most similar to the Apple Mac Mini.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Mini-ITX and 1.85L with internal PSU is interesting, but I would look into NUC's... since you will not need the x16 PCIe-Slot and rely on the iGPU.

Currently the most powerful iGPU available is the Intel Xe with 96 EU's (i7-1165G7). It is only available in mobile and NUC's... LGA 1200/1700 so far only got up to 32EU's. AMD's 'Renoir' (Ryzen 4000) also didn't fully release for Desktop... with a NUC Board even 1L could be possible.

I recommend this thread (maybe you have already found it). Also: yesterday I posted a build with a NUC board. It's a little large with 2L but that's because of the cooling solution and ATX-PSU ;)

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Mini-ITX and 1.85L with internal PSU is interesting, but I would look into NUC's... since you will not need the x16 PCIe-Slot and rely on the iGPU.

Currently the most powerful iGPU available is the Intel Xe with 96 EU's (i7-1165G7). It is only available in mobile and NUC's... LGA 1200/1700 so far only got up to 32EU's. AMD's 'Renoir' (Ryzen 4000) also didn't fully release for Desktop... with a NUC Board even 1L could be possible.

I recommend this thread (maybe you have already found it). Also: yesterday I posted a build with a NUC board. It's a little large with 2L but that's because of the cooling solution and ATX-PSU ;)
Yes, but yet I want it to be more beginner-friendly. I don't want people to purchase special boards that most likely are out of stock, or have crappy bluetooth/wifi (not that they may have this issue) The thing is having the ability to choose more kinds of boards (mini itx) is a lot more simple, and you can set yourself a budget, unlike these smaller NUC boards. (there is variety, but they are costly)

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Actually, to be fair, if you want to make the most absolute tiny computer, that's cool, as these NUC boards are more power-efficient, but since I am sticking to the chunkier option, what should the PSU wattage be? 200 watts or 250 watts? AMD APUS consume less wattage than its rival, but yet we have to keep in mind Intel as well.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Take a look at r/SFF, since the release of the 5000 series APUs there are a lot of people building APU only systems. The Inwin Chopin, which is one of the best APU cases currently available, are now impossible to find and prices are rising. I think there is definitely a market for an APU focused case.

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Take a look at r/SFF, since the release of the 5000 series APUs there are a lot of people building APU only systems. The Inwin Chopin, which is one of the best APU cases currently available, are now impossible to find and prices are rising. I think there is definitely a market for an APU focused case.
Thanks for the Intel, will look into it.

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
So basically, I have to defeat the Inwin Chopin case. Already looking forward to beating it, considering that my PC case will have much better build quality, and will include a PSU so better value.

Reactions: rfarmer

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Alright, this is for everyone: The company name is Romanum

Romanum S1 --------------------------

1.8 liters interior, 2 - 2.1 liters exterior
Rounded edges (Mac Mini Vibes)
Will come in three colors: Black, Silver Grey, and Silver
Will come with a 250-watt power supply (brick or integrated not sure)
Dimensions are 7.5in x 7.5in x 2.24in or 190mm x 190mm x 57mm
Will feature 2 x USB 3.1 (or 3.0) ports and 1 SD Card slot
All-aluminum
chassis with 3 (or 2) mm thick panels
Price aim of 100$

Romanum S1X ------------------------​

2.3 liters interior 2.4 - 2.5 liters exterior
Same specs as Romanum S1 in color, power supply, IO, and build material
WIll be the bigger brother of Romanum S1 (7.5in x 7.5in x 2.74in or 190mm x 190mm x 70mm)
The added height means you can include a bigger cooler or add external storage below the motherboard.
[Would be interesting for someone to try to fit a single-slot graphics card in this in the future :) ]
Price aim of 120$

Reactions: Klasik and rfarmer

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
One concept I want to find is something I can use as a home server that I can connect my old Haswell board to with 2 or so HDDs,

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
One concept I want to find is something I can use as a home server that I can connect my old Haswell board to with 2 or so HDDs,
Ok, I will look into it. Maybe something like an "S1Z". That is 3 inches thick which will allow accommodation for actual hardrives compared to the S1X which can accompany only SSDs

Reactions: robojim