PSA - SILIFLEX Riser Instructions

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hello MINI family members.

It is really exciting to build a new PC, and sometimes in our excitement we rush and make mistakes.

The NFC SILIFLEX Riser needs to be installed correctly. If it is not, it will cause a no-boot at best, or, at worst, melt your motherboard. At the very worst it will also kill your GPU.

I've just had my sixth customer with a melted motherboard because in their excitement to get everything together, they didn't follow instructions and incorrectly installed the riser. I have posted instructions on my website, in YouTube videos, made posts about it in the megathreads, but I think a sticky is in order.
  • The riser has two pieces, the KEY and the RIBBON.
  • The KEY and the RIBBON both need to be installed correctly. Plugging them in upside down can cause catastrophic failure.
  • The KEY and the RIBBON both have the instructions on how to install them correctly printed on them.
  • The KEY and the RIBBON both have arrows printed on them showing which orientation they need to be installed.

The common mistake these customers had, was reading the instructions on the RIBBON, but failing to read the instructions on the KEY. In all of the cases with hardware damage the KEY was plugged in upside-down.

I am sorry it took me so long to make this post--I felt that the instructions were obvious and I didn't want to embarrass anyone by making a post right after troubleshooting, but if I can prevent this from happening from one more person with a simple post, then it is worth it.

Peace to you all and happy building!

Last edited by a moderator:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So there's probably a reason why you haven't done this already, but what about shipping the riser with the ribbon and key already connected? Put a bit of glue in to keep it in place, if necessary.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So there's probably a reason why you haven't done this already, but what about shipping the riser with the ribbon and key already connected? Put a bit of glue in to keep it in place, if necessary.

I do have two reasons. I'm hoping this little PSA is enough to ward off the last little chance of having this happen. So far we have a pretty good record, all things considered. :)

Peace

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
And one other reason being?

My two reasons are mysterious, and powerful. The world simply isn't ready for me to release this type of knowledge.

I pray I am strong enough to shoulder this burden...

For now using the RUNES OF WARNING and RUNES OF INSTRUCTION printed on the riser and the key will have to suffice.

Reactions: el01 and rfarmer

wflaw

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 15, 2018
I'm sorry I just have to say it. Us menfolk just can not be bothered with worldly things like reading instructions and taking responsibility for our actions!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm sorry I just have to say it. Us menfolk just can not be bothered with worldly things like reading instructions and taking responsibility for our actions!

Yeah, if I install it backward and it breaks my PC, It shouldn't be my fault.

This is 2019! ALL hardware should be backwards compatible!

XD