PSA: NCASE does not have an instagram presence.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Apparently someone is pretending to be us on instagram under the username "ncasedesign," a name I have registered on reddit, youtube and a couple of forums. The instagram account is not me (or wahaha360), however, and we have no knowledge of who they are. It doesn't seem malicious, but it really isn't kosher to imply that they're in any way an official account run by us.

We don't have a problem with people posting as fans, of course, but please don't pretend you are us or speak for us.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Good that you make this known. Have you contacted Instagram about this ?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yikes, they're even speaking as you in the comments and such. Being a fan and enthusiastic is great but misrepresenting in this way is bad.

The shame of it is that it really puts a burden on creators to keep an eye out for this sort of thing, and register accounts as a protective measure more than anything else.

Dedaciai

Trash Compacter
Jan 31, 2016
Whoa, @Necere ! Thought this was you and I do follow this Instagram account. They don't post very often...will have to unfollow since it is not the legit NCASE account. Bummer... :(

Having said that, I wish NCASE did have an Instagram account; it has a huge fan base especially with fan submissions on Insta accounts mitxlove and of course sffpc. :)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Try replying to one of the posts asking them to contact you directly - we had a similar issue and through discussion brought them on board as our official IG presence.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Good that you make this known. Have you contacted Instagram about this ?
Not yet, and hopefully we won't have to. I think this falls under their rules as a claim of trademark violation, which requires us to provide proof of trademark registration... which is something we don't have yet.

Try replying to one of the posts asking them to contact you directly - we had a similar issue and through discussion brought them on board as our official IG presence.
SFFPC? I was wondering about that. I half wonder if it's not the same person that runs both, then.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

I mean, this worked out awesome for everyone involved because what he was doing basically aligned with what we would have been doing had we been doing it ourselves. But an Instagram account for a business selling stuff is pretty darn different - our profile is just a feed of cool pictures and information. A profile claiming to be NCASE is going to be something people rely on for information as customers, and that they'll associate with the brand directly.

The marginal effect is way different, too - if a few folks get disenchanted with SFF Network because of something else, well, whatever, we have tens of thousands of unique visitors at any given week/month. But if a few feel the same about NCASE, well, that's potentially a big business liability since the scale is so much smaller.

Basically, the risk is pretty high not only from this person doing something malicious, but even from just misrepresenting NCASE's views/plans, or not being as diligent in answering questions and directing them to NCASE proper as NCASE would themselves. So I really do hope this gets figured out quickly...

(And I've made sure that Kimera Industries owns our names on the most popular social media sites, as well. Would encourage everyone working on a project to do so, as encountering this sort of thing can't be any fun at all)

Not yet, and hopefully we won't have to. I think this falls under their rules as a claim of trademark violation, which requires us to provide proof of trademark registration... which is something we don't have yet.

This isn't actually the case - registration is helpful because it formalizes the validity of a trademark before you might have to protect it (especially from people challenging its validity to begin with) so it's more a pre-emptive thing than anything else. But in the US, at least, you gain the rights to a trademark simply by using one.

More specifically, if you can demonstrate original prior use, and you're using it actively now, it's considered to be yours for the most part. I don't know what the reporting and enforcement schemes are for companies like Instagram, but I have no doubt that you fulfill that fundamental definition. I just don't know that Instagram will care given that you aren't a very big company.

EDIT: I don't use Instagram, but if it has reporting functionality, I'd encourage anyone reading this who's on the platform to report the account in question as fraudulent. A sea of folks calling them out might get more action from Facebook when compared to one guy on the internet saying it's his.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
whilst i don't use Instagram i do wonder if its not just worth someone posting a link to this thread in the comments of every picture? NFI what the consequences would / wouldn't be though

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
whilst i don't use Instagram i do wonder if its not just worth someone posting a link to this thread in the comments of every picture? NFI what the consequences would / wouldn't be though

I think it would just get marked as spam by the "owner" of the page. The best way to deal with this is for everyone of us with an Instagram account (and the app) to report them for imitation and for NCASE to file a direct complaint with Instagram.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I believe a friendly 'cease and desist' message would be better - the last thing Necere will want is a PR disaster after the community aggressively chases a ban of the user.

There is also the opportunity through communication for NCase to take ownership of the account to protect it's IP.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, I don't want to make a big deal over it, and I would discourage anyone from reporting or spamming the account. I'll see about contacting them myself.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
So what you're saying is, launch a Kickstarter to hire an assassination team...?

I think the laid back approach is always the best initial approach.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Move up the chain and expand the executions to include family, acquaintances, pets etc. :p

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
Apparently someone is pretending to be us on instagram under the username "ncasedesign," a name I have registered on reddit, youtube and a couple of forums. The instagram account is not me (or wahaha360), however, and we have no knowledge of who they are. It doesn't seem malicious, but it really isn't kosher to imply that they're in any way an official account run by us.

We don't have a problem with people posting as fans, of course, but please don't pretend you are us or speak for us.
I am completely confused.... I have been in occasional contact with the guy running "ncasedesign" for a few months now (he stopped chatting in our group messages about a month or two ago however) he goes by Dan, he was "introduced" to me by an Instagram buddy who says that the Instagram account reached out to him through DM... We've been speaking to him thinking that he was a part of Ncase for months! He was very convincing.. damn I feel duped..

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I am completely confused.... I have been in occasional contact with the guy running "ncasedesign" for a few months now (he stopped chatting in our group messages about a month or two ago however) he goes by Dan, he was "introduced" to me by an Instagram buddy who says that the Instagram account reached out to him through DM... We've been speaking to him thinking that he was a part of Ncase for months! He was very convincing.. damn I feel duped..

This is freaky. I wonder what this individual masquerading as NCASE is hoping to get from this.

(It's also discomforting that it took so long for anyone to realize this was even happening.)