• RGB Version (No controller) - 319 USD

Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
The $299 starting point is probably THE most expensive sff case to date.
And that's just the starting point.

I absolutely love the design, but the price point and to-be-proven thermals is really putting me off.

Reactions: AlexTzone

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I think they have answered the costing of this case. It is expensive because the finish that they envision for this case requires expensive manufacturing techniques. This is priced way out of my league so it means I am not the target market. I still visit this thread and the updates on /r sffpc because I like the design and it really looks premium.

I dont remember anything though on the thermals but I think it will be tested once the prototype comes in.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
when you do thermal test, please also keep in mind your customers who might be in warmer climates. where the ambient temperature is about 30 degrees c or higher.

We'll post our ambient temperatures so that you guys have a comparison measure.

Wheres the Monday RGB update?

Im waiting....

Wops did I say I would post this on Monday? Perhaps I did, sorry for that. Going to post it today :D

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
The $299 starting point is probably THE most expensive sff case to date.
And that's just the starting point.

I absolutely love the design, but the price point and to-be-proven thermals is really putting me off.

I think they have answered the costing of this case. It is expensive because the finish that they envision for this case requires expensive manufacturing techniques. This is priced way out of my league so it means I am not the target market. I still visit this thread and the updates on /r sffpc because I like the design and it really looks premium.

I dont remember anything though on the thermals but I think it will be tested once the prototype comes in.

Precisely. If we could make the case cheaper, we would. The good thing is that our stuff will get cheaper as we gain economic of scale in the future (if everything goes well and dandy during Kickstarter) :thumb:

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hey guys, time for a flashy update! :cool:

The custom RGBW setup for MJOLNIR I has arrived, really happy with the end results. Check it out:

Lighting specs
  • LED type: 5050 RGBW
  • LEDs / meter: 60
  • Individually addressable: yes
  • Number of colors: 256
  • Number of presets: 200
  • Waterproofing: IP65
  • Fixture: adhesive tape (3M)
  • LED Controller: controlled from your phone (App: MagicLed)
  • Power source: 4-pin Molex from your PSU

To be confirmed
  • Compatibility with 3rd party software (AuraSync, etc...)

What do you guys think? Imagine how this will look inside MJOLNIR I once it's assembled!!

Best,
Alex

Last edited:

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Molex? Blerrgh! Surely a SATA power connector would be preferable. Molex is like a cockroach... it just won't die!

It's possible to do this, picked Molex because it felt convenient. What would be the benefit of powering the LED Controller through a SATA power connector?

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
It's possible to do this, picked Molex because it felt convenient. What would be the benefit of powering the LED Controller through a SATA power connector?

Well they do the same thing obviously, it's just molex is a PITA connector to use... pins are always getting pushed out, and I find it's only ever LED strips or older internal devices that still use them, meaning you would probably need to add an extension from a SATA power connector anyway, or use an entirely new cable on your PSU just to use one single molex connector. And with SFF, space is obviously at a premium.

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
The progress is looking good, and the unibody frame is looking especially amazing!
Any chance of a front view sneak peek with the RGB kit installed?

In regards to the molex in the RGB kit i agree with the consensus here though - avoid molex like the plague if that's an option.
Molex should only be used for legacy compatibility at this point - and nobody will be running molex powered hardware in this case.

The PSU's that will be used in this case ship with separate cables for molex/SATA power. Most people will likely already be using sata power for their SSD/HDDs (unless they've gone full M.2). In effect, if it was SATA powered, this means you can just hook up the kit to a cable that's already there, instead of having to add a separate, distinct molex cable only to power the RGB kit. Not having to do this would free up a lot of space. Optionally you could go the molex adapter route, but that also eats more space, and even worse, is notorious for being unsafe.

On another note, keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to the final and assembled prototype :)

Edit: I didnt think of using 4-pin PWM, but after reading Thehack's suggestion I agree that this is ultimately the best option in a premium case.

Last edited:

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
The convenience you speak of is actually the inconvenience as it's harder to find a molex plug on your PSU vs a SATA power connector. At least that's what I think atomicus was getting at.

Well they do the same thing obviously, it's just molex is a PITA connector to use... pins are always getting pushed out, and I find it's only ever LED strips or older internal devices that still use them, meaning you would probably need to add an extension from a SATA power connector anyway, or use an entirely new cable on your PSU just to use one single molex connector. And with SFF, space is obviously at a premium.

The progress is looking good, and the unibody frame is looking especially amazing!
Any chance of a front view sneak peek with the RGB kit installed?

In regards to the molex in the RGB kit i agree with the consensus here though - avoid molex like the plague if that's an option.
Molex should only be used for legacy compatibility at this point - and nobody will be running molex powered hardware in this case.

The PSU's that will be used in this case ship with separate cables for molex/SATA power. Most people will likely already be using sata power for their SSD/HDDs (unless they've gone full M.2). In effect, if it was SATA powered, this means you can just hook up the kit to a cable that's already there, instead of having to add a separate, distinct molex cable only to power the RGB kit. Not having to do this would free up a lot of space. Optionally you could go the molex adapter route, but that also eats more space, and even worse, is notorious for being unsafe.

On another note, keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to the final and assembled prototype :)

Edit: I didnt think of using 4-pin PWM, but after reading Thehack's suggestion I agree that this is ultimately the best option in a premium case.

I would recommend using 4 pin pwm instead. Bundle a splitter: 4pin pwm to 3pin for led and 4pin pwm for fan. Lots of people are going SATA less especially in a premium case.

Okay guys thanks for the feedback, you have me convinced. So shall we use TheHack's suggestion of 4 pin PWM or SATA power connector? TheHack's sure does have a compelling argument :)

Btw ebc92, we'll definitely take a pic of the front with RGB installed, as soon as the internal frame is finished and we can mount the strips. I did a quick and dirty mounting the other day and man does it look good, the light dissipates almost exactly according to the renderings.

....aaaaaand there goes the 36:th time MJOLNIR I is improved by the community. The help is unreal!

Reactions: ebc92

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
be careful with using a 4pin fan header for powering many LEDs.

The 5050 RGBW LEDs usually list a 20mA forward current (at full brightness) per 5050 package. 4pin headers are rated for at least 1A afaik, but that is only enough for 50 LEDs.
If you want to use more, the SATA connector would be the better choice (4.5A rating). Otherwise you might risk melting the fan connectors on some budget boards.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
I would vote for SATA connector. If you don't have a spare one coming off your PSU already, it's easy to extend one and the connectors take up very little room being flat.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

The 5050 RGBW LEDs usually list a 20mA forward current (at full brightness) per 5050 package. 4pin headers are rated for at least 1A afaik, but that is only enough for 50 LEDs.
If you want to use more, the SATA connector would be the better choice (4.5A rating). Otherwise you might risk melting the fan connectors on some budget boards.

Assuming 1 fan + LED strip:

Noctua NF-A9x14: 110mA.
Remaining current: 890mA.
Max number of 5050 LEDs: 44.
LEDs I counted in the vid: 48.

Other notes: chassis headers seem to support 1.5A instead of the usual 1A on the cpu fan header. Also available is AMD's fan LED header.

I think SATA is getting phased out every year. More and more builds are incorporating 1TB M.2, or dual M.2 especially on the high end. I'd be annoyed hooking up a whole 400mm SATA peripheral line just for some LEDs.

Just my opinion, but then again, SATA is still mainstream. Or you can do both. Likely adds about 50cents per unit to the final BoM assuming you order in bulk.

Last edited:
Reactions: ebc92 and AlexTzone

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
If I were building this as an 'indy' developer, I'd go with whatever is easy for generation 1 and let the end user either buy the adapter they want or cut off the connector and add the connector they want.

I truly have no idea how these are sourced/built, but I'd imagine a vast majority of the industry still uses the 4-pin Molex connectors that are ubiquitous with computers.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com

I would vote for SATA connector. If you don't have a spare one coming off your PSU already, it's easy to extend one and the connectors take up very little room being flat.

Assuming 1 fan + LED strip:

Noctua NF-A9x14: 110mA.
Remaining current: 890mA.
Max number of 5050 LEDs: 44.
LEDs I counted in the vid: 48.

Other notes: chassis headers seem to support 1.5A instead of the usual 1A on the cpu fan header. Also available is AMD's fan LED header.

I think SATA is getting phased out every year. More and more builds are incorporating 1TB M.2, or dual M.2 especially on the high end. I'd be annoyed hooking up a whole 400mm SATA peripheral line just for some LEDs.

Just my opinion, but then again, SATA is still mainstream. Or you can do both. Likely adds about 50cents per unit to the final BoM assuming you order in bulk.

If I were building this as an 'indy' developer, I'd go with whatever is easy for generation 1 and let the end user either buy the adapter they want or cut off the connector and add the connector they want.

I truly have no idea how these are sourced/built, but I'd imagine a vast majority of the industry still uses the 4-pin Molex connectors that are ubiquitous with computers.

Based on all your arguments it seems to me that SATA would be the best course of action at this moment :thumb: Still mainstream and not as PITA as Molex :thumb:

Reactions: chyll2

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Btw, happy to say that ALL MJOLNIR I prototype parts (except the glass panels) are now ordered, estimated to have them all in 2-3 weeks :D Regarding glass panels, still awaiting quotes for those!

Additionally we're heads deep in making the MJOLNIR I trailer, about 65% done with that. It's turning out quite badass thus far :cool:

psurge

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 17, 2018
This case looks amazing!

As some others have pointed out, the price is (understandably) high. I was wondering if you have considered an option to omit the tempered glass side panels for people who want to save a few pennies - or is that already factored into the price difference between the regular and RGB versions of the case?

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
This case looks amazing!

As some others have pointed out, the price is (understandably) high. I was wondering if you have considered an option to omit the tempered glass side panels for people who want to save a few pennies - or is that already factored into the price difference between the regular and RGB versions of the case?

+1 to this... 299€ is way out my budget... 249€ would be still out but at least reasonable... A version without glass panels and holes/strip ventilated would be much more conforming to the style I'm looking for... And maybe that helps also with temperatures...