• RGB Version (No controller) - 319 USD

Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Check the stiffness at the intermediate position. It seems vulnerable to load or external pressure. I suggest reinforcing the upper and lower rails to H shape and connecting them to the mainboard frame.

BTW

This is what I want it

JohnCA

Average Stuffer
Dec 2, 2018
Here is the plan
- Launch the Kickstarter campaign (30 days)
- Build the new prototype quickly (at the same time)
- Send out to a good YouTuber (Good = unbiased, professional, thorough)
- Open a refund-window for those who have seen the YouTube video and for whatever reason don't want the case anymore

So you'll see both the new prototype and an unbiased review of it, just not before the campaign.

Thanks for your answer. I think this is a very risky approach, compared to having the final prototype/reviews/temp tests before a KS campaign. But I wish you the best of luck :thumb:

Reactions: AlexTzone

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
Thanks for the replies! I'm liking the changes. Personally I'd like if the feet were removable, but it's a very small personal opinion. I'm sure many are okay with the design as is.

Just wondering: Does your team have experience in the Manufacturing (Factory Contracts, QC, Aluminum Fabrication quirks, etc) or Logistics (Bulk Shipments, Containers, etc)? I'm just a little bit shell shocked from Louqe lol

Understanding that it's going to be cast, have you spoken to casting companies on peculiarities / mass manufacturing issues / things you got to watch out for in casting? I imagine that tolerances might be a thing with this method (though I'm not sure myself)

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
... side ventilation patterns ...

I'm not entirely sure it's possible to match with every GPU - since the center horizontal line varies a bit from Founders edition cards, to stuff like the FTW3 card.

And not to put down your idea of the patterns (as I think they're very unique), but IMO I think something more minimal could help with the aluminum / modern look of the Mjolnir. Maybe something like https://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/CorsairOnePro-side.jpg

Having said that, I'm not sure how Tempered glass to react to any of our patterns, as tempered glass's tempering may require very specific or strongly supported patterns as it may crack during manufacture (or during light use). Could use more info here though.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
I'm not entirely sure it's possible to match with every GPU - since the center horizontal line varies a bit from Founders edition cards, to stuff like the FTW3 card.

And not to put down your idea of the patterns (as I think they're very unique), but IMO I think something more minimal could help with the aluminum / modern look of the Mjolnir. Maybe something like https://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/CorsairOnePro-side.jpg

Having said that, I'm not sure how Tempered glass to react to any of our patterns, as tempered glass's tempering may require very specific or strongly supported patterns as it may crack during manufacture (or during light use). Could use more info here though.

Yes, I admit I have no idea what the restrictions and tolerances are for vented tempered glass. I am indifferent about the design and will let the designers of ThorZone decide what they're happy about, but I was more on the concept that the "center"of the cutouts should not be in the center of the side panel. Since the PCIe riser/connector height is a fixed variable in this case, that and some other place (edge of the glass panel, edge of the external chassis, etc) should define the centering of the large cutouts, this will at least cater for some GPU, as opposed to no GPUs if centered with respect to the center of the side panel. some > none, in my opinion. As of now, the glass vents are not centered for any GPU or any SFX PSU, so that doesnt score very high in my opinion.

Then to counter the offcenter nature of the large cutouts, to have a 2nd set of cutouts to bring the cumulative cutout relatively center of the glass panel itself. I like the triangles of the Corsair One too. To be honest, seeing holes in places that make sense is all I ask for, the design is secondary imo :p

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
IMO the tribal tattoo looking designs are really ugly and ruin the absolutely beautiful design of the case.

Something clean and simple such simple straight lines at an angle kind of like the Lazer3D LZ7 would be much better:

Of if you could mimic the ventilation pattern in the metal side panels.

Really awesome update, by the way!

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
IMO the tribal tattoo looking designs are really ugly and ruin the absolutely beautiful design of the case.

Something clean and simple such simple straight lines at an angle kind of like the Lazer3D LZ7 would be much better:

Of if you could mimic the ventilation pattern in the metal side panels.

Really awesome update, by the way!

You can see that in that design the cutouts are also not centered, and this is a common thing to do to ensure that the fans can breathe. In the Mod Mini series, this is masked by occasionally having the odd cutout go below the PCIe to give a sense of balance.

@AlexTzone If we're asking whether I like the previous hexagonal design or not, I guess I am also leaning in the "dislike" camp. Having said that, I don't really having any productive suggestions as to a vent hole design that can please all, so I assume you will do what's best. I should voice however that I think this is a crucial element of this project, so please definitely do a ventilated tempered glass panel of whatever the final design. The problem will always be that some people will want different designs, but you can't please everybody.

However we should remember that certain designs are more likely to be the root cause of turbulent whining; honeycombs and angled slats as pictured above are particularly bad for noise.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Effects-of-Grill-Patterns-on-Fan-Performance-Noise-107/

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Here is the plan
- Launch the Kickstarter campaign (30 days)
- Build the new prototype quickly (at the same time)
- Send out to a good YouTuber (Good = unbiased, professional, thorough)
- Open a refund-window for those who have seen the YouTube video and for whatever reason don't want the case anymore
I think you need to have a completed prototype for the Kickstarter review process for most projects. I am not 100% sure. You should check with KS on that.

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
You can see that in that design the cutouts are also not centered, and this is a common thing to do to ensure that the fans can breathe. In the Mod Mini series, this is masked by occasionally having the odd cutout go below the PCIe to give a sense of balance.

You can still make a much simpler design work here though. No reason why you can't run the ventilation all the way from top to bottom, much like that large panel in the photo I posted. But even if it was off-center and only covered the GPU area, it would still look cleaner than the current design and make more sense with the design language.

In regards to the link you posted, there are way too many variables to account for. Obviously the size of the angled slats make a huge difference, along with the distance from the glass to the fans.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
You can still make a much simpler design work here though. No reason why you can't run the ventilation all the way from top to bottom, much like that large panel in the photo I posted.
I'm definitely not against having the vents go from the top to the bottom, I just assumed there might be considerations behind having too much hole relative to glass that may cause cracking with a bit of pressure.

dlal1520

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2017
The design updates look great and thanks for allowing for a fan under the main hardware for additional airflow. I do agree with everyone that there needs to be a change in the vent to allow for proper airflow. Im not super against the initial design ( i actually kind of dig it) but i do think something more industrial or polygon based will go with the aesthetic better.

Jaxel

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2018
Exhaust: blows hot air out of the chassis - may be less effective since hot air travels upwards.
If you flip the rig, this shouldn't be a problem. I want my MOBO on the left side anyways, since I plan on putting a Ryujin AIO in it with a custom logo.

It feels like MJOLNIR I has reached its ultimate level
Not until you have a proper carrying solution.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
If you flip the rig, this shouldn't be a problem. I want my MOBO on the left side anyways, since I plan on putting a Ryujin AIO in it with a custom logo.

If you mean ryuo, the radiator is 1 mm too wide so you may not get it in.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
When is the Kickstarter for the case?

Target date is Janury 1st :) Hope everybody isn't hungover beyond beyond belief haha...

Thanks for the replies! I'm liking the changes. Personally I'd like if the feet were removable, but it's a very small personal opinion. I'm sure many are okay with the design as is.

Just wondering: Does your team have experience in the Manufacturing (Factory Contracts, QC, Aluminum Fabrication quirks, etc) or Logistics (Bulk Shipments, Containers, etc)? I'm just a little bit shell shocked from Louqe lol

Understanding that it's going to be cast, have you spoken to casting companies on peculiarities / mass manufacturing issues / things you got to watch out for in casting? I imagine that tolerances might be a thing with this method (though I'm not sure myself)

Experience - We have academic experience in said fields but less practical mass production experience (this is our first project). However, we have contacts that do have such experience and we plan to work very closely with them.

We have spoken to casting companies, our chassis has been optimized for the tolerances etc. Speaking of tolerances, we'll use silica sol investment casting which produces excellent tolerances (ISO 8062:1994 - CT6 for those with engineering backgrounds).

I think you need to have a completed prototype for the Kickstarter review process for most projects. I am not 100% sure. You should check with KS on that.

You have to have proof of concept, which we do have with our first prototype :) There may be great compatibility improvements with the new version but it isn't more difficult to produce, more or less exactly the same.

What AIO is used in your render?

This is just a concept AIO, doesn't exist IRL. But AIOs with those dimensions do exist.

If you mean ryuo, the radiator is 1 mm too wide so you may not get it in.

The internal width is 121mm +- tolerances, so this may fit in approx. 50% of the cases. However, we don't want to officially state this compatibility due to exactly that; the other 50% of cases won't be compatible :eek:

My i suggest gamersnexus?
At the moment they are the best channel for hardware reviews.
They make unbiased and VERY in deph reviews

Great idea!

The design updates look great and thanks for allowing for a fan under the main hardware for additional airflow. I do agree with everyone that there needs to be a change in the vent to allow for proper airflow. Im not super against the initial design ( i actually kind of dig it) but i do think something more industrial or polygon based will go with the aesthetic better.

Check out below ideas friend :) Let us know what you think

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
UPDATE - Finalizing the Glass Panels

Really small update, but I feel that we have to solve this issue before moving on. What do you think of below design; is it better than the previous hexagonal shapes? Top panel will have these cutouts as well. I personally like these over the previous design since they are less obtrusive, simplistic, robust and cover a large area airflow-wise :)

Best,
Alex

Last edited:

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
UPDATE - Finalizing the Glass Panels

Really small update, but I feel that we have to solve this issue before moving on. What do you think of below design; is it better than the previous hexagonal shapes? Top panel will have these cutouts as well. I personally like these over the previous design since they are less obtrusive, simplistic, robust and cover a large area airflow-wise :)

Best,
Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry but I really dislike the new design both from a functional and aesthetic point of view. The cut outs are now even smaller than before and so I would imagine this won't do well in either thermal or acoustics....Looks are subjective, but it does not appeal to me. I like the previous design more.

If it helps at all, I was looking at some custom wood vented panels yesterday, maybe they can be some inspiration? I am sure wood and glass aren't the same, but I think its important for the vented side panel to actually function well as a vented panel, otherwise its just a closed off panel with holes in it that amplify the noise.

https://www.patterncut.com/Wood-Vent-Grilles_c_1.html

Last edited:

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hi Alex,

I'm sorry but I really dislike the new design both from a functional and aesthetic point of view. The cut outs are now even smaller than before and so I would imagine this won't do well in either thermal or acoustics....Looks are subjective, but it does not appeal to me. I like the previous design more.

If it helps at all, I was looking at some custom wood vented panels yesterday, maybe they can be some inspiration? I am sure wood and glass aren't the same, but I think its important for the vented side panel to actually function well as a vented panel, otherwise its just a closed off panel with holes in it that amplify the noise.

https://www.patterncut.com/Wood-Vent-Grilles_c_1.html

I see, thank you for the honest response! I think those wood patterns are a bit to complicated for the glass process we work with. How about keeping the panels totally clean and raising them 5 mm off the chassis? Check it out below:

Distance between panels and chassis is 5mm, 12mm to the PSU and 65mm worth of CPU cooler height (although 53mm is maximum recommended due to no cutouts).

Last edited: