News Promising news from Team Red

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
I believe that's fantastic news, and would make me a bit more inclined to make an AMD build in the future. Hopefully the same improvements will be passed on to the VEGA line of GPU's.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It'd basically put the 480 ahead of the 1060 for a lot of consumers given the performance is functionally comparable, but the price is significantly different last I checked. If nothing else this will hopefully push nVidia to loosen the reins a little more on their revision of Pascal. 75W 1060 anyone? : )

Reactions: CXH4

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Be nice. The 480 is stupid hot right now. I have a pair in Xfire for my desktop system as it significantly beats a 1080 in DX12 and slightly bests it in DX11...but at a HUGE power difference. :(

I do like the 480 and think several factors make it a better choice than the 1060 for users with more desktop space, but its not SFF ready IMO. And I might be the biggest AMD fanboi on this forum...Maybe.

Reactions: TheHig and CXH4

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I was super pumped about the rx 480. The Sapphire Nitro in particular. Then the power envelope , pricing and so on came to light. I still think it is a great card in its class though. I am definitely interested in Polaris and Vega with improved PPW. My current rig is the first intel based PC I have ever built for personal use. Been AMD for me since my first ever build which was a slot A Athlon. This is great news for team Red.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I was pretty excited for Polaris early on when AMD was talking about the focus on efficiency and all that, and I was hoping to see RX 480 at 120 watts-ish. It was a bit disappointing for me when it was more like 150-160 watts in actual use, and I ended up getting a pascal card instead.

If this is true then it puts AMD back on my radar, but it sounds a bit too good to be true.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Well the RX480 can be extremely efficient, it's just AMD that dropped the ball it seems.
The XFX RX 480 GTR only does 100W under full load, is quiet and doesn't throttle!

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Well the RX480 can be extremely efficient, it's just AMD that dropped the ball it seems.
The XFX RX 480 GTR only does 100W under full load, is quiet and doesn't throttle.

Binning getting better? Yields improving after the launch batches? Whatever it is if we can get these card for 249.. Then you may take some sales from the 1060. Well from informed brand agnostics anyway

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Binning getting better? Yields improving after the launch batches? Whatever it is if we can get these card for 249.. Then you may take some sales from the 1060. Well from informed brand agnostics anyway
Either way, they should really put some marketing behind this from the AMD side, or even consider releasing a RX485 or RX 480x because going from 150W and not conforming to PCIe complaince to have a 1/3 reduction in power seems like relaunch worthy news.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm hoping for a revised RX480 or atleast an "ITX"-sized original one for my LZ7 build in december, because to me they're more interesting than the GTX 1060 but if I need a custom cooler to make a reference model shorter (due to cooler overhang), I'm much better off with an "ITX" GTX 1060.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Given that the RX 4x0M series hasn't even started shipping in laptops yet, I don't expect any power-optimised desktop revisions to arrive until after supply for laptops has been fulfilled.