Jaw

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
So we will revive the Soviet mining modding the following configuration is planned:

Motherboard: ASROCK H110TM-ITX
CPU: INTEL Pentium G4400
CPU fan: Intel BXHTS1155LP
RAM: DDR4 16Gb
Wi-fi adapter: INTEL 9260NGW NGFF
SSD: KingSpec M2 2242 NGFF 120Gb

The project is planned as a cross between a gaming laptop and a tablet) and the matrix is 15.6

UPD 21.06.2018

UPD 23.06.2018
I started designing a case, a small spoiler

UPD 02.08.2018

UPD 03.08.2018

I drew 2 more parts of the case, I will print on the printer:

Reactions: rosinbole

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Interesting! Looking forward to seeing how this will progress.

One question: how are you powering that fan? If I'm seeing right, that's the blower fan that Nvidia uses in their stock GPUs (Delta BFB0712HF). IIRC, those pull ~1.8A 12V maximum, which will toast any but the most overbuilt fan headers out there. Are you planning to power it directly off the PSU 12V rail with some sort of splitter to keep PWM control? It shouldnt be difficult to wire up, but I'm interested in seeing your solution :)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
This is really cool! I was trying to conceptualize an STX-based laptop design, but then I realized the cooler would be too thick :p. Best of luck to you though! That cooler seems potent enough :D

Jaw

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
Valantar, i thought to connect to the cpu fan connector do you think it will not withstand this current?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Valantar, i thought to connect to the cpu fan connector do you think it will not withstand this current?

It almost doubles normal motherboard fan headers. IIRC they're made for 1A, this fan is 1.8A.
Exactly. Or, more accurately, good motherboard headers support up to 1A (ones where the OEM has made an effort to allow for many fans or powerful fans connected to it). Less high-end boards often support even less. Remember, even fast 140mm fans are usually 0.2-0.3A, while most case fans are in the ~.1-.15A range. In other words, chances are hooking that fan up to your CPU fan header will fry either your header (if you're lucky) or the whole motherboard (if you're not). I assume this is not what you want ;)

You're going to need to wire up a custom wire harness for the fan. An adapter from the fan's 4-pin mini connector to a standard connector (such as these) is a good staring point: just cut the GND and 12V lines at the motherboard connector end and connect (crimp or solder, your choice) them to the matching terminals on a SATA or Molex connector to connect to your PSU. Just to be clear, from your fan the wire will look like this:
Code:
Fan cable -> Adapter -> RPM and PWM cables to motherboard 4-pin
                     ->12V and GND cables to SATA/Molex power plug
That way you'll retain PWM control and RPM reporting to the motherboard, but you'll be pulling your power directly from the PSU.

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
Board in the past few years now have headers which are rated at 2A or 3A and are labelled as "XXX_Fan_Pump", they can run up to 36W, but there's usually one or two per high end board, and this, from what I've seen is only on a few selected highly priced ATX boards.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Board in the past few years now have headers which are rated at 2A or 3A and are labelled as "XXX_Fan_Pump", they can run up to 36W, but there's usually one or two per high end board, and this, from what I've seen is only on a few selected highly priced ATX boards.
Yeah, I don't count those considering that they're pretty much exclusive to ultra-high-end ATX or EATX boards in the >$300 range with 6-7-8 fan headers. Not quite applicable here, so I didn't feel the need to bring that up and muddy the waters even more for the OP.

Jaw

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
mini up)

Printed fan cover:

Made duct for a cooler - 1mm steel

The air duct is larger:

I try the location of the connectors (power, usb charging, usb and audio, the power button):

in Center down screen button

Drill thread for racks:

Let's try:

Fits perfectly))

And here's the lvds cable arrived, just in time hah)

Anything else:

Jaw

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
UP!
Soldered connector to power supply:

took from the cutting the top part material: steel 1mm

Reactions: confusis

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This is really cool! I was trying to conceptualize an STX-based laptop design, but then I realized the cooler would be too thick :p. Best of luck to you though! That cooler seems potent enough :D

Just have a custom cooler made. :D

Spark

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 9, 2019
Any update on this? I'm planning something similar. I like your approach to the heatsink + blower. What search term did you use to find this kind of low profile off the side of the board heatsink?

murtoz

Cable Smoosher
Aug 27, 2017
Any update on this? I'm planning something similar. I like your approach to the heatsink + blower. What search term did you use to find this kind of low profile off the side of the board heatsink?
That's an Intel thin mini-itx heatsink. Product code BXHTS1155LP. You'll need a compatible thin m-itx board with the right clearance for the heat pipes. I'm not sure if there are many recent ones but Intel still has a component catalogue here.