Stalled Project Stealth - 5.7L, custom 400W PSU, 270mm GPU

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
A custom sized case will cost $350 for a one off design, nonrefundable.

Otherwise, my goal for this case is to fully fit a 400W build in the smallest dimension possible.

according to this calculator - https://www.sensorsone.com/custom-tool/lwhv-set-units-calculator/?ctlunit=millimetres (mm)&ctlfctr=mm&ctwunit=millimetres (mm)&ctwfctr=mm&cthunit=millimetres (mm)&cthfctr=mm&ctvunit=litres (L)&ctvfctr=L

,a case measuring 335mm X 255mm X 69mm would only increase volume by 0.39, to 5.89L.

that's almost nothing in terms of difference.

why don't we see if we can get some other interested buyers, before i do any final deals.

Last edited:

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I appreciate what you're trying to do with this, @Thehack. When you get to it, I think the next step we'd like to see would be to see how it looks with components rendered in and layout/possible cable and PCIe extender routing paths. In particular, I'd like to see how the Distro 400 and associated Meanwell fit in. This would also be m.2 only, yes? No 2.5" drive mounts?

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
A custom sized case will cost $350 for a one off design, nonrefundable.

Otherwise, my goal for this case is to fully fit a 400W build in the smallest dimension possible.
I am all for keeping it at a minimum height, which would set it apart from the S4M for being even skinnier.

What are the dimensions for this case? I can't find it on the original post.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
It currently sits around 59mm x 325mm x 273mm, subject to change.

I appreciate what you're trying to do with this, @Thehack. When you get to it, I think the next step we'd like to see would be to see how it looks with components rendered in and layout/possible cable and PCIe extender routing paths. In particular, I'd like to see how the Distro 400 and associated Meanwell fit in. This would also be m.2 only, yes? No 2.5" drive mounts?

I'm not good with doing rendering and layouts and stuff, all my work is pure sheet metal. But the distro 400 will not fit with reference length GPUs. It'll hopefully come with a simpler, cheaper 12V option (much less than the $90 distro 400 kit). But worry not, I'll go through 2 prototypes likely before I make the first run.

May have to get off my ass and mess with sketchup at some point.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
So a bit shorter in length, wider in width, and shorter in height than a Mini...interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing a prototype once the renders are done, but the current dimensions have me intrigued.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018

as stated before, i would be interested in having 2 versions available.

one version which you've discussed above, & one version measuring 335mm X 255mm X 69mm [ 5.89L ] .

obviously, i'm willing to pay extra for this.

and to be crystal clear, i'm not trying to stop others from getting the other version, i just want an alternative choice.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
as stated before, i would be interested in having 2 versions available.

one version which you've discussed above, & one version measuring 335mm X 255mm X 69mm [ 5.89L ] .

obviously, i'm willing to pay extra for this.

and to be crystal clear, i'm not trying to stop others from getting the other version, i just want an alternative choice.

The issue with 66mm height is that it doesn't perform significantly better. The Dan cooler has not been shown to surpass the similarly priced LP53, sometimes only matching the L9 and C7, due to the fact that the fan 92mm fan only covers a small portion of the fin stack. So you're increasing the size for largely the same performance.

At 66mm height, you're only 0.5L away from supporting SFX, which to me makes a far bigger deal than supporting 48mm coolers, which so far have non shown to be significantly better than the Noctua (still).

On the other hand, if you move up to 60mm coolers, the difference in performance is significant.

But at the moment, I can't afford to have many variants. Prototype cost and small runs are quite expensive. I'm not a power house like NFC, to where my designs are guaranteed to sell. It's a significant investment for me.

I can certainly do larger cases, but it also other costs like shipping and custom packaging, which is expensive if you're not ordering in massive quantities and shipping large amounts.

Last edited:

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
issue with 66mm height is that it doesn't perform significantly better. The Dan cooler has not been shown to surpass the similarly priced LP53, sometimes only matching the L9 and C7, due to the fact that the fan 92mm fan only covers a small portion of the fin stack. So you're increasing the size for largely the same performance.

48mm coolers, which so far have non shown to be significantly better than the Noctua (still).

respectfully disagrees.

the Dan cooler's first batch had soldering problems, with its heatpipes.

you can't make any determinations on performance, until a new batch is released, with no heatpipe issues.

and i've been very clear, that i'll pay extra for an alternative version with those measurements.

what i'm waiting for is to see if other buyers also want an alternative version.

customers generally like choices.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Note I also am deathly afraid of going mainstream sized designs.

My goal is uniquely usff. Going larger opens me getting my designs stolen, and sold at a significantly lower price *cough*cough*.

I want the J-hack project to be viable in the long term.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
respectfully disagrees.

the Dan cooler's first batch had soldering problems, with its heatpipes.

you can't make any determinations on performance, until a new batch is released, with no heatpipe issues.

and i've been very clear, that i'll pay extra for an alternative version with those measurements.

what i'm waiting for is to see if other buyers also want an alternative version.

customers generally like choices.

I am also aware of the heat pipe issue. I don't thìnk it'll significantly change the performance. It was the very end heat pipe, which the fan does not even fully cover.

I'm fine with fulfilling custom requests where I can, but they non refundable.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Note I also am deathly afraid of going mainstream sized designs.

My goal is uniquely usff. Going larger opens me getting my designs stolen, and sold at a significantly lower price *cough*cough*.

I'm fine with fulfilling custom requests where I can, but they non refundable.

your version is 5.5L.

my proposed alternative version is 5.89L, which is a difference of only 0.39L.

that's basically nothing.

i have not asked for any refund option.

i'm being unbelievably clear, i want a choice as a customer & i'm willing to pay extra.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
your version is 5.5L.

my proposed alternative version is 5.89L, which is a difference of only 0.39L.

that's basically nothing.

i have not asked for any refund option.

i'm being unbelievably clear, i want a choice as a customer & i'm willing to pay extra.

We shall return to this when the design is prototyped first. I was just letting you be aware. Maybe the future is doing expensive but one off designs?

.4L is definitely not nothing to me though. I stress about 0.1L every part of the design process. It also 0.4L from supporting SFX PSU, so where do we draw the line?

I expect the first prototype in 6 weeks. A second 12 weeks from now. And a small batch in about 18-20 weeks.

Debating on crowd funding the first batch... We shall see!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Proto in 6 weeks: cool. Curious to see how tight you can put the squeeze on a reference card. Re: simpler 12V solution, that sounds good too. Ever since running into my first NFC build using an HDPlex of some sort, this whole DC-DC thing has intrigued me but I've never had enough of a reason to take the plunge. Now, with this seeming explosion of DC-DC products (especially from you), I'm having a whirlwind of a time trying to envision my first DC-DC build and what it'd be for. Keep them coming and I'll find a reason to make a new build eventually :).

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

In black. Removed the front vents. not required, as users should be using FE-like GPUs that has side exhaust or blower designs. Or something like EVGA's Black edition.

Target is still 5.5L or smaller, Possibly a big boy version second.

I will do a small limited run of black/white, since it's my favorite style, but i've found the failure rate too high (30% on PURE case run).

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

I want this so bad.... But my GPU is 280mm. :(

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming OC

It would look awesome! White with orange accents!

Given the location of GPU. Have you considered how the pcie cable will extend even further north of the motherboard? Is there Clearence for the cable?

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I want this so bad.... But my GPU is 280mm. :(

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming OC

It would look awesome! White with orange accents!

Given the location of GPU. Have you considered how the pcie cable will extend even further north of the motherboard? Is there Clearence for the cable?

I'll have to plan clearance around that bend. Waiting on mechanical drawings from possible suppliers. There are ways to reduce the need for that clearance, but it's simpler and cheaper to expand the case a few mm to accommodate the pcie cable.

the 280mm is just a tad too big.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Is there a reason for the GPU being on the north of the Mobo? Most often we see the GPU on the south side.

There's a couple reason that this layout makes the most sense:

1. All the fans are on the same side. Means it can be laid flat.

2. The north side allows the most ventilation for cards that have side vents (20-series FE).

3. The north side allows for cards that exceed the height a bit.

4. Riser cost is about the same for north/south side if fans are facing the same way.

What you get lose out on is mainly increased cost. If you have layout like NODE 202, riser cost is much cheaper.

Reference sized cards will fit this chassis. If the card is a bit taller BUT has recessed connectors, it may fit.

Reactions: Reldey and Elerek