Concept Project: Radian - 13 Liter Dual 240 Rad ITX Chassis

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
A question about I/O.

Top or front? :) I'm thinking top, seeing as it's a small chassis. Thoughts?

Reactions: AleksandarK

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
One thing about top I/O is that it could potentially leave the option for Drain/Fill ports in lieu of the bulgin switch.

Reactions: royalba94

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Time for an Update!
(I hope all the notifications go through!)
Firstly, I want to apologize for the tremendous delay. After a bevy of technical issues, it would seem everything is working well enough for me to be able to continue. In fact, I've accomplished a fair amount, but it's mostly stuff that's boring. I'll deal with the nitty-gritty spec-sheets and such when I make the FreeCad tutorials. For now, I'll focus on showing you all this piece:

Nevermind the vent pattern or the exaggerated mounting holes for the rear panel, I want to showcase the bends. Quite frankly I find this to be far more attractive from a no-sharp-edges standpoint. Wheres the prior design required another process to trim the end and left quite a bit of finishing work to be done, this would only require a couple more bends on the bezel. I would hope this proves more economical, as well as safer for the end user.

Thoughts? :)

Mrvonwyl

Cable Smoosher
Nov 8, 2017
I think the back panel would be mounted outside (closer to the view in the above picture), right? Why wouldn't you mount it on the inside and make the top bend exactly 90° ? Then the back panel could have the dame with where the pieces are joined, and double the size in the middle. This would look clean, it would be more or less easy to manufacture and it would have a very clean look.

(is my explanation understandable?)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You are correct :) The reason why I have it in this re-curve configuration is so that the user can easily assemble everything on the tray, away from the confines of the Bezel/Radiators. They can then just slide the Rear Panel / Tray Assembly straight in from the rear of the bezel with no fuss.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Nice work, dropping by from EG Model One. Like the minimalist design.
From my experience, recommend you find the hardware models for your CAD software and try the fittings as early as possible. You will most likely need to make adjustments, albeit minor, when you start including other hardware components, which may or may not affect your overall design.

Look forward to further progress. I have realized that it's important to not put pressure on yourself, a hobby needs to be enjoyable ;)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Radian Lives!

As some of you know, I've been quite busy between a number of personal projects, school, and work. It's been like, over a year since I last posted an update. The reason being, aside from the busyness, is that the files were lost. Probably because I reformatted my Windows 10 installation. Anyway, I'm sorry.

I'm approaching this with renewed interest. I've found it to be physically a very robust design - just with cardboard. Moving forward I've decided on a few items.

• No Re-curve:
    • The previous update was well-intended, but added additional manufacturing complexity in an attempt to provide functionality that effectively was already there.​
  • Material:
    • 3mm Aluminum, all around. The S4MC has taught me that even 2mm Aluminum is plenty stiff, and I want to be sure. Aluminum also offers anodization, a dimensionally consistent finish necessary for the slotting mechanism.​
  • Supported Power Supplies:
    • The new HDPlex 400 watt AC/DC has succeeded the previous incarnation. It is now longer and skinnier, and might not be able to fit. I'm looking at it. 200 watt AC/DC support is still expected.​
    • An SFX-L power supply will now fit, as will of course an SFX unit. The tolerances are very tight, however. There's not much room for the cables coming out of a 125x130mm unit, such as the SFX-L 1000 watt unit. Neither is there much space for the fan to breathe with a glass side panel.​
  • Nvidia 20** Series Cards Are Bigger:
    • Looking at supporting 3 slots, but this is a water cooling case. Ideally I will source a bifurcated pcie cable supplier, or have one fabbed. That way there's potential for some very nice dual-gpu builds.​
  • I/O:
    • Up top. Looking for a digikey or mouser link for assembled front-panel cables if anyone has them handy. Elsewise, moddiy etc is probably how I will source them. Hoping for 3.1 Type C support here.​
  • Volume:
    • Supporting SFX-L was a big deal for me. I wanted 12 liters or less. Unfortunately, it looks like I have little choice but to increase the volume to approximately 13 Liters. MAYBE a seperate, smaller SKU could be developed later. Either way, the case has a very small footprint on my desk, and I think it looks better as a slightly rectangular frame.​
  • Manufacturing:
    • I'm half-planning on doing all the cutting, bending, and assembling on my own. It's pretty small, pretty niche, and ought to be done up right. That also allows the most flexibility for custom orders. However, Protocase is a solid bet. I will consider my options further.​

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hi everyone!

Radian 3.0 can take my money and I’ll say thank you

It’s been awhile since my previous update. In the intervening years I have completed my degree in Mechanical Engineering, and have had the opportunity to complete multiple unrelated projects. The journey has been highly enlightening, and now I am excited to announce that Project: Radian has moved into the request-for-quote phase after six years!

The current design is as follows:

DIMENSIONS
With Rear Protrusions / FeetWithout Rear Protrusions / Feet
Length315.638 mm307 mm
Width146 mm146 mm
Height289.350 mm
283 mm​

VOLUMEWith Rear ProtrusionsWithout Rear Protrusions
With Feet13.334 L12.969 L
Without Feet13.042 L12.685 L

Note: Values are subject to change. Dimensional variation is expected in fit and finish.​

I did have to push past the <12L category, and technically I have pushed past the <13L category as well. This does come with a variety of benefits, namely to accommodate SFX-L and the larger components of the past few years. Personally, I do not count rear protrusions; the cables you plug into the back take up substantially more space, while overlapping the protrusions themselves. You do want captive thumbscrews on your side panels, right? Every millimeter is being put to work here.

Key Features:
  • Construction: Aluminum motherboard tray and bezel, tempered glass windows, and steel everything else. The side panels feature captive thumbscrews and slide on. I am planning to prototype the side panels with acrylic before ordering custom glass.
  • Symmetry: The entire case could be flipped over, you’d just need to swap the feet to the other side. You could also do this with most of the individual pieces of the design. Don’t worry over scuffing a face, you can almost always hide it.
  • Ventilation: Inspired by the X-based mounting points of the previous iterations, I created a more robust ventilation pattern that radiates out from its center. Ahem.
  • Radiators and Fans: Combinations up to 132.44 mm wide, 52.39mm tall, and 298.42mm long will fit in the top and bottom sections alike. Note that these dimensions are taken directly from the CAD, and that some reduction is likely to account for finishing and tolerancing. Most 240 radiators should fit.
    • Mounting: M4 / 6-32 / M3 mounting is all valid, as long as the head is 1.3mm or less. Low-profile screws are intended to be provided.
  • Power Supply: SFX-L power supplies are now supported by default.
    • Mounting: Recommended that the fan faces into the motherboard tray, as there is ventilation available there.
  • Pumps: DDC Pumps have room for mounting, as well as a fair degree of adjustability.
  • Switches: 19mm Anti-Vandal Switches are supported by default. That is, the panel cutouts are ∅19mm. ∅22mm is under consideration as for how it will play with part compatibility.
    • There are multiple levels to the larger mounting holes, so that you can avoid obstruction of at least one or two. Certain builds will benefit from this, such as if you worked out a fill/drain port for your build.
    • There are a variety of alternate ∅16mm spots doubling as extra ventilation and/or spots for smaller bulkhead fittings.
  • Graphics Card: The case will fit a card up to 300.46 mm long. However, you will almost certainly be limited to expandable AIO systems or external pump/reservoirs without leaving about 62mm free. Active backplates should fit with some clearance to the motherboard tray.
  • CPU Blocks: have a clearance of a little over 47.5 mm from the CPU IHS to the glass. This is at least the case for Ryzen 5 systems, from the information I could gather.
  • Mod Plates: You have two (2) plates you can install for more mounting area. They look great as a color accent, but mostly they’re good for mounting things that I can’t plan for. Feel free to cut into them.
  • 2.5in SSD Mount: Similar to the mod plates, but with holes to accommodate a 2.5in SSD.
Render Gallery:

As always, thank you everyone for joining me on this journey. I welcome your questions and feedback.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
A preview of some DFM revisions:

The X-Slots return! Sort-of. This does reduce the part count (major cost driver at this stage) and gives more points to tie cables down, but I would welcome opinions here. I did like having the open space, but the power supply tends to be in the way of that. I do personally prefer the way the full ensemble of mod plates and SSD tray created balance in the overall color pallet and design.

Additionally, powder coat is expected to expand the volume somewhat:

VOLUME
With Rear ProtrusionsWithout Rear Protrusions
With Feet13.505 L12.969 L
Without Feet13.136 L13.210 L

Note: Values are subject to change. Dimensional variation is expected in fit and finish.​

These are worst-case values, to be clear. There is a fair amount of tolerance stack between the side panels and the inner bezel, so the width suffers here. The thickness of the aluminum pieces is also being looked at; there is some potential to dial that back and conserve some volume.

I do not currently have a schedule for updates, but rest assured that development is ongoing. I was able to do a full DFM revision in about a week, building models from scratch after the last update.

As always, thank you everyone for joining me on this journey. I welcome your questions and feedback.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Looks fantastic.
Thank you! If there's any specific color combinations you'd like to see lemme know, renders are easy to put out.
Any inlet/outlet ports planned for the case panels, maybe on the back?

edit: read more carefully and see the answer is yes!
Very much yes! While I had planned for a solid rear panel initially, I thought it would be helpful to provide additional paths for air, despite the blow-through nature of the case. I looked at some of the common rear panel venting methods and decided I wasn't feeling a grid of squares, so instead I went with some pop-outs. They kinda remind me of bubbles, so that's on-theme.

These can be widened to accept bulkhead fittings, and they should fit 16mm Antivandal switches if you'd rather use the larger holes for your bulkhead fittings. I am planning on providing plugs for the larger holes, but wanted to show them off in the renders.

Last edited:
Reactions: confusis