John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Backstory;
"Kase", my first server, was originally my first PC, repurposed. An Intel Pentium II 266MHz, 384MB RAM, S3 Virge 3MB AGP GPU and an Intel 440BX based motherboard ran a couple of 80GB HDDs, no RAID, for file storage. The system was named after a good friend's nickname, after I polled my social group for a server name, to perplexed looks. This system lasted a few months, until I had to minimalise my setup when my parents divorced and I moved with my Mum. (I was barely out of High School at this time, so around 2004/2005.)

Recently, I had the pleasure of picking up a HP Microserver N36L off our local auction site, TradeMe. (For those curious, eBay can't get a foothold in NZ because TradeMe is much preferred by us Kiwis.) For the princely sum of NZ$21.50, I collected the server, in a non-working state, as advertised. The previous owner could not fix the unit, and didn't have any further time to waste on it. I grabbed it in hopes for salvaging the Mini-SAS componentry for a future project.

After a few minutes of troubleshooting, I figured out one major issue with the system that was causing it to fail to even spin the fans, let alone boot. Someone put two jumpers in the wrong positions. This fixed, the server and it's 500GB Seagate drive booted. Woohoo!

So, what is this Microserver?
This is a 14.6 litre, SOHO orientated file server based on HP's prowess in the professional server world. Using rather more low end hardware, HP managed to offer a set and forget server for small business and the like. Powered by an AMD Athlon II Neo N36L, this 1.3GHz dual core K10 architecture processor won't set the world alight with it's power, but at 12 watts - 5 watts less than Kase's Pentium II CPU, it's an efficient little embedded CPU. The board has a Mini-SAS connector socket providing SATA connectivity to 4 drives in the welded in drive assembly. A single internal SATA connector is supplied for an optical drive, and a USB2.0 port provides a location for those running NAS software from a USB drive. A PCIe x16 slot and an x1 slot round out expansion.

So, my plans;
  • Upgrade the 1GB DDR3 RAM to 16GB, because why not? (DONE)
  • Install a Silverstone 4x 2.5" bay as well as an HP P400 SAS RAID card (DONE)
  • Install drives - 4x 2TB 3.5" drives and 4x 2.5" drives - not sure whether I should go 120GB SSDs or 500GB 5400RPM mechanical drives
  • Cable management, modding and replacing the PSU (to come)
  • Aesthetic mods.
To the last two points. This is my first proper NAS, so i'm trying to do it right - including only provisioning new drives. I've already purchased 2 of the 3.5" drives, with two to follow this week. The 4 2.5" drives are next up, with the aforementioned drive spec decision - keeping in mind my network is limited to Gigabit - my DeskMini can't take a NIC upgrade!

Secondly, replacing the PSU. This server was built around 2011, meaning that the included 160W PSU is 7 years old. Wait.. 160W? That sounds familiar.. I know just the combo to replace this, reduce noise, and add a little headroom - A HDPlex 160W AC-DC and a KMPKT 160W DC-ATX power supply. I have a 160W HDPlex AC-DC to hand, and will be buying a 160W KMPKT DC-ATX in the coming week. From there, custom wiring, sleeving and the like will happen, because even though nobody will ever see it, I know it's there!

The final point, aesthetics. Some may cry "but it's a server!", but it's my project, so :p. Simple aesthetic mods will occur, mostly replacing the front light up HP logo with a SFFn Impossible Cube, as well as replacing the chassis feet with something more akin to a premium system.

Lastly, some images.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Nice to see another Microserver project on the go. The original series have a particular charm about them, and spawned 1000s of projects.
I have an N40L at work that I bought used on B-T; it has has a PSU mod (Pico PSU style) and is apparently noticeably quieter than the original one.
I've been running Win 10 as a test, but the ethernet port doesn't work as Win 10 doesn't like the modded bios that it's running (faster SATA on the ODD port etc.).
I also went through some tricky for me hoops to get Xpenology running on it, booting from a small USB stick - that works well, but I haven't fully adopted it yet.
Storage wise, it's 3x 1TB drives gathered up from various sources.
Have fun with it, I do like the look of your 4x 2.5" HDD bay.
In other news, I'm also packing a not so SFF HP ML1110 G5 that cost 30GBP in total, including a RAM upgrade to 6GB and from a weedy E2160 to a surprisingly useable s775 Xeon X3330. This has now replaced my beloved s775 Shuttle as as data shuffling and drive testing workstation, with a 2.5"+3.5" bay on the 2nd ODD slot.

Reactions: Phuncz

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Looking forward to the progress. I used to have a very similar microserver from an old job (it was replaced with 4 Google blades and I got it from the owner for $30). Im actually looking at replacing my current NAS with something a bit more powerful (my nas also runs a docker swarm and a few vms, so the 4gb ram and anthalon are showing its age).

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
always looked to build a NAS myself too, I end up buying a QNAP TS-251A last year... SW option always slow me down to go ahead with "DIY" solution... What kind of software do you use on it?

Anyway, a 4+4 NAS... For something less than 150$ (HDPlex, Silverstone, RAM) maybe? Just awesome!

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
I'm jealous of the good deal you got! I recently built a NAS around a Lian-Li PC-Q25B, but it just eeks over 20L (20.38L). I love the plan with the hdplex and kmpkt power supply. Good luck!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Updates!

Deciding on FreeNAS or Windows 10 for the OS, working on setting that up today. Windows is only an option because ease of maintenance. Have purchased all the 3.5" drives, so I'll have my first array up today. (woo, rhymes!)

I've decided to forgo the HDPlex/KMPKT power solution for now, I just need the box online. (Plus I just paid $300 on a power bill, my wallet's giving me dirty looks)

Last edited:

Lee.III.Will

Caliper Novice
Jun 7, 2017
I've quite liked these HP mini-servers! I'm also partial to the Thecus N7510, though it's a bit taller. I have an Icydock 6 2.5" to 5.25" drive bay floating around somewhere and liked it when I had it installed. The FS204 looks pretty similar, pretty cool little option! I'd be curious if you could get a 15mm drive in there even though the spec is only up to 14.5. If that was an option you could shuck some Seagate easystore drives and throw some 4-5TB drives in the 2.5" slots! It looks like there is enough space on top of the 5.25" drive bay to mount some SSD's for possible caching or running the OS depending on what you decide on!

From there, custom wiring, sleeving and the like will happen, because even though nobody will ever see it, I know it's there!
Yes, this!!! Most times when I talk about cable sleeving I get the "But why, no one can see it" and this is always my response! When I get in there later on I'd like to be happy when I pull apart the case, rather than remembering that I shoved all the cables in there and forgot about it.

Deciding on FreeNAS or Windows 10 for the OS,
Have you looked at UnRAID? I haven't used it but I've gone through a good bit of documentation and it looks pretty solid and user friendly. I'm curious if anyone else has thoughts on it!
Also, did I spot a USB port on the motherboard directly in your pictures? That'd be nifty if you opt for FreeNas(or unRAID) since If I recall it's installed on a USB!