Prototype 8.5 liter sandwich case with extra wide GPU cupport (2.7 slots)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I think it's time for some pictures of the actual case frame this time, so here you go!

And here's how a vertical case setup in progress might look like.

Looks very nice.

Would be cool to have a cover on the top to hide the cables... ?

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looks very nice.

Would be cool to have a cover on the top to hide the cables...

Thanks, and I might consider a top cover.

Adding a cover would require a bit of design change to the I/O port area so that the cover can line up seamlessly with the rest of the case. The I/O is too recessed anyways, due to the fact that I had difficulty plugging in HDMI cables on the GPU side.

Reactions: Windfall

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
A quick update: after some design tweaks here and there, I was able to figure out how to resize the case to fit an SFX power supply and still cost a reasonable amount to print the entire pieces continuously from end to end.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
A quick update: after some design tweaks here and there, I was able to figure out how to resize the case to fit an SFX power supply and still cost a reasonable amount to print the entire pieces continuously from end to end.

Is there enough room there for the AC power cable? I know from what you had sent me, there was a recessed area there but I'm not sure if it's enough...

Regardless, SFX Support would be very nice. It would be logical to have different length middle pieces (if that makes sense) so the case could be expanded/shrunk down depending on user preference.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Is there enough room there for the AC power cable? I know from what you had sent me, there was a recessed area there but I'm not sure if it's enough...

Regardless, SFX Support would be very nice. It would be logical to have different length middle pieces (if that makes sense) so the case could be expanded/shrunk down depending on user preference.

Yep there is room because the AC power cable will route directly out from an opening in the back. This whole opening is the PSU exhaust. But I wanted to make the case a wee bit shorter if it meant offsetting the PSU a bit forward. It can be held to the case by connecting it with short standoffs.

Having a case that can be shrunk or expanded length-wise sounds neat but I don't know how well it will hold up in sturdiness when there are more parts being attached together. And I don't have enough funds to go fully testing it out with printing those kinds of designs. Splitting up the parts along another axis could weaken the structure.

If anyone is interested in a pre-production case (either for Flex-ATX or SFX) would you be willing to purchase the shell only and then wait for side panels later? Right now the Flex-ATX design is ready for more to be made, but on a made-to-order basis. Lead time is expected to be around two weeks.

Side panels can be made and shipped together with the case if I can collect several orders (minimum quantity for including the side panels would be low- in the range of 3 or 4)

Last edited:

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Yep there is room because the AC power cable will route directly out from an opening in the back. This whole opening is the PSU exhaust. But I wanted to make the case a wee bit shorter if it meant offsetting the PSU a bit forward. It can be held to the case by connecting it with short standoffs.

Having a case that can be shrunk or expanded length-wise sounds neat but I don't know how well it will hold up in sturdiness when there are more parts being attached together. And I don't have enough funds to go fully testing it out with printing those kinds of designs. Splitting up the parts along another axis could weaken the structure.

If anyone is interested in a pre-production case (either for Flex-ATX or SFX) would you be willing to purchase the shell only and then wait for side panels later? Right now the Flex-ATX design is ready for more to be made, but on a made-to-order basis. Lead time is expected to be around two weeks.

Side panels can be made and shipped together with the case if I can collect several orders (minimum quantity for including the side panels would be low- in the range of 3 or 4)
Any estimates on pricing + shipping?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Any estimates on pricing + shipping?

These price estimates are for the Flex ATX version of the case.

$70 for frame only, printed in ABS
$100 for frame + side panels
~$15 for shipping in the US

GPU riser cables would be sold separately. The reason is to give users more choice on what riser they prefer to use, since they can vary widely in price. You would need a 30cm long riser with a straight angle connector.

Reactions: renecop545

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
In regards to expandable cases, three contact points, one lower than the other, should be stiff enough. Not for a 3D printed case, by very doable for a CNC'ed case. Just a thought!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
In regards to expandable cases, three contact points, one lower than the other, should be stiff enough. Not for a 3D printed case, by very doable for a CNC'ed case. Just a thought!
Ah, that makes a lot of more sense now for CNC'd cases. Maybe have the middle pieces attached with screws in holes running lengthwise and not visible from the outside.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Ah, that makes a lot of more sense now for CNC'd cases. Maybe have the middle pieces attached with screws in holes running lengthwise and not visible from the outside.

Exactly. Should make cutting the pieces easier too. I think. Make a model if you have time. Doesn't have to be perfect!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Exactly. Should make cutting the pieces easier too. I think. Make a model if you have time. Doesn't have to be perfect!

I'll try to import the STLs into Fusion 360 at first to do some more renders of what a metal version of this case can look like and try out various materials. But right now finishing up the SFX version of the design for 3D printing's higher up on my list of things to do.

I posted these newer pics on Reddit and it was well received. Another thing that a Redditor pointed out about a metal CNC case is that it would make it now compete with the Ghost S1 and DAN because of their similar layouts and larger sizes. This added flexibility to shorten or lengthen the case could be a winning factor for the metal version, and I see other cases are jumping onto similar ideas.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'll try to import the STLs into Fusion 360 at first to do some more renders of what a metal version of this case can look like and try out various materials. But right now finishing up the SFX version of the design for 3D printing's higher up on my list of things to do.

I posted these newer pics on Reddit and it was well received. Another thing that a Redditor pointed out about a metal CNC case is that it would make it now compete with the Ghost S1 and DAN because of their similar layouts and larger sizes. This added flexibility to shorten or lengthen the case could be a winning factor for the metal version, and I see other cases are jumping onto similar ideas.

The biggest issue I can see with a modular length system is PSU setup. Maybe use standardized mounts and 3D printed brackets?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The biggest issue I can see with a modular length system is PSU setup. Maybe use standardized mounts and 3D printed brackets?

I might either make screw holes to insert standoffs at locations for various PSUs, or as you said, printed brackets to adapt in the same openings.

There have been some concerns that adding more features might make the case too large and unwieldy, but not to worry, these sizes are gonna stay firm now. It should remain a case that not only looks at home on a desk but also easily able to carry in a bag for LAN parties and other events.

Reactions: Pallaf and Windfall

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have decided to first make the .stl files available for the Flex ATX version to purchase. They will be posted later today, if not tomorrow.

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
My Flex-ATX power supply arrived. I bought a Seasonic SSP300-SUB, and the 80+ bronze version has a silent fan mode in lower loads which the gold version lacks. I have not plugged it in to test components yet, but I have installed it in the case with no problems.

Huh maybe I should try out the SUB, I have the SUG with a noctua fan swap. The fan spins even low loads and while it's tolerable -- it's still noticeable. Bizarre that seasonic would make this distinction between the two units.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Big update! The .STL files for the Flex-ATX case are now available for sale on Cults3D. Price is $8 USD.

The list of necessary materials to assemble the case are found on the product page, as well as indications on printer settings. I've tried to keep the number of different types of screws to a minimum. If anyone prints the case and needs help assembling it, let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: zzmadd and dnemer

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've noted more people have asked me in the past if I could make a SFX version of this case so I think, yes, this would be possible now. Since this is a derivative of the model already released yesterday, the main task to do is just extend the case and accommodate an opening for the PSU.

Reactions: zzmadd and Windfall

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Huh maybe I should try out the SUB, I have the SUG with a noctua fan swap. The fan spins even low loads and while it's tolerable -- it's still noticeable. Bizarre that seasonic would make this distinction between the two units.
While I have the SUB, from my two weeks time with it, I notice even its fan spins up more than I had expected. It's not supposed to until 30% load but with some video watching on a web browser it spins up rather sporadically, not very loud but just like it is stsrting to kick in. It does this even though it's drawing only ~40 watts at the wall according to my wattmeter. Per spec it should spin up at 90 watts. Maybe I'll try the Noctua swap but I'm always on headphones so it's more tolerable.

Also, on the production of these cases, I've decided to go with a more different case design for the SFX version. My reasoning for this is that I want to make it accessible to more users, both in ease of building in and in printing. This requires a different design in which individual parts should not exceed 300mm in length but while still supporting 300mm long GPUs. It will be done without big compromises to the structure of the case so that it can remain very portable. The current Flex ATX design with the rounded corners will still be available. But moving forward I'm going with the newer design for printable cases as it's easier to scale up.

Reactions: Pallaf and ZMan

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Just to show you what I've been working on lately.

Again, it's going to be 3D printable, but also CNC-able. The design is such as so it will reduce the 3D printing artifacts to keep the quality of the parts more aesthetically pleasing.